PDA

View Full Version : remote start??

lil 89 Lxi
04-03-2003, 06:17 AM
I was going to go and get a Viper Security system for my 89 Lx-i and was wondering if anyone knows if there is a remote start system for a 5 speed or not and what other security systems do u recomend Viper seems to be good in my mind ;) just looking at other options:super:

bobafett
04-03-2003, 10:35 AM
i have heard anything made by DEI is good (viper is made by them i think)

as for remote start, as long as your remote can handle additional funtions i think all you need is a remote start module that i think DEI makes... however be careful... 90% of shops wont install it on a 5-speed.. so you may have to do it yourself/

also, can you start your car WITHOUT the clutch in? if not then youre gonna have to come up with a way to bypass the clutch "switch" or whatever that is called.

BUT yes, it can be done, probably with your setup.

TJ89Accord
04-03-2003, 11:42 AM
yah, you can get a compustar, or a clifford. its easy to bypass the clutch switch.

tim

Grant2k
04-03-2003, 04:19 PM
our cars don't have clutch switches. at least mine doesn't. and like Chris said, most shops won't install it on a 5-speed so you'll probably have to do it yourself.

86hatchbackLXi
04-03-2003, 07:43 PM
some shops can remote start a 5spd but i think its illegal in most places. DEI makes most every popular alarm like viper and clifford. crimestopper has some nice models too

lil 89 Lxi
04-04-2003, 05:06 AM
It dosen't have the neutral start safty switch so that is not the problem y would it be illegal to have remote start on a 5 speed when they arn't going to get very far when i can install like a brake switch so that when the clutch is pushed in the car dies

Grant2k
04-04-2003, 06:09 AM
why would you want a switch that kills the car when the clutch is pushed in? the reason they won't put one on a 5spd is because if you leave your car in gear, which i always do, when you start it it will take off and then some people would blame that on the people who installed it. so it's not illegal, most shops just won't do it.

lil 89 Lxi
04-04-2003, 06:14 AM
no I always leave mine in Neutural and pull the parking brake so that isn;t a problem

bobafett
04-04-2003, 12:07 PM
yeah it was funny a year ago i took my car to a shop to get some stereo stuff installed, and when i went out to my car and started it up, it lurched fwd and died.. they left it in 1st, which i NEVER do. and even though i REALLY REALLY REALLY want remote start, i dont think i will do it, cause it only takes once to forget, and then youre screwed! :)

yeah all the shops i have asked just wont do it cause its such a huge liability they dont want to get sued.

btw i didnt think our cars had the clutch switch, but goldyaccord freaked out when i started my car from reaching in teh window without the clutch, cause he always had to have the clutch in... so who knows!

TJ89Accord
04-04-2003, 01:27 PM
They make some that are more safe for a standard. They hook it up to the parking brake, and the door triggers. When you know you are gonna remote start it, you pull up the e-brake, then turn the ignition off and take the key out. The car will continue to run, until you open the door, and then close it. Then the car turns off. Then if for any reason any door is opened, the car wont remote start.

tim

Grant2k
04-06-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by TJ89Accord
They make some that are more safe for a standard. They hook it up to the parking brake, and the door triggers. When you know you are gonna remote start it, you pull up the e-brake, then turn the ignition off and take the key out. The car will continue to run, until you open the door, and then close it. Then the car turns off. Then if for any reason any door is opened, the car wont remote start.

tim
but how does that work for starting the car?

T's87lx
04-06-2003, 10:19 PM
[url]www.ultrastarters.com they are the first ones to make the remote start, it works on 5speed i have it on mine its awesome, cost a little much 400 for my setup but well worth it, go to the website check it out awesome alarm i have the 4500m top of the line i think this years model

smufguy
04-09-2003, 01:51 PM
grant its weird that some 3gs with 5spd do have the option of the so called" clutch switch. My lx came with that and i cant start it, it will click but wont start unless i press on my clutch. So not good. I still have the switch on the pedals. The wiring harness i pulled for my efi conversion was from a 5spd lxi and it did not have it. Its weird how some cars do and some cars dont.

TJ89Accord
04-09-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Grant2k
but how does that work for starting the car?

Thats how it knows that it is in neutral. Because you can't get out of the car with it running, unless it is in neutral. But if you open one of the doors, then it wont start.

tim

Grant2k
04-09-2003, 03:30 PM
so the car won't turn off unless it's in neutral either then? to really make sure you leave it that way. i get it.

Rosen99
04-14-2003, 08:25 AM
personally..i never saw the "thing" about having a remote-start...yes it is a head turner when ur walking to ur car and it starts up b4 u even get there...but thats only if there are some heads around to turn....+ it is illegal in almost 95% of the states so the only way ur gonna get it done is to either do it urself or get in good with someone at the shop...it is possible though...just never leave ur car in 1st or Reverse when u park it..good luck

dj99
04-14-2003, 08:46 AM
I know my clutch has some kind of switch on it, because I use it to turn off cruise control so I don't have to flash the brake lights. So maybe the switch is on there for cruise?

Grant2k
04-14-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Rosen99
personally..i never saw the "thing" about having a remote-start...yes it is a head turner when ur walking to ur car and it starts up b4 u even get there...but thats only if there are some heads around to turn....+ it is illegal in almost 95% of the states so the only way ur gonna get it done is to either do it urself or get in good with someone at the shop...it is possible though...just never leave ur car in 1st or Reverse when u park it..good luck
i've never heard of it being illegal. and most people i know who have it have it so that they can get into a warm car in the winter, not to turn heads. i don't know anybody who has ever bought one as an attention getter.

Rosen99
04-14-2003, 01:26 PM
where i grew up in Dale City VA...EVERYONE was into the big hook-up ur car craze.....there mustve been like 3 seperate race strips throughout the town going on every weekdn that cops could never control.....we used to take up whole sections of the HUGE parking lots @ Potomac Mills Mall for Shows and what-not....im not hating on anybody though..just relating frm my experience...

smufguy
04-14-2003, 01:30 PM
the switch is not there for cruise dj. some of the 3gs (not all of em) came with the clutch switch so someone who does not know about ur car, hops is and tries to start it while its still in gear. Like i stated before and like Grant, people dont have that in their cars, its really puzzling why honda would do such a thing. BUt all that switch does is prevent the car from being started while its still in gear. Like all newer manual cars function. My uncle's 3g (same exact burgundy and model as mine) did not have it and i once started it while it was in gear and the car just bounced. So to prevent that 'bounce' we have the clutch switch.

I have never heard of the remote starters being illegal either. Its just a remote start to start your car, so why would it be illegal? Its like saying ur alarm for the car is illegal. ;) or ur remote trunk opener is illegal. ;)