PDA

View Full Version : a20a3 motor swap???

od2681
03-30-2003, 02:40 PM
my question was that has anyone tried to find a japanese a20a3 and tried to swap it into the USDM 3rd gens...i really dont know if they had the a20a3 in the Japanese domestic market...maybe it was some other engine code...but this is my question....has anyone done this or has tried to do this...cuzz i know that in japan that you have to change your motor every 36K miles or KM...or they have to buy a new car...may be this is a stupid question but i really wanted to do this.....
pls dont flame me for this question....cuz im serious bout this
im a dx user damnit:D

netfreak
03-30-2003, 03:38 PM
I'm guessing you're talking about the A20A4. I think there is no difference at all between the engines. My car was manufactured in Japan and has the A4. Swapping it would be completely pointless unless your engine is dying. I've heard that japanese engines take a beating while they're alive.

od2681
03-30-2003, 04:01 PM
i know there is no difference..but just wanted to get hte japanese motor..you know cuzz they have low miles and stuff...

RobT5580
03-30-2003, 04:42 PM
I did this a year or so ago maybe two but they are exacly the same with the exception of the thermostat housing and exhaust manifold. I picked mine up from Nippon Motors in California and it was in very good shape. The pulleys were damaged in shipping but other than that it was perfect. I actually found that motor to be in much better shape than newer JDM motors such as my friends JDM H22 and others that i have seen. But Nippon was good to do business with and would recommend them from my experience.

Good Luck!

carotman
03-30-2003, 04:48 PM
Actually the Accord Coupe in Japan has an A20A3. They were imported from the US tough.

The JDM A20A is only labeled A20A

djsbon
03-30-2003, 05:43 PM
as i found out yesterday, japanese engines do not have numbers after the second letter.

ie.
a20a1 - us
a20a - japanese

-grey the master of green tea.

89 Accords Rock
04-03-2003, 07:39 AM
You can get the A20A3 in the JDM market. I actually just got mine in today from LuckyStar Japaneesee auto parts. 400 CAN and the motor is awsome. all compression tested and everything. and actulayy the JDM one has 5 extra horse on the USDM engine.

od2681
04-03-2003, 08:31 AM
so is the USDM tranny compatible with the JDM motor????

carotman
04-03-2003, 10:48 AM
Did you actually read my post????

I already said that the A20A3 WAS available in Japan on the Accord coupe.

It was imported from the US and build in the US too.

It doesn't have any more HP...

Now for the transmission....

The JDM engine is an A20A right???? and your transmission was meant to go with an A20A, Make your own conclusions.

Grant2k
04-03-2003, 08:02 PM
do they seriously have to replace the engine after so many certain miles? wierd. i know they have low miles, but remember they are all city miles.

Immeraufdemhund
04-07-2003, 05:29 AM
watch the news if they didn't replace their motors so quickly they'd have extra pollution. With the extra pollution theyd have more deaths going on. Even with all the new engines they are having a really bad time with pollution and it's killed a couple of people. So yah they really do have change, think of what just a couple of cars would do if they had broken piston rings. Bicycles are a good thing from what i'm told.

89dxaccord
04-08-2003, 11:37 AM
does the a20a3 usdm fit in a 4 door 89dx that had an a20a1?

IWLSF
04-08-2003, 01:00 PM
Replacing the carb'd with a FI model? It'll fit perfect, but you just need a huuuuuuuge list of mods as far as fuel injected parts needed. There's a How To talking about it if you want to find it.

smufguy
04-09-2003, 07:43 AM
God forbid, one more newbie here says JDM A20A3 i will kick his nuts. If ur vin number says JHM it was made in japan, if it says 1HG or what not, it was built in USA. You gotta know that they did make 3rd gens here in US and Japan and some cars were actually exported from the US to Japan like Carotman mentioned. THey are the friggin same motor man. IF u wanna talk about JDM talk about B20A. PERIOD. read the friggin post that people make her and not just read the very first post and start answering or asking questions. :rolleyes: :rant: .

Anywho, 89dxaccord the efi block would fit directly in the carb mounting like IWLSF said. U will see a lil increase in power if u put a efi block instead of a carb block.

Grant2k
04-09-2003, 08:14 AM
if you just want to drive the car and the engine is the only part going bad then just put the carb back on it.

od2681
04-09-2003, 10:34 AM
smufguy
i dont know if you are talkin about me....my car does have a vin that goes JHM....but the only reason i wanted the japanese engine is not cuzz of JDM shit...it is cuzz i want a low mileage engine....
I dont know if you meant that for me....if you did screw you...and if you didnt sorry

smufguy
04-09-2003, 12:55 PM
od2681>> i posted in reference to your message, not specifically towards you. I read what everyone was talking about and i was speaking generally cause it seemed to 'me' that some of them were kinda going off track with the whole JDM issue. it was not meant to offend you or attack your knowledge or anything. If it did, i am sorry. BUt do know that it was not meant for you personally.

od2681
04-09-2003, 05:52 PM
thanks for clearin that up