PDA

View Full Version : Worth Replacing P/S Boots

DBMaster
04-02-2003, 01:06 PM
This question relates to an earlier thread. It would cost me $100 plus parts to get the boots replaced on the ends of my steering rack. I do have a slow leak in the end seals as evidenced by my going through a small bottle of P/S fluid every six months or so. It might even be the P/S fluid that deteriorated the boots to the point of tearing.

For those that have replaced the steering rack, how hard was it?

I have pretty much convinced myself that I should just leave mine as is until the leaks get worse. I wonder how long it will take the tie rod end to rack joints to go bad with no boots on them...

Jareds 89 LX-i
04-02-2003, 10:45 PM
Well if you do decide to replace the rack, there's one one ebay (rebuilt) for not all too much....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2409821002&category=33589

:)

AZmike
04-02-2003, 11:21 PM
I did mine last summer. It was quite a bit of work, but nothing was very difficult (it was my first big job so I probably remember it being harder than it was). Depending on your skill it will probably take between a half or full day working with jackstands. The best deal I could find was $130 with a $25 core for a Crown remanned rack (lifetime warranty).

I wouldn't bother with the boots since the seals are already failing. Your leak will probably get bad enough to require a new rack before those joints get bad enough to matter. With the cost of replacement exhaust seals and nuts, PSF and the rack it will probably beabout $200 total after getting your core fee back. I decided it was worth it.

Do you have any specific questions about the swap?

DBMaster
04-03-2003, 09:18 AM
Nah, I am pretty advanced. I was just trying to justify holding off on doing it until the leak gets worse. They have been ripped for a good while as evidenced by the amount of oily crap with dirt stuck to it all around the area where the boots stick out. I am guessing that the joints are still OK because when the wheels are pointed straight ahead nearly the entire boot is in a protected area. It is only exposed when you crank the wheels all the way one way or the other - as I was doing to get the mud flaps off.

I'll just have to check periodically. That eBay price for the reman rack is pretty good, but I think I would rather buy one locally from a source I trust and pay a bit more.

I might just treat myself and spend some bucks on the car at Automotion (my only trusted Honda shop) and let them change the oil pan gasket and rack at the same time. They will even let me bring my own parts if I want.

Thanks for all the advice!

Sabz5150
04-03-2003, 11:11 AM
Replacing my steering gear boots cost me an hour and 10 dollars. You'll have to remove your tie rod ends, so either be REAL good at putting them back on correctly or get an alignment afterwards. The only good tip I can offer is to remove the shield from the steering rack (you'll see it) so you can easily get to the back of the driver's boot for attaching it.

meohmy01
04-03-2003, 11:45 AM
in my 94 i go through a bottle a week. think that's bad? i don't think it has a;ways had honda power steering fluid.

DBMaster
04-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Sabz, where did you get the boots for only $10? I read a procedure for getting the tie rod ends reattached without having to go for an alignment, but even if I need one afterward it's not that big of a deal to me.

Thanks!

DBMaster
04-11-2003, 03:47 PM
I got the boots and replaced them today. Oh, how I wish I had a lift!!. It is a filthy job. Anyways, it seems like the rack seal on one side is probably leaking a little. I did some reading and am trying some stop leak that is supposed to work with Honda P/S fluid. About all I want to do is slow it down.

Before pulling the tie rod ends I measured the distance between the part of the tie rod that retains the boot and the lock nut. When I put it all back together I made sure the distance was the same. Hopefully, that will retain my alignment because I probably won't be able to tell in driving the car. Just in tire wear!

And, yes, Sabz I do get what you mean about the shield. I had to pull it once before to replace the high pressure hose. All in all, this was not a very difficult job. Thanks for the tips.

Grant2k
04-11-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by meohmy01
in my 94 i go through a bottle a week. think that's bad?
yes. power steering fluid is VERY flammable. my girlfriend was going through a bottle pretty often and even leaving puddles. we changed the high pressure hose and that was a friggin job. dirty and greasy as hell, and it's not easy to route it through all the heater hoses but with time you can do it. it was cute, she helped me and even got real dirty.

DBMaster
04-11-2003, 06:06 PM
Well, no matter how well I thought I did in getting the tie rod ends back the way they were I can tell it is not in alignment any more. Off to NTB I go!