PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to replace signal arm???

joker2
03-31-2003, 06:46 AM
Well, that switch finally went out on me...... I knew it was almost time because sometimes when I would click the headlights on they would come up but no light....... Then I would have to play with the switch just to make the lights come on....... So I was wondering how hard is it to replace that part myself??? I thought this would be in the How-To because this seems to be a very common part that goes out on our cars........:confused:

DBMaster
03-31-2003, 07:03 AM
The turn signal "arm," and wiper arm are part of an all-in-one assembly called the "combination switch." I have managed to fix a broken part on my wiper control arm, but usually you have to replace the whole thing. It is a rather expensive part to buy new, but several members here have gotten them out of salvage yards.

It is definitely worth messing with to try to fix it, but don't be surprised if you can't.

joker2
03-31-2003, 07:09 AM
Yeah, I had a feeling you would say I probably couldn't fix it........ So how tough is it to replace???

racinevrywhere
03-31-2003, 07:58 AM
replacining it is rather quite easy. you will have to take the steering wheel off (of course). then the cover over the switch and the bottom part of the dash. then there are two screws holding the switch on(take those out) then follow the wiring down and there are two or three (i cant remember exactly) plugs to undo. then installation is in the reverse.

joker2
03-31-2003, 08:11 AM
OK, thanks.............:D

Mike's89AccordLX
03-31-2003, 08:16 AM
Yeah I did this like 4 months ago. What ever you do don't lose that ball bearing. I dropped mine on the cement and that was a bitch to try and find. When you take it apart pay close attention how everything goes together. Use a 19mm socket to get the steering wheel off. And make sure that you have your wheels faced forward so it makes it easier to get the wheel on straight.

joker2
04-04-2003, 05:51 AM
You guys were right!!! I went to the junkyard yesterday, picked up the part for almost nothing and followed your directions and now I have LIGHT!!! Yo Mike, I was looking for this so called ball bearing you were talking about and didn't see it but I guess that's a good thing because I wasn't trying to lose it either......... :D

toaster13
04-04-2003, 01:00 PM
i found this on Ebay, this might be what your looking for 86-89 GENUINE HONDA ACCORD TURN SIGNEL LEVER
Here's the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2409236619&category=6763

Senate SE-i
05-09-2003, 10:52 AM
The ball bearing in question is part of the turn signal arm if I remember correctly. If you did not see it, it may be gone already. Do your turn signals work okay?

joker2
05-09-2003, 10:56 AM
Yeah, everything works because I got the whole unit instead of just replacing the arm........ The thing is I got it from the savage yard and they have a lifetime warrenty on it so even if it does go bad all I have to do is take it back and they give me another one........:D

86AccordLxi
05-09-2003, 11:01 AM
Wow that's a great deal. I got one from the j/y at my house and it died the next day :( driving back to school. I thought my problem was a more serious electric failure so I took it to my mechanic who realized the "new" switch was faulty and he went and got on from Honda for....$195!!!!! But it works now....*sigh*

Alex

joker2
05-09-2003, 11:08 AM
:eek: $195, mine ended up costing me $50 with the warranty.......

Coitis1
06-26-2003, 07:51 AM
I've had this post saved forever b/c i have been having trouble getting my brights to come on. Well, i have to get my car licensed and registered agian next month, so i figured i'd go ahead and fix the problem. I went to a junkyard yesterday and picked up a new switch for $48(honda quoted me $195 also). I got the old switch out yesterday, but i had to go to work so i didn't get the new on in. My steering wheel along w/ pieces of my steering column and dash are sitting in pieces all over my car. The plugs ended up being a bitch to get out, but i finally got them. Anyways, i've got today and tomorrow off from work, so i'm gonna go ahead and finish installing the new part this morning. Oh yeah, i haven't come across any ball bearings either. :)

Coitis1
06-26-2003, 12:43 PM
i finished installation about an hour after my last post, but i've been having problems logging onto AOL so i haven't been able to post. It was kinda hard to get the bottom black cover back onto the column,but i got it to fit eventually. Getting the steering wheel on perfectly straight was a bitch too, i would have to adjust it, then drive around the block. I did that 3 or 4 times before quiting. I got it as straight as i could, but i think it's still a little of, and I know that will bug the hell outta me. Anyways, in the end i had two screws left over from somewhere(i'm pretty sure they go to the black parts around the steering column), but now i have bright lights agian so i'm happy.

Coitis1
06-26-2003, 12:45 PM
BTW, i've never done anything like this before, so if i make it sound complicated, it's not. It's a really simple thing to replace, so if you are in need of a new combination switch, it is definately worth the little time and money it takes to replace it.

joker2
06-28-2003, 05:17 AM
Yeah, I never really got my sterring wheel perfectly straight either but that's cool because I'm taking the car in for a wheel alignment and I know they'll do it for me.......:D