PDA

View Full Version : New Engine Mounts, car still shakes !

vtec11
05-30-2002, 05:21 PM
In the past year, i've changed the front, rear, and side engine mounts with all genuine honda mounts. the car still shakes and i can see the engine flexing when shifting through P,R,N,D...

Even when i drive, i can feel the engine flexing when it shifts gears.

I tightened all the mounts down and its better, but it still sux ass. The only one i didn't change is the torque strut rod thingy on the firewall, but does this make that big a difference?

Please help :-(

guaynabo89
05-30-2002, 06:51 PM
What exactly do you mean by still shaking?

Are you talking about feeling vibration in the car, or the engine itself shaking?

vtec11
05-30-2002, 07:56 PM
both.

car still shakes at idle when in DRIVE.

and when in PARK, the engine still shakes. mostly front to back.

not to mention the engine flex when it changes gears while driving. grrrrrrrrrrrr !!!! :rant:

A20A3Power
05-30-2002, 08:51 PM
sounds like the torque converter is going...my moms car and my friends car were autos, and both had bad converters..when u came to a stop in drive...the whole car would shake like a bitch....so i think you should take it to aamco or something and get that tranny checked out...

ACCORD EX
05-30-2002, 11:40 PM
isn't a FWD engine supposed to go back and forward ! and that's why there is a torque rod !

any way check you torque rod for play it should go up and down but not to left and right ! if you don't know what i am talking about it's a rod that holds the engine to the firewall near the air box , passenger's side ! :D

good luck !

MIKE

MoonScryer
05-31-2002, 05:55 AM
Did you check the arm piece that goes from the firewalll to beside the intake manifold? THat broke, engine will rock back and forth quite a bit...

ACCORD EX
05-31-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by MoonScryer1
Did you check the arm piece that goes from the firewalll to beside the intake manifold? THat broke, engine will rock back and forth quite a bit...

that was exactly what i was talkin about ! ;)

MIKE

vtec11
05-31-2002, 08:49 PM
okay, here's the thing.

i pulled off the bolts on the mounts and tightened them in the order which is pointed out in the chilton's book.

it dosn't shake much at idle now. but it still shifts weird and the engine flexes a bit much during shifting.

i took a close look at that torque strut mount on the firewall. it is moving side to side. AccordEX, were you referring to the engine moving side to side, or the actual mount ?? because my strut rod IS moving side to side about quater to half inch.

Can anyone else check there rod (on the car), if it does the same thing.

thanks ...

88LXi/87CRXSi
06-01-2002, 03:27 AM
I just replaced my torque strut insulators about three weeks ago! My engine was also twisting backwards, the others mounts were good. I could feel a funny vibratiom under WOT, which wasn't good! Caused my axle shaft seals to start leaking! I replaced both, dealer parts only btw, my smaller (firewall) one still fit snuggly in the torque rod (stillgood?), but the holes in the bracket started to elongate. The larger one (engine) was loose in the rod. The insulator gets compressed (smaller), which allows the engine to torque backwards. when u replace them, go thru the motor mount retightening procedure since new insulators will put your engine into a different aligement than before! Hope this post helps, the other guys are right repace them! :)

rocky2
06-01-2002, 07:20 AM
Pull the 3-g up onto a large tree and leave in drive. You may want to insulate where bumper meets tree.pop hood. Now rev up engine gunning it slowly....look at engine /trans...is is moving? If it is. Shut down engine and try to simulate movement with a large pry bar and find worn parts.