PDA

View Full Version : small fan?

87accordlxi
04-02-2003, 03:36 PM
hey guys, the smaller fan to the right of the large cooling fan is for the a/c, right? Mine was making all sorts of ugly noises so i yanked it out. and my a/c doesnt work, so it doesnt cause a problem there.

the regular cooling fan still clicks on and works fine. i was just wondering if i'm gonna need to go out and find an a/c fan before going on a 1400 mile round trip drive.

POS carb
04-02-2003, 05:10 PM
if your car doesn't overheat when you idle then no problems.

Grant2k
04-02-2003, 07:44 PM
my a/c doesn't work either. could i wire the 2 fans together so that they both come on for cooling? or maybe put a switch on the a/c fan?

AccordEpicenter
04-02-2003, 11:04 PM
that would be a bad idea, both fans are separatley relayed and i think seperatley fused also. I doubt if you didnt have the fan the ac wouldnt work

Grant2k
04-02-2003, 11:15 PM
my a/c doesn't work anyway. i mean could i wire the power wire for the small fan into the bigger one so that when the regular cooling fan turned on the small one turned on too? so that i had 2 cooling fans. as i think about it this would probably be a bad idea because that means if the fans turn on when the car is off that's 2 fans running off the battery. i think a switch inside the car may be best.

Jareds 89 LX-i
04-02-2003, 11:27 PM
Don't both fans already come on? Last time I looked at mine (a/c off, just kicked on for cooling), both were running. Only time I've seen only one running was the small one after you shut the car off. Maybe that's just mine though.

I wouldn't wire them together cuz you'd probably either burn up the relay or keep blowing the fuse. Those fans take up a good chunk of juice! If it's working fine the way it is, just leave it.

Joe... if the large fan is still kicking on and keeping it cool, then I wouldn't worry about it. Still make sure by letting it idle for awile and make sure it doesn't overheat (with our cars it takes quite awile for them to heat up!), but it shouldn't. I drove mine around for over 2 years with only the small fan working, and that was when it felt like it, LOL.

:)

anchovies
04-02-2003, 11:27 PM
I don't know about other models, but on mine both fans help cool the engine. The ac fan (also) turns on when the coolant gets hotter than it should. Can't remember, but radiator fan turns on around 90degrees and the ac fan turn on around 110 (or something around those figures).

Jareds 89 LX-i
04-02-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by anchovies
I don't know about other models, but on mine both fans help cool the engine. The ac fan (also) turns on when the coolant gets hotter than it should. Can't remember, but radiator fan turns on around 90degrees and the ac fan turn on around 110 (or something around those figures).
Uhh...should be closer to 190 degrees or around there. 90 degrees is like the air temp outside on a summer day, lol. :)

anchovies
04-02-2003, 11:45 PM
we use celcius :D

Grant2k
04-03-2003, 07:25 AM
we use celcius :D

damn, and i always thought Florida was in America.

Blue Impact
04-03-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Grant2k

So what? Now the US has 49 states since FLorida broke off and became its own country?

smufguy
04-03-2003, 09:17 AM
jared is right. All carb cars have the two fans in parallel. The radiator fan spins, then so does the AC fan spin. They both come on at the same time. Its the Efi cars that have a sub cooling relay in the fuse box and an extra fuse for the AC fan to come and go on cause the radiator fan goes on for almost 15 mts after the car is shut down. This is done thru the Fan control relay under the passenger front seat on the efi models (all 4yrs).

So jared is right, all carbs have both the fans go on at the same time. efi cars dont cause of the fan controller.

anchovies
04-03-2003, 10:57 PM

Yeap...we're now using solely metric so that NASA can get things done easier and we now drive on the right lane :tongue:

Grant2k
04-03-2003, 11:03 PM
Yeap...we're now using solely metric so that NASA can get things done easier and we now drive on the right lane :tongue:
you mean the left lane? hehehe

anchovies
04-04-2003, 01:29 PM
you mean the left lane? hehehe

bah@!!

accordlxi2.0
06-18-2003, 09:14 PM
my g/f dx must have one then cause when i drive her's i hear the fan's then under the seat i hear a ticking sound.
is there any way to make them run cooler?