PDA

View Full Version : 86 lxi tran question

SLCPUNK
03-31-2003, 05:23 PM
Picked up an auto lxi 1986 accord with 171k miles. Drives real nice but first gear seems to be drawn out. PO didn't change the fluid in a while he said. Or is there something else to look at in order to get it to shift earlier? I've seen cars slip with dirty fluid, but would it keep it from changing when it should? Thanks.

EDIT: Also, since I'm on the subject...when auto trannies get older and you put them into gear why do they tend to lung/jump when you engage? What causes them to do this? It doesnt' do it on this one, but I've seen it on all older autos. Thanks.

1988starter
03-31-2003, 05:26 PM
change the fluid a few times in one day using honda ATF or just drop into 2 that will not allow it to go into first. You can also check your trans cable free play.

SLCPUNK
03-31-2003, 05:37 PM
"You can also check your trans cable free play"

Where is that located? And how much free play is ok?

Why do you suggest changing the fluid more than once as opposed to just one change? Thanks.

1988starter
03-31-2003, 05:40 PM
Look in the faq section for an online shop manual to check free play also change it more than once because when you drain it only a little oil goes out. A lot stays in the tranny. So run your car get the oil nice and hot and drain it use honda ATF then do it at least one more time just drice for like 20 min between each time.

AZmike
03-31-2003, 05:46 PM
A lot of the tranny fluid stays in the torque converter even after draining. Each time you 'change' the fluid you are diluting the dirty fluid that stays in the torque converter with clean fluid.

SLCPUNK
03-31-2003, 06:12 PM
That makes sense. Do you think the fluid will help this ? No drain plug for the torque converter huh? Thanks. I'm just going to sell it, and I'd like it to drive out a little nicer.

Thanks for your help.