PDA

View Full Version : Now I Know Where the P/S Fluid is Going

DBMaster
03-30-2003, 01:58 PM
Well, I finally know why I have been having to add P/S fluid every month or so. Both boots on my tie rods are ripped open and wet with fluid. Obviously, the leak is not too bad because when I am adding the fluid is just down to the lower line on the reservoir.

I know several of you have dealt with this already. I imagine it can go quite a while like this before the leaks get to be more serious, but what are the options. Can the tie rod seals be replaced along with the boots, or is it steering rack city for me?

Thanks!

AccordEpicenter
03-30-2003, 07:54 PM
if you can deal with the leak, deal with it, if not, it looks like a new rack for you... I hate power steering...

Jareds 89 LX-i
03-30-2003, 09:03 PM
I swear... am I the only one here that's never had a single p/s leak?? hahah Still on all original hoses and rack and everything, and I've never once had to add any fluid (I did change it once though). I'm high mileage too! Oh well...I'm not complaining! :D

Sorry, I can't answer your question on the seals though. From looking at the diagram on Majestics site ( CLICK HERE (http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=2DR+LXI&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=P.S.+GEAR+BOX+COMPONENTS) ), it looks pretty complicated. If it were me I'd just get a rebuilt rack, cuz then you have all new stuff inside and you know it's put in right. Probably end up being alot easier than trying to replace the seals individually with it still in the car. That's just me though....

:)

AvgWhtMale
03-30-2003, 09:06 PM
My power steering rack was rebuilt by the previous owner. I think it was like a $2500 job or so (Honda dealer)

87accordlxi
03-30-2003, 09:28 PM
bad seals = need a new rack

i cant wait til mine go completely :rolleyes:. will probably mean the end of my car seeing as it's not really worth spending that much money

AccordEpicenter
03-30-2003, 10:08 PM
yeah, for now im living with the leak, i need a bottle of ps fluid about every other month or so, its not too bad but i still hate the power steering. Youd be shocked at how many people have problems with power steering leaks.

AZmike
03-30-2003, 10:30 PM
I had a slow leak until the control valve stuck and dumped 80% of the fluid out in about 20 feet. You can get a lifetime warranted remanned rack for about $150. The seal kit is about $65, takes more work (and probably special tools), and will not solve the problem is it's caused by a sticking control valve.

DBMaster
03-31-2003, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the information. I was about to check with my local Honda shop about just having them do the work, but I agree that I would probably just have other leaks develop later after fixing these. The car does have over 200,000 miles on it after all. If the leaks stay as minor as they are now for a while I'll bet I can go a long time before having to replace that rack, too.

Hell, there is no P/S fluid dripping on the floor in the garage. There ARE oil and transmission fluid drips, though. :)

The transaxle case seals leak slowly as well as the oil pan gasket. Neither are bad enough to warrant messing with it because I rarely have to add oil and never have to add transmission fluid. When you start trying to fix every leak on a car this old the cost and time can mount up pretty quickly.

I am sad to say that within the next two years I will probably be getting a new car, anwyay. This one has been very good to me, but with family and job commitments I no longer have the time I used to for working on cars. By the looks of the boots they have probably already been ripped open for monts. The one on the passenger side is completely separated into two pieces and the one on the driver side is almost that bad. Strange that I must have have overlooked those at the last oil change.