PDA

View Full Version : H4s....

azaccord
03-29-2003, 11:31 AM
what happens if you take out that weird bulb cover thing on the H4 conversions from eBay? its metallic plastic and looks like the biodome inside my light, i dont like it.

accordlx
03-30-2003, 05:11 AM
The short answer is nothing. That is because we are all running H4 bulbs in our cars. H4's along with all other US spec bulbs have that little coating on the end of the bulb. This little coating is meant to make it so that you don't blind the guy coming towards you at night. My BMW takes 9006 bulbs but has projectors. Projector beam lights are not meant to be run with 9006 but the US government mandated that BMW install the 9006 in an effort to "tone down" the amount of actual candle power of the headlight. If you take a 9005 bulb and modify it to work in a projector headlight, you get almost twice the candle power output than running a 9006. The 9005 bulb does not have the little coating at the tip of the bulb. I run Sylvania 9005's in the BMW projector and they have over twice the brightness of a regular 9006 bulb at the same wattage. The tip on the 9006 and the tip and sleeve on the H4 in both cases limit the output of the headlight. If you could find some non coated H4 bulbs, it would make a difference.

I hope that answers your question.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-30-2003, 05:20 AM
Wow I never knew why those coatings were on the tip. Makes sense. Do you have a brand preference? I have had Xenon and Eurolite. My Xenons were nice and blue and my eurolites have a tint of purple with the high beams. My g/f loves it b/c that's her fav. color. Mine is blue so I hate it but I dont want to drop another $45 on bulbs right now.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-30-2003, 05:28 AM
I also noticed that the Xenon bulbs were brighter. Different watts I guess. I don't want to switch back to xenon b/c I think that might have been the reason my combo switch went out. Too high of watts for the switch to handle. Does that sound right?

azaccord
03-30-2003, 12:32 PM
so i can take it out if i wanted to. thats good to know, thanks.

dXsquared
03-30-2003, 12:45 PM
i wanna drop like 70 bucks on a set of bulbs... i paid 10 bucks for mine.. so they are pretty shitty, but a little better than stock...

i always wonder when some nice silverstars would be like!

Travis

DBMaster
03-30-2003, 01:54 PM
The only amperage going through the combination switch is the small amount that is needed to actuate the headlight relays. There is a separate relay for each side. The relays are heavy duty enough to take the amperage draw of a 100 watt headlight bulb. I found that when I was running that high of a wattage bulb I would smell the unmistakable aroma of cooking wiring and my dash clock kept resetting itself. I mail ordered a pair of Hella 55/60's and the problem went away.

Several people on here have said they run 100 watt bulbs with no problems. My recommendation is thta it will not be good long term, but who knows.

MrBen
03-30-2003, 02:00 PM
I have not had a single problem with running 100 watt bulbs. If anyone is interested in what I have now, it is PCP Motorsports 12V 100/90W. 4200K Snow-White light. They are decent.

cdscowboy
03-30-2003, 11:30 PM
I really like my PIAA Xtremes...they put of a good white light and were well worth the $60 I paid for them. So that's my recommendation for brightness.

SiR
03-30-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by cdscowboy
I really like my PIAA Xtremes...they put of a good white light and were well worth the $60 I paid for them. So that's my recommendation for brightness.

Those are the best, I use the Xtreme Whites also. Go to www.optauto.com I think they cost $35 for the pair.