PDA

View Full Version : what the hell

'A20A3'
03-29-2003, 10:29 PM
i think something is seriously wrong with my transmission. i have a 88 lx-i 4-door automatic, and its been acting real wierd. when i put it in reverse, from a dead stop, on level ground, and i let off the brake, it's supposed to idle in reverse real slow. mine has stopped doing this, i have to tap the gas a little to get any response. it's weird. i dunno, this may just me being paranoid, but i'm worried as fuck. does anyone might know what the hell is causing this and if it's serious.:confused:

thanks

A20 FOR LIFE

Jareds 89 LX-i
03-29-2003, 11:02 PM
Don't jump to conclusions all too fast... it could be several things. Brakes could be sticking slightly, causing a bit more power being required to move it. This could be the parking brake, frozen caliper dragging, etc. It could also be that your idle speed is a little too slow, and not fast enough to move the car until you tap the gas. Could also be wheel bearings gone bad, causing extra drag, or low tire pressure too. Then again, it could be your transmission! :D If your tranny is working fine otherwise though and isn't slipping, then I doubt this would be a sign of failure (although I could be wrong! Someone correct me if I am).

So check your tire pressure, then jack up all 4 wheels and see if they spin freely (remember to release the parking brake and put in in N). There will be some slight drag on the front wheels due to the nature of CV joints. Check for play in all wheels by grabbing each side of the tire and trying to shake it (in and out, back and forth). This will tell you if balljoints/tierods, and wheel bearings are bad or not.

:)

'A20A3'
03-29-2003, 11:05 PM
thanks man. i'll do all that shit tomorrow if it'snot raining and i'm not asleep. peace.

A20 FOR LIFE