PDA

View Full Version : does your A/C do this?

Accordtheory
05-30-2002, 06:06 PM
My A/C temperature varies somewhat depending on the speed of my car/ engine. I find this rather annoying, since at my typical cruising speed, 80 mph, (~3250 rpm), my A/C is no longer cold, just cool. When I take the car out of gear to take an offramp, etc, the A/C begins to get cold again, and stays that way as long as the engine is at or under 3000 rpm. Interestingly enough, if I decide to cruise at a higher speed, like 90 mph, the A/C gets cold again, although this really hurts my mpg...WTF?? My theory is that the A/C compressor is not as efficient at higher rpm, and I think that an underdrive pulley would solve this, as well as slightly improving my mpg/power with the A/C on. Have any of you guys experienced this or tried underdrive pulleys with the A/C?

dj99
05-30-2002, 06:36 PM
I think mine may be similar. Have you checked your AC sight glass lately (Driver's side front corner of engine compartment)? Although my AC works OK, it the many bubbles indicate that I need a recharge of R12. Maybe the system needs to be "full" to work right.

The dilemma is that I don't want to fix it if it ain't broke, and the longer I wait, the more it's going to cost for the R12.

Does anybody on the board know how much it costs to get a charge? Used to be dirt cheap when you could get R12 at Wal-Mart. :confused:

smufguy
05-30-2002, 07:32 PM
there was a speculation on the board that they stopped manufactuing R12s and lot of ppl found it hard to find a recharging kit cause not a lot of companies make em. the glass window on your freeon (freyon) dryer <<the small aluminum canister under your pwr steering unit>> tells u what kinda condition your freeon (freyon) is in. Honda's tend to have a pretty award winning crappy AC system so, i guess once you get a leak or something goes bad like our compressors tend to freeze up and the drive belt snappin, ur pretty much left to spend around 500 bucks to get the whole system work as it did when it rolled out of the manufacturing plant.