PDA

View Full Version : whell hub replacement

toaster13
04-01-2003, 11:02 AM
my 88 honda LX-I is shaking at certain speeds, i had it looked at and was told that the wheel hub is bent, and when you spin the tire you can visibly see that it is uneven. Is that a hard thing to replace, cause they wanted like $1000 to do it, so i said screw that. I have access to parts from other cars, but don't know to do it or if it's even doable by me. any help would be appreciated. thanks

dXsquared
04-01-2003, 11:34 AM
it took me 30 minutes to get it off a parts car an like another 25 to put it back on with all new nuts and bolts

Travis

AccordEpicenter
04-01-2003, 12:02 PM
well I had the same problem with wheel wobble and it was just a front disc brake screw backing itself out and pushing on the wheel making it sit on the hub funny. If sombody is telling you that id look and see if it could be the rim also, its kinda unusual just to bend the hub and nothing else, usually other things bend before it does.

toaster13
04-01-2003, 07:30 PM
I jacked up the front of the car and took off the tire, and the rotor spins uneven so i took it off, and the hub spins uneven. i just had the rotors replaced a few months ago and it was doing this before then. I'm guessing i just need a new hub, i also had both the front struts and springs replaced last summer, so it might have been damaged before all that.

toaster13
04-26-2003, 02:51 PM
can anyone give me some step by step instructions in taking apart the hub an dreplacing it, i would really appreciate it.

I tried to search for some but couldn't fina anything

dj99
04-26-2003, 03:05 PM
Front or rear? I just got the front left replaced after I noticed that the wheel wobbled while replacing other stuff. When the car is up on a jack if you can grab and wobble the tire or just the rotor, the bearing is bad. I guess the rear would be similar, just remember to let the e-brake off before the wobble test.

ACCORD EX
04-27-2003, 12:32 AM
FRONT >

1. remove wheel
2. loose the 32 mm spindle ( hub nut ) a bitch to loosen .
3. loosen the lower ball joint
4. remove the cotter pin from the tie rod end castle nut .
5. loosen the castlee nut
6. remove the cover of the upper balljoint's bolt ( 2 X 10 mm bolts )
7.remove the cotter pin from the ball joint castle nut
8. loosen the upper balljoint caslte nut !
9. loosen the brake caliper mounting bolts ( don't disconnect the lines ) it 's a bitch to get these bolt out ( i think there are 2 of them don't actually remember !
10 . remove brake caliper assembly off the hub and hang it using a wire over the spring ( don't let it hang by the brake line )
11. remove 32mm spindle nut .
12 using a balljoint separator seprate the lower balljoint from the arm ( if a balljoint separator is not available , i use a big hammer to hit at teh side ( don't damage teh boot ) while the nut is loosened but still on ! )
13 reomve the tie rod ends from the hub ( similary to the lower balljoint !
14, remove the upper ball joint bolt !
15 . remove the knubkle assembly !
16 now you will have to remove the brake discs and place them on the new hub and put all of that back again !
install everything back in !

i hope i didn't forget anything !
BTW teh service manual is available for download in the FAQs ! it's big but sure WORTH IT !

good luck !

MIKE

toaster13
04-27-2003, 06:51 PM
oh by the way- it's the front left wheel...
thanks for the help, it'll probably be a few weeks till i can get to the junkyard to take one off another car, i'll let you know how it goes

SiR
04-27-2003, 08:30 PM
You might as well get brand-new bearings pressed in instead of junkyard ones. Many have too many miles, and at least in my experience, the hubs are nasty, grinds, and has too much play. And sitting there dosent help either.

dj99
04-28-2003, 06:06 AM
I got the new bearing at a local parts store for $60 and got it pressed in for an additional $10.

toaster13
04-28-2003, 10:31 AM
The annoying part is that i just got a new beearing last summer, and that wasn't the problem, is that bearing going to be too worn by the wobble to be able to be used again?

Rngray5
04-28-2003, 10:58 AM
Yo adam, are we going to do this when you come home? ( are you coming home for a few weeks?) I may need your help ( you can earn a few exra bucks) to drop another engine in the grand am. I told you it would be easier to do it yourself then what that mechanic was telling you:stick: