PDA

View Full Version : Do 89 Accords have govenors?

My 89 Accord Lxi
05-30-2002, 09:42 PM
:stick: does anoyone know if the 89 lxi's have govenors cuz they other day i was testing it out cuz i just got it about 2 weeks ago for only 900$ im a lucky bastard but anyway is there a govenor cuz i got upto 90 mph and my tach was @3000 rpms :wtf: whats going on can someone help thanx

Hoshizakido
05-30-2002, 11:09 PM
no governer on my car

ACCORD EX
05-30-2002, 11:25 PM
sorry but what is a governor ! ? :rolleyes:

MIKE

flyngtomato
05-30-2002, 11:29 PM
never had one on my car lol gets to 230km/hr and then runs out of revs :mad: i just need more touque but no havent got a govener

shepherd79
05-31-2002, 04:14 AM
there are not limiters on american production cars. i am not sure about cars imported from japan, they may have.
but i think you may be needed a little tune up.
plus if you have auto 3000rpm at 90 is normal.

POS carb
05-31-2002, 07:15 AM
not if you can't go faster! My LX does triple-digits so yours should have no problem passing 100!

NewAKI
05-31-2002, 09:54 AM
i kno my boy has a corolla (lol) and his govenor kicks in round 105

and on my old lx-i 115 then i had to slow down cuz i saw traffic ahead (lol)

My 89 Accord Lxi
05-31-2002, 08:59 PM
I think i was shifting wrong when i was in 1st i shifted at about 4500 rpms then later i tried at 5 and i got a little past 95 but i had to slow down sharp turn but i think i need a tune up cuz my engine gets really really hot sometimes :burn: and my car shakes when i hit the brakes at high speed and i have a 5pd so i should be faster so i definately need a tune up thanx alot guys

Inabj2
05-31-2002, 09:05 PM
fastest ive gone in my lxi is 120 mph. Fricking traffic gets in my way and it takes a bit to get to 120 mph :mad: :rant:

230 km!?!??! 140 plus mph?!!??!?! What road and how? your car must not be fully stock.

I guess i could reach 125 mph.. I really dont wanna venture that far out. I want to go to race school before i go any further.

volvohonda83
06-02-2002, 10:37 PM
Damn, in my LX I get about 4K-4.5K RPM's when I'm around 90. Even at 80 I'm around 3250, that's some shit. Guess that extra 20 some HP really makes a diff. Ah well, I still get 28MPG on my 89 LX auto :)

dosh8er
06-02-2002, 11:49 PM
First off, a governer (sp?) is (basically) a way of limiting the maximum speed a vehicle can achieve.

I'm pretty sure there is some production vehicles out on the road today with governors on them. A guy at work swears up and down his mother's name that his truck has a governor (it's a 98).

89accordlxi
06-03-2002, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by shepherd79
there are not limiters on american production cars. i am not sure about cars imported from japan, they may have.
but i think you may be needed a little tune up.

What would be included in a tune up that would increase top speed. New plugs, wires, distributer cap, fuel filter????? I had written a post earlier where I mentioned I couldn't get my lxi above 105 mph. What types of things should I include in my tune up to get better top speed???

Later.

87AccordsterLx
06-03-2002, 01:30 PM
if there is a speed governer in our cars it must be set pretty high because yesterday with a full car load I did 110... On the I-10 heading east from So.Cal I did 130 by my self... It's not something you would want to do for more then a few minnutes but it is possible... I think that as soon as I tune up my carb. I will be able to hit 135... just remember the basics... the easier the air can flow in and out the engine the easier it is to make HP...

POS carb
06-03-2002, 03:03 PM
I find that hard to believe unless you had a short geared tranny and I doubt that even more seing as you have a stock induction. Must be speedometer error

89accordmeister
06-03-2002, 03:24 PM
I have a pretty much stock 89 accord dx 2 door 5 spd
my friends father i a sheriff and gunned me going 127......flat interstate at 3am........so i can be done.......i did a tune up and used bosch platinum plugs....they are amazing compared to autolite and ac delco....they are shit

87AccordsterLx
06-03-2002, 09:29 PM
damn if my speedometer is off that would really suck... and do you mean by stock induction that the air flow is restricted..??? Or are you talking about in comparison to forced induction... or turbo???? I do have my carb lid flipped w/ k&n... :D I know it doesnt make that much of a difference but I have noticed it easier to reach higher speeds... I'm going to try to get back out on the 10 and see if I can do it again.. I'll try to take pics if I dont kill myself in the process... :D By the way I have my springs set to arrive tomorrow (the forth) and the struts in about two weeks or so... maybe more... would you still be interested in helping me out if I get them in time??? Being that you still had the control arms and that you're still in town... (not sure if you do/are or not) If so that would be cool... School ends on the 14th and I'm moving on the 24th.... let me know what you're plans are.... Thanks...

Inabj2
06-03-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by 89accordmeister
I have a pretty much stock 89 accord dx 2 door 5 spd
my friends father i a sheriff and gunned me going 127......flat interstate at 3am........so i can be done.......i did a tune up and used bosch platinum plugs....they are amazing compared to autolite and ac delco....they are shit

What tha??? :wtf: Shouldnt he be giving you outstanding speeding ticketS?? damn man I wish all our police people in MD/VA/DC area were like that...

Instead of ticket. "Sir your topspeed was 155 mph. Maybe if you put slightly more boost youll break the 160 mark. Have a nice day :-)"

but no.. that is not so.. reality sucks :crying:

pimping89lxi
06-04-2002, 12:40 AM
:bandit:

I have no Govoner on My ride, that i know for a fact! Ive tried to hit and i havent!! I dont know what my max speed is for my car either. I have hit and passed the 130 mph mark 3 times. Yeah i know it was stupid, but damn is it fun. I also know that my Tach is not off cuz i have gone neck to neck with a friend, and over the phone we were going the same speed at about 95 mph.
To get up to top speed wasnt hard either. I didnt run top speed too long though, im not that stupid now.
As for any mods, nothing really. I got a A20A4 from Japan to replace the other one the stock A20A3 that came with my car. No air box restriction, its a short Ram intake. Upgraded spark Plugs and thats basicly it!
Yeah its fun, you should try it sometime!!!

:flip: