PDA

View Full Version : keyless entry/plocks/alarm/remote start

bobafett
05-30-2002, 01:51 PM
i want all these features in my car! whats teh best place to start?

if it all works realllllllly good, i might even get door poppers and shave it all when i paint it! (that may be overkill though)

how difficult is it to install these features? and how much should it cost? (i am a DYI'er, and will try to tackle most things myself!)

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
05-30-2002, 05:59 PM
Well First off..:cool:
If u get a remote starter, u are gonna need power locks.. The package includes( alarm, sensors & Keyless entry ).. It would be a waste to purchase this type of system and not have power locks..imagine..You can turn your car on , but u still have to use your key open your door...

I had two power locks installed and a prestige alarm ( not remote starter) for 400bucks..:stupid:
It has never failed me ( yet ) meaning the power locks.. I might upgrade to remote starter, but rather upgrade something else...But if u want it...Go For It!~:lol

dj99
05-30-2002, 07:01 PM
I did it myself about a month ago, but did not go for an all out alarm or remote start (I'm not Auto Trans/EFI), although these are simply added.

I had good luck buying an inexpensive keyless entry system through www.autotoys.com. They have cheap systems, relays, door/trunk pops. Check the net for the right wire colors to tap for your HB. Find out all you can first, including how many relays you need. I needed 4 relays for trunk pop, dome light, horn and a special one with a diode for the starter kill.

I got the crimestopper 845RKE that has 2 4-button key fobs (lock, unlock, trunk/aux, panic), keyless entry, dome light supervision, starter kill, panic button, ignition alarm (honks the horn and flashes lights if somebody doesn't use the keyless, i.e. a cheap alarm), and a cool flashing LED for the dash.

It cost $70 total, but you would have to pay more for your door poppers and necessary relays.

I learned a lot doing it, and can maybe answer some questions.

89accordlxi
05-31-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by bobafett
i want all these features in my car! whats teh best place to start?

how difficult is it to install these features? and how much should it cost? (i am a DYI'er, and will try to tackle most things myself!)

I have all of the above on my car. I am fortunate to have an lx-i with power locks. I have an autopage alarm with keyless entry and a remote starter. I installed it all myself. The alarm was pretty easy. The hardest part was finding the wires for the power locks and parking lights(so they flash when arming and disarming) under the dash. But if you are going to get power locks installed separateley, then those wires will be obvious. You will probably want to run a pin switch under the hood too so that the alarm will sound if your hood is open. Plus finding a place to mount the siren. There are features on the alarm that I am not using like the aux/trunk popper since our cars don't have electric trunk poppers unless you have one installed of course, and the starter kill.

The remote starter took me probably 6-8 hours to install. It really isn't too difficult, there is just a lot of wires to run and connect. You will need to find the ignition wire, accessory wire and starter wire under the steering column. Plus the brake wire, parking light wire(if you want them to come on to know that the car is started), run the antena wire, power wire, and pin switch under the hood so that the car won't start if the hood is open. Mine also has the option of disarming the alarm so that the alarm won't go off when starting the car, but I have not done this yet so I still have to disarm the alarm with the alarm remote then start the car.

These are just some of the steps neccesary to do these tasks. Depending on what alarm and remote starter you get, your installation will be somewhat different.
My alarm was $150 used and remote starter start at about $100
Plus any relays or accessories you will need, your bill may be any where from $300 and up. More if you have a shop do the install.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions, feel free to PM me or respond at this post.
Good luck with what ever you end up doing.
Peace out.