PDA

View Full Version : Engin and more...

JasonSeI
03-28-2003, 08:04 AM
Prolly an old topic, but I haven't been here for it. Here are my thoughts on are little accord motor.

I'm wanting to know what would offer the most poer for less mod's or work.

I could get another motor, and a 5-speed for my accord, and build them up. Meaning rebuilding that little motor, and doing the best of the best I could do to it, and same goes for the 5-speed.

Also just a side question, if I were to do this, would I need a new wiring harness for the manaul tranny, or would the one on my accord work for it as well? Also I do need the ecu from the 5-speed car, right? Am I going to need different CV'S for the manaul or will the ones work from my auto tranny.

I know this is a bit of work, but would it offer me a big gain, or would swaping in a DOHC, and doing the mod's for the motor and the tranny, and the wiring be a better choice. Of course when I get this motor I would do the best of the best to it as well.

A buddy of mine has a lude (88 auto si) he bought this thing not running guy told him it busted a timming belt and he didn't want to put the money in to it, so my friend bought the car, put on a new different head, and put all new gaskets on it got it in to time, and still nothing, I walked over with a compression gage, and come to find out he has NO compression for the 4 piston!

He has offered the motor to me for free if I wanted it. Now would this be a fixable motor, would it work in my accord? its an auto he said I could have the tranny as well.

If I were to go with this way, would it offer better speeds, and better power than my idea of rebuilding and toping out the accord motor?

And I'm sure this has been asked, but if there is a spot that tells me more about it and a step by step of what will be needing done, then please direct me there, but here are the Questions for that as well,

What sounds bad on his motor, all the other pistions have about 160-180 compression. He has sold the distrubitor, and the cv's on ebay.

What do I need to look for on his motor to see if it is even worth taking, and were could I go to get the ecu for the manaul tranny on the lude, and the wiring harness.

Also how hard is it going to be to put in the accords bay? what will I all need to do, for mounts, and such?

Thanks, for any info, I'm in the middle of deciding on what way I "should" go (rebuild of the accord motor, and get and rebuild the 5-speed tranny) OR getting that lude motor, and rebuild it, and finding a lude 5-speed, and finding a lude wiring harness.

Will me CV's work with the lude 5-speed?

Thanks again,
Jay

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
03-28-2003, 08:11 AM
You can't put a lude motor in an Accord! Where are u from?

JasonSeI
03-28-2003, 08:14 AM
My bad would be keeping it an auto still give it the preformance I want? It has that button for shifting from 3 to 4 its like a holding button you decide when you want to shift it. Will it have that power to sqeel the tires off the line, and go fast. Keep in mind that if I keep it an auto, I'm going to rebuild the tanny as well. So I'm going to eef up the motor, and the tranny. If I were to go go this way

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
03-28-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by JasonSeI
My bad would be keeping it an auto still give it the preformance I want? It has that button for shifting from 3 to 4 its like a holding button you decide when you want to shift it. Will it have that power to sqeel the tires off the line, and go fast. Keep in mind that if I keep it an auto, I'm going to rebuild the tanny as well. So I'm going to eef up the motor, and the tranny. If I were to go go this way

Well!! You have a few options! You can either fix up that engine or swap in a new one!! U can convert your auto to 5speed!! As a matter of fact some dude here is selling the parts! Check the faq's on engine swaping! It gets pretty expensive and it's time consuming! But if u ask the right questions here you will get answers!! Good Luck!

JasonSeI
03-28-2003, 08:28 AM
Is going to a 5-speed worth it? Or when I rebild the tranny, and the motor, I will have the power I want? I can get a hook up for a 2.0 injected motor with a tranny, for about 175 bucks. I will rebuild both, and in like a weekend put them in my car. I'm just wondering is it worht it to bore it out to .30 over? and I'm going to get the haed ported and polished, and same goes for that intake. Get a 3 angle job done, and put in some high compression pistions, and such for the motor (if I can find some) and get better cam shaft, and better injectors. Will that give me a huge gain in hp, and power off the line, and in the end? I'm looking to keep up with stangs or give them a good run for the money, waste a few other hondas, and such... at a later point in time I plan to go to turbo as well, but thats downthe road a bit...

djsbon
03-28-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
You can't put a lude motor in an Accord! Where are u from?
????

i thought you could?

-grey

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
03-28-2003, 08:32 AM
dude!! what ever you choose to do!! It's going to cost money!! a 5speed conversion for our cars is worth it!!

JasonSeI
03-28-2003, 08:48 AM
ok so if I go 5-spped then I need the wireing off that motor, and the ecu right? and then I have to get 5-speed CV's or will my auto ones fit it?

bobafett
03-28-2003, 08:49 AM
you can put in an lude a20. since they are the same engine. thats why there are some prelude guys around here.. but not the prelude b20 :)

anyway with 5speed you will be able to more that "chirp" off the line... you get a much stronger pull in every gear, trust me its very worth it over an automatic. :)

if you seriously plan on doing a turbo setup (which I do) then dont get high compression pistons... you could prolly bore it, but from what i heard there isnt much meat there, so its pretty much uncharted territory as far as i know... as for the cam, injectors, p&p, those are all good mods...

check out www.openloopmotorsports.com their a20 accord is pretty quick, and has 160hp to the ground. when you start puting in wild race cams your low end power (less that 3500 for example) will suck ass...

good luck, your on the right track, not asking about getting the APC or TYPE-R window banner, good for you! :)

JasonSeI
03-28-2003, 08:55 AM
naw, that stuf will all come later WAY later, I'm going fromthe heart of the car then going to the outside, first motor, then tranny, then suspension, then rims tires, breaks, then interior redone, then the body kit and the paint job...

SO any how if I go to this car today, get my 5 speed, I will need the wireing harness off the motor, and the ecu and the cv's or no???

JasonSeI
03-28-2003, 09:47 AM
and also for the clutch pedal, will I need the hole set or just the one, or the break, and clutch pedal? also will I need a gage cluster for the manaul, or will my auto gage cluster be fine, and later when I get my over lays it will be fine.

JasonSeI
03-28-2003, 10:50 AM
Ok been doing a bit more thouhgt and calling around, I ran in t a problem... or so I think I have one. As far as I know most, and all I think 5-speeds came with a carb set up, and I have FI, SO I need the wire harness for the 5-speed, and ecu, but I need my ecu and wire harness for the FI Right???

So possable keepingit an auto is a better idea and just topingout the tranny with a shift kit and a higher stall??

SOme insight please!

Jason

anchovies
03-28-2003, 01:51 PM
Your questions about the tranny swap can be found in the How-Tos.
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102

hth

dXsquared
03-28-2003, 02:10 PM
you need to say what car ou have...

LX/DX
LXi?

and then you need to find the same motor as yours, with a 5 speed. get the shit you need from that car from that thread, and bring it home... LXi and DX/LX both came with 5 speeds, you just have to look..

Travis

bobafett
03-28-2003, 05:04 PM
plenty of FI motors had 5speeds. the worst that will happen if you end up with a carbed tranny is having taller gears, which helps gas milage! :)