PDA

View Full Version : ***WTF is up with the backfirering!!***

89AccordLXI666
03-31-2003, 05:57 AM
Ok I have a 1986 Honda Accord LX 5 speed carburated..... Ok here's the situation.... I had to replace the cat which is the filter wired looking tube thing near the two front tires underneith the car right.... well I had to replace that, cut it had a big gash in it and the damn car smelled like exhaust and gas a little bit, but mostly exhaust.... well I cut the cat off and then I cut the one off of my 89 Accord LX-i since it;'s just my parts car now... so any who I cut the good cat off of my 89 and I used adapters and clamps to put on the other cat to my 86 accord... well It is alot quiter now and it's loud but theres still a little tiny buzzing sound to it, and I am annoyed by it to all means... but I also think one of the adapters is just a hair bigger and is causing a leak in the exhaust and that may be my problem..... another thing is, could I use my 89 Accord LX-i exhaust system and swap it over to my 86 accord or do they curve differently???? Also what if I desided to get rid of the cat and just use a regular pipe will that cause me to fail emissions... also I noticed some back fire when I am at high speeds and I sort of let my foot off the gas.. I also notice back firing when I switch gears sometimes... what is that telling me??? If anyone can give me info to my questions that would be great... Thanks guy's Lataz :bow:

A20A1
03-31-2003, 03:14 PM
sorry gonna move this to general tech.

shepherd79
03-31-2003, 04:59 PM
did you advance your timing?

1988starter
03-31-2003, 05:30 PM
Try getting the carb cleaner spray and a brush out. Clean that carb.

Mantis88LX
03-31-2003, 06:29 PM
you talking about the flex pipe?

buzzbomber88lx
03-31-2003, 07:40 PM
If it is just backfiring when he shifts then it's not a timing issue. I would say spray that carb with some carb cleaner. If you have an lx-i why don't you convert your lx to efi???

87accordlxph
04-01-2003, 02:40 PM
Must be air injection system valve not functioning properly.
Check that air suction valve, it could be the culprit.
I had the same prob.

-Mike