PDA

View Full Version : URGENT need help with tranny flush

netfreak
03-30-2003, 04:51 PM
Ok I look at the Haynes and then I look at my car.. This makes no sense. Nowhere do I see the drain plug as indicated in the picture. I see a plug that MIGHT be a drain plug but it doesn't match the Haynes picture.. Anyone have a good pic (either diagram or real picture) of the plug? This is for an automatic transmission too.

EDIT: OK here is a picture of my tranny.. this is what I can see and hopefully it's one of those cause I can't go any further. Someone please tell me it's one of these bolts

http://car.preterhuman.net/pics/teh_plug_mb.jpg

SiR
03-30-2003, 05:18 PM
Its the one with the 1/4" square end on it, right on the center of the pic. Just use the end of your rachet with out the any socket.

netfreak
03-30-2003, 05:48 PM
WOOHOO THANKS! Pretty easy to get at. Someone should make a HOW-TO for transmission flushing.

turfnnsurf
03-30-2003, 06:11 PM
The best "how-to" for a Trans flush is to take your car to a certified shop to flush the trans, it takes some special equipment and i think the car has to be running to actually flush the tranny completely. Otherwise just changine the trans fluid is just that "a change of fluid" not a true flush of the system..

netfreak
03-30-2003, 06:24 PM
Well a change in fluid is what I need anyway. I just need to keep this thing alive for a few months.

netfreak
03-30-2003, 06:42 PM
OK THEN... I can't make the bolt budge. I might have a shop do it because I have no way of getting under the vehicle to make the job easier.

danronian
03-30-2003, 07:41 PM
Just slide a pipe over the ratchet and pull the mother. I had to use a foot long pipe over the ratchet for the drain and fill hole, the shop that did it before made them way to tight, I had to pull so hard that the whole car was moving! I used jack stands though, made it much easier to access.

netfreak
03-30-2003, 07:59 PM
Yeah unfortunately I don't have stands that I can trust so I have very little space to work with. I tried again this time using my foot but no go.

SiR
03-30-2003, 09:57 PM
Use some penatrating shit on it to loosen them up. Mine had the same problem when I did them for the first time. Seems that mechanics dont know the concept of a "tourqe wrench" Luckly I had my electic impact gun. That thing has saved me countless times for years!

Jareds 89 LX-i
03-30-2003, 10:22 PM
Damn mechanics.... when I went to do mine, the shop that changed the fluid before had put the fill bolt on soooo tight, I couldn't get it off for shit. Even with my big 1/2 inch drive breaker bar, it wouldn't budge and I ended up stripping the bolt. Had to take it into a shop and they used the big torch, got it glowing red/orange, and it finally came off. Read: 32 ft. lbs!!! Not 132, LOL

netfreak
03-30-2003, 11:56 PM
Which way does the bolt turn? I might attempt it again with some help from a hammer.

Jareds 89 LX-i
03-31-2003, 12:09 AM
It's got normal threads.... righty tighty, lefty loosy

netfreak
03-31-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Jareds 89 LX-i
righty tighty, lefty loosy

Haha my friend said that when I was talking to him on the phone a few minutes ago. I called him gay...