PDA

View Full Version : Tps???

2Fast_Fiero
03-30-2003, 10:20 PM
Ok, the other day at my house I got 7 Blinks on the ECU. Now from the list on here, thats a TP Sensor. I got it a few times. But then I didn't get it. Well today the car stalled on me and I finaly just got it running 5 hours later. I went to wal-mart to buy some antifreeze cause I have a leak under the intake manifold. And I could not start the car. Everytime I started it, it would be at like 250rpm and if I touched the trottle, it would die. I finaly pumped it fast enough to get it to get a high enough rpm to actualy start up. My check engine light was on when I finaly started it, and I drove back to my brothers apt were I'm at now. I looked at my ECU, and it was blinking 7. So could this be my problem at starting? and what else could this effect??? Also..even tho this does not have to do with the TP Sensor....Since I did a 88 A20A3 swap, the difference in the exhaust is the 4-2-1 Exhaust Manifold. on the 87 I cut the muffler off and put a 3A Racing Tip, it never backfired. Well now I hear backfireing, and the exhaust sound is very rough. Any insight on this? Wednesday I'm getting a Flow Master 60 Series exhaust custom welded on 2.25" pipes. Will this fix my problem with the rough sound and backfireing?

AZmike
03-30-2003, 10:37 PM
When the TPS goes bad the computer starts running in backup mode. It has a whole lot of trouble figuring out how much fuel to put in since it has no idea how far the throttle is open. This problem is not related to your exhaust. Download the full Honda service manual (should be listed in the FAQs)and follow the TPS troubleshooting instructions.

2Fast_Fiero
03-30-2003, 11:32 PM
Which part should I download? My brother told me he spent $30 on a new OEM TPS for his Dodge Spirit V6. I don't know why it would just go bad, its the TPS from the 87 that was running perfect. Unless we droped the entire intake and it landed on it. Cause sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. How much do you think I should spend on a new and used TPS?

1988starter
03-31-2003, 05:43 AM
That might be the problem using the tps from an 87 in an 88

AZmike
03-31-2003, 09:04 AM
Starter is probably right. People seem to run into a lot of problems when using a computer with sensors it wasn't meant to work with.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-31-2003, 09:08 AM
Hehehe sorry, I was just thinking about the TPS reports on Office Space :)

2Fast_Fiero
03-31-2003, 01:52 PM
I am using an 87 TPS on an 87 Intake Manifold, which is bolted onto an 88 engine, which is running off of the 87 ECU and Engine Harness. You might be right tho.......Because when the 87 engine was running, we DID NOT have any problems. I'm at work right now and my break is over in like 2 minutes. So I must go. I will reply back sometime after 5. Also....how can I repair a Engine Coolant Hose? There is one under the intake manifold that goes up through the middle of the intake manifold that has a small slit in it, it sprays all my coolant all over my exhaust, and it looks like my car is smoking.

AccordEpicenter
03-31-2003, 05:13 PM
just get a TB from the JY and hook it up, youll have a hell of a time trying to replace just the sensor.

AZmike
03-31-2003, 05:41 PM
Buy the hose new. They're pretty cheap. If you're not going to the dealer be sure to bring the old one so you get the correct replacement.

AvgWhtMale
03-31-2003, 05:44 PM
Didn't you get the memo? There are new coversheets for TPS reports.

AvgWhtMale
03-31-2003, 05:45 PM
BTW, WTF is a TPS?

-JFA

2Fast_Fiero
03-31-2003, 06:14 PM
TPS = Throttle Position Sensor. I did a diagnostic on the car today, found out I'm running on 3 cylinders. 1 of my injectors is bad and not running. My ECU is punching the TPS Code (7) still. So I'm gonna call some Junk Yards around here for a TB. I have my dad looking at the 88 Intake Manifold for whats left of Injectors on it. If not I'm gonna call up a few places and friends to see if anyone has a spare they can hook me up with.

AZmike
04-01-2003, 09:19 AM
If you're not able to find a complete manifold I think I may have a couple of spare injectors somewhere.

2Fast_Fiero
04-01-2003, 11:19 AM
Thats cool, Thx. My dad is meeting me after work at my APT. to give me the 2 Injectors he pulled off of the 88 Manifold. Hopefully one of those works.

johnwc723
04-01-2003, 10:22 PM
if you need to buy new injectors, go to http://www.nopionline.com/
i had to buy 4 new injectors because mine were leaking like hell

i got REMANUFACTURED ones but they are working just fine, and they were only like $30ea and they look like they are new :)

2Fast_Fiero
04-02-2003, 07:11 AM
Ok, 1 of the 2 injectors my dad brought me were leaking. But one wasn't and I installed that one, and WOW!!!! I found power! Take off in 3rd Gear and that will simulate what my 1st Gear take off was, now this car has some MAD Torque and HP. Its running smooth now. Its reliable now. It passed all the tests. YAY! Now I just need to fix one of the ECT Sensors. Its flashing a Code 6 on the ECU. And the Check Engine light stays on. To pass emissions that cannot be on. Thats an automatic fail. Juan (OldSchoolSwap) told me it was the sensor that is closest to the head. Is this correct?

2Fast_Fiero
04-02-2003, 07:12 AM
BTW, Thank you all for your help! I apretiate it.

smufguy
04-02-2003, 09:04 AM
the code 6 is the one with the white clip hooked up to ur thermostat. make sure its plugged in and also the green clip. that white clip is ur temp sending unit (ECT) and the green is a fan switch basically. I guess the white was just unhooked.

i am glad ur getting a buttload of knowledge hondaboi. :D i am glad ur getting to know stuff dude.

2Fast_Fiero
04-03-2003, 07:15 AM
Honda's suck man! I love my DSM. lol Last night I had some weird car troubles, for like 3 hours the car DID NOT want to start, after wards after I towed the car to pep boys, I went to roll the windows up and turn off the emergency lights and lock the doors cause I was gonna leave the car at pep boys cause it would not start, the friggin car starts. Nobody knows what the problem is. But my MASTER ASE Mechanic is going to take my FlowMaster Exhaust money and put a new Dist. on it, fix any problems that he finds with the car, and he's going to install a brand new OEM Exhaust thats made for the Honda. Now I'm broke for 2 weeks until I get paid. But once I get paid, I'm throwin tons into the Honda and DSM.

2Fast_Fiero
04-03-2003, 07:21 AM
@ Nopionline.com = 925+1653 ACCEL Performance Fuel Injector, ALL 2.0L (A20A1) Engines. (Flow Rate 255cc/Min.) $70.28 - Ea.

LOL!