PDA

View Full Version : Oh no!!!!! Some one please help me!!!

89AccordLXI666
03-29-2003, 01:23 PM
Ok I noticed my car temp getting a little too hot than normal... the needle pointed towards the second to last line before the car over heats... welll turns out my little white resivor tank where u put anti-freeze/coolant fluid in it, has a little leak in the tank..... so now obviously I have to get another tank... now the thing is, can I still drive around with the car like that or no?? I did add some water into the radiator itself so, is it going to be ok to drive my accord around or no? Please some 1 help me out here.... I got questions, I'm sure some one has an answer.....LOL Thanks guy's... Lataz :bow:

'A20A3'
03-29-2003, 03:20 PM
my best advice would be not to drive the car until you get the new tank, but if you absolutly have to, only go real short distances.

dXsquared
03-29-2003, 03:23 PM
drive it to the junkyard.. just crimp the hose to the tank, and fill the rad with water.. it will be ok... change the tank and it will be aight

Travis

A20A1
03-29-2003, 04:27 PM
I haven't had my tank hooked up in years...
You don't need that tank you need to fix your overheating problem...

89AccordLXI666
03-30-2003, 08:31 AM
Well it hasn't gotten to the "H" symbol yet... the needle pointed to the SECOND to last last line on the temp gauge, but it was close...... Hey A20A1.... what do u mean u don't need that little white tank foir the anti-freeze/coolant???? I'm almost positive you need it...... and if you don't really need it, please tell me how u can fix the over heating problem without that little resevior?? Cuz I find that statement to be false.... not to offend you or anything.. :( But I just find it hard to have the car survive like that without that little white tank.... unless your planning on carrying a few gallons of water in your trunk to keep putting in the radiator everytime your car overheats then that's just ridiculous if ya ask me....... But I do however apreciate the help your providing me with... now if you can explain your theory about not wanting to have to use the white resevior tank please do explain this...... Thanks again guy's lataz. :D

shepherd79
03-30-2003, 08:53 AM
your overheating problem is caused by faulty thermostat.

89AccordLXI666
03-30-2003, 06:49 PM
Hey shepherd79.... how could it be caused by a faulty thermostat???? I just put a new one in about 3 weeks ago.... I don't understand what your trying to tell me about having a faulty thermostat...... are u referrung to that I put it in wrong, cuz I didn't.... I picked up a brand new one at Auto Zone and put it in, and that was like 3 weeks ago..... funny thing was, when I went to go and replace the thermostat, there wasn't one in there in the first place, thats pretty :werd: Huh??? But n e ways, I still have to replace the damn little resevor tank for the anti-freeze/coolant, but for now, the car hasn't gotten to the point to where it was like I mentioned in my first post.... I guess it happened in warmer weather, I also poured anti-freeze/coolant into the radiator itself along with water cuz it needs to be 50-50 ya know what I mean..... but n e ways thanks guy's for the help I apreciate it... hey A20A1.... I'm still wondering about your situation with your radiator... please post me a reply about it I'm very interested in what u have to say about it... so hurry up....LOL j/k whenever you get the chance.... :lol Thanks again everyone Lataz ;)

A20A1
03-30-2003, 07:06 PM
The thermal switch for the fans may be on it's way out.
The radiator may have too much fluid in it... or too little fluid from pockets of air if you don't bleed the system.

I can run my car without so much as a spurt from the radiator...

so maybe your cap is weak.

The tank is useless... some say is syphons back up fluids, but it doesn't, you need to slide it out and pour the fluids in... I used to think it was important too... but after I fixed all my coolant problems it just became dead weight and the water was grose sitting there for so long... so yeah I keep a gallon mix of 50/50 coolant and water in the trunk. But I have never needed it so far.

oh BTW which direction did you face the thermostat?

netfreak
03-30-2003, 07:25 PM
If you have to drive, put your vents on hot and your fans on max and roll down the windows.

89AccordLXI666
03-30-2003, 07:32 PM
Yo netfreak... what the heck is that supposed to do???

89AccordLXI666
03-30-2003, 07:37 PM
Hey A20A1... I know the thermostat is got a cone shape to it sorta like a hat, I put the thermostat in the way it supposed to, The cone part goes into like facing the engine and the other part is out.... Damn I wish I had a diagram to show u, it would be explained alot better.... but n e ways I knoe for a fact it isn't the thermostat, it's that stupid container that had a leak in in and thats what made the car almost overheat, well it was headed in that direction, plus from the little container having nothing in it at all, cuz it cracked, I also barely had nothing in the radiator so thats why it almost came close to overheating, but I'm still going to replace it or I will seal it up with something..... Lataz

Elijah
03-30-2003, 07:51 PM
89Accordlxi666 are you refering to my focus on your signature cause my ford 4door is my winter car but it will beat most of the cars on here.Propily ur's to.

89AccordLXI666
03-30-2003, 08:08 PM
hey Elijah.... my signiture wan't dissin any fords what so ever, I have no problems with fords.... I just made my signiture like that cuz I heard it in a rap song, so I'm not trying to offend anyone with fords, although I have to admit I don't like the ford focus at all..... but that's just my own opinion.... as for you beating us with your ford focus, well I dunno, but alot of people on the board too have pretty fast 3geez so I bet some could beat your car, no offense, but it also depends what you got underneith the hood of your ford and what type of work u have done to it, but I doubt u did n e thing to it since u said it was just a winter beater, but I wouldn't know that cuz I've never seen your car in person, but if your challenging me for a race, your on pal....
:lol..... I do however remember reading in a post in the racing stories section on 3geez, that many people have raced against a ford focus, and have won numberous times and well I just don't think your car stands a chance against some peoples 3geez.... but like I said, it depends on if you did any work to the engine..... but anyways I'm not going to make this a debate cuz it isn't worth my time... :lol Lataz

89AccordLXI666
03-30-2003, 08:10 PM
oh and Elijah... no I wasn't referring to your car in anyway, I was saying it in general, in my signiture... Lataz

AvgWhtMale
03-30-2003, 08:52 PM
running the heater and opening the windows will help cool your engine by venting the heat from the engine into the passenger compartment. That resovoir is supposed to take up excess coolant when the coolant expands (due to temperature increase) and feed the radiator when the coolant cools off. I used to drive a '67 Chevelle without a resovoir and it ran just fine. Then again, that was Detroit's finest, not Tokyo's...

Blue Impact
03-30-2003, 09:25 PM
Your problem reminds me of mine years ago. It was the thermostat that I ended up changing. You might wanna look into that.

Here's my problem. I could get the car to run for like a mile, then the temperature needle for the gauge would be at 3/4 the way up and if I don't turn the car off for a while before going again, then the needle just works its way to the car being hot. After changing the thermostat, it went back to normal.

89AccordLXI666
03-31-2003, 05:28 AM
Oh I see what your saying AvgWhtMale and Blue Impact....... I think I may look into the whole thermostat thing.... well I believe I got the 109 degree thermostat, I know autozone gave me a pretty hot one.... well does anyone know off hand which degree type of thermostat that is required for an 86 Accord LX 5 speed carbed??? I just told autozone year and make and model of my car and they just gave me what was on the computer.... what sucks is, I just replaced it 3 weeks ago and now I may have to go back and get another one....... Oh and another thing.... where is the valve so I can bleed/drain the cooing system, I'm going to buy some new antifreeze/coolant, and add 50 percent coolant, then 50 percent water, and see what happens from there.... I may try to seal up that stupid little crack in the resevior.... also, If I wanted to replace the stupid white resevoir, how the hell would I take it off? Thanks again guy's.... Lataz

A20A1
03-31-2003, 05:43 AM
the valve is on the thermostat housing... it looks like a nipple.. you turn it with a 12mm wrench untill you see coolant squirt out of the hole... don't turn it too far or the nipple will fall out.

anchovies
03-31-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by 89AccordLXI666
If I wanted to replace the stupid white resevoir, how the hell would I take it off?

Pull straight up.

89AccordLXI666
04-02-2003, 08:05 AM
Hey guys... well figured out the problem.,.... Well the resevoir tank thing is still cracked of coarse, but it turned out to be the thermostat housing.... The bottom bolt snaped off... I managed to take the thermostat housing off and grabed some plyers and took off the broken bolt and replaced it with a new one... I recaulked around the whole thermostat housing with that blue gasket sealer stuff and everything seems to be in operating order... Thanks to the people in here for devoting you time to help me out... Thanks guy's your the greatest... Lataz :)

Morpheus
04-02-2003, 12:11 PM
My radiator was leaking like that. I just filled it up with water everyday before i drove it.

buzzbomber88lx
04-02-2003, 02:22 PM
yeah definitely go really short distances if you have to. I drove my '64 galaxie around 20 miles without a radiator and it f-ed it all up. I miss that car!!!