PDA

View Full Version : have you guys heard of cold cathode tubes?

bobafett
05-30-2002, 02:11 PM
they are used in computer cases that are tricked out...

they look badass... and have many reasons they are better than neons.

for example. (they are quieter, not as warm, take less power (not sure about that though) and they are WAY brighter, they are also smaller... .25")

i know people used to mount neons in there computer cases, and now everyone uses cold cathode tubes.... they can be custom made to any length, so you could talk to someone about making a underbody kit sized version... it would look 50x better i think... let me find some pics of these to show you what i am talking about..

check out www.coolcasegallery.net and www.virtual-hideout.net for now till i can find cool pics...

PS, this may be old news to you, but i HATE seeing big clunky neons in cars, and this might be a way to get the same cool light factor, with a very low profile!

bobafett
05-30-2002, 02:26 PM
http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/zxmods_green_cc_kit/index.shtml

http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/pcmods_cathode/index.shtml

here are a few article.. but if you look thru the cool case gallery, you will see some truely impressive lighting!

Bobs89LXi
05-30-2002, 05:43 PM
Cold cathode lighting is usually used as backlighting for LED monitors. They do initially use less power. However, it takes almost as high voltage to light than CRT's, and neon tubes. The voltages used in those things will kick you on your butt. A standard laptop cold cathode backlight uses 5000 volts. :eek:

Sabz5150
05-30-2002, 07:38 PM
Bob -

LCD, not LED :)

Anywho, yeah, they do require some beefy voltage... I've been zapped by neon transformers before. They have a way of letting you know what you did wrong.

Not as bad as touching the output wire on a TV flyback though, also known as 'the happy wire'.

-5150 :bandit:

CoAsTeR
05-30-2002, 08:19 PM
YOUCH!.......... touching the wire on the flyback transformer.....

thats like a kick in the ballz! by a horse on roids... :)

bobafett
05-30-2002, 08:37 PM
well i dont know how much voltage these use... but they run from a 12v source, into an inverter... so it can run from our car batteries...

and yes, some cd players DO use CCD backlit displays... though led/lcd displays are still very common

Bobs89LXi
05-30-2002, 08:41 PM

You're going to have to give the old man a break. The mind is the first thing to go. I MEANT LCD. :huh:

POS carb
05-30-2002, 10:30 PM
once I was wiping the dust off a 32" tv and the tape was done rewinding so with my other hand I went to hit the "Eject" button and it sent a huge static discharge from the screen to the body of the VCR and threw my arm back into my forehead and left a bruise. That shit was insane

POS carb
05-30-2002, 10:32 PM
shit how much are those cathode kits? that would be a nice project!

bobafett
05-30-2002, 10:36 PM
try contacting the guy at www.zxmods.com

from what i understand, he makes these out of his basement or something. and i bet he could do custom lengths.... its like 25-40 for a one foot kit.... so its not too spendy... i think you can get it cheaper too, if you dont want pretty color coordinated shrink wrap!

bobafett
05-30-2002, 10:40 PM
damn, zxmods is down right now.. you could email him tho

here is another site, with higher prices... to give you an idea....

http://www.pcmods.com/list.asp?DepID=6&CtgID=10

HostileJava
05-31-2002, 04:59 AM
They can get to be pretty expensive. When I was modding out my case a payed $40 bux a piece for three 12" lights. That included protective casing around them and an inverter for each.

A20A1
06-01-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by POS carb
once I was wiping the dust off a 32" tv and the tape was done rewinding so with my other hand I went to hit the "Eject" button and it sent a huge static discharge from the screen to the body of the VCR and threw my arm back into my forehead and left a bruise. That shit was insane

Try holding exposed wires while a friend decides to plug the other end into the wall. My entire body tried to flip while I was sitting on my butt... so I ended up rolling on the ground untill the wires burnt and the connection was cut off.
:stupid:

Sabz5150
06-02-2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by CoAsTeR
YOUCH!.......... touching the wire on the flyback transformer.....

thats like a kick in the ballz! by a horse on roids... :)

Heh, yep... It's caleld a FLY-BACK for a reason. Because that's EXACTLY what you will do. :lol

-5150 :bandit: