PDA

View Full Version : What's up with these damn pinholes in my new paint job?!

Chrome_thangs
04-03-2003, 09:48 AM
I just got my car painted and it looks fairly good, except for pin holes everywhere that they shaved something ie (antanae, trunk, old side marker holes) I know damn good and well it shouldn't be like this! What did these people do wrong on my car?

Blue Impact
04-03-2003, 10:30 AM
Take it back and have thej redo it. They did promise you "customer satisfaction," did they?

Mike89Accordcom
04-03-2003, 10:45 AM
ya that is messed up. I'd be pissed. The guy who painted mine didn't fuck up, but theres always that thought right before you get it back. I'd take it back for sure man!

dXsquared
04-03-2003, 10:53 AM
i would think that its grease or someother dirt... thats what happens.. paint repells from any dirt. the dirt leaves empty non painted spots

Travis

DBMaster
04-03-2003, 11:04 AM
Travis is right. It is a sure sign of inadequate surface prep.

pearldrop
04-03-2003, 11:45 AM
That is very common if you use a lot of tire dressing. Silicone is nearly impossible to get off and even with more than adequate surface prep, you will never know if you did enough to get it all off. The best thing you can do is to never use any tire dressing or armor all if you ever plan to paint your car. A spot of dust will do the same thing too.
If the pinholes are in the plastic filler they used then it is because they didn't use a glaze over the plastic and was just shoddy work.
Either way, they should have to fix it.
If it is just in the clear coat they can put a drop of clear in each hole and wet-sand it smooth then it will just buff out. We had two spots on the Prelude that they did that to and it turned out perfect.

Y3G
04-03-2003, 05:11 PM
thank god yo didn't have what i had when i got my car painted.it took almost a month to get my car out because the first yellow paint job they did never dried and they had to peel the first coat of yellow paint off with putty knives. the second time they did it it came out fine

danronian
04-03-2003, 08:11 PM
Yeah I would say what pearldrop said is correct, sometimes it is really hard to see those pinholes in the filler but it makes or breaks the job for sure.

DBMaster
04-03-2003, 08:53 PM
I know what you mean. I have those same kind of holes in the paint I used on my side moldings. I sanded and chemically prepped them, but because of the silicone and "Back to Black" I tried before...

Well, at least they still look better than faded and chalky.

rare_89lxi_coupe
04-03-2003, 11:13 PM
Exactly pearldrop. <<my ex has a mustang GT that has an amazing paint job- definitely show room quality, but-when the guys cleaned the car, all the cleaners were silicone based and the paint did not bond properly, now, every time he washes the car, a tiny new hole starts. it is the biggest pain. i'd definitely take your car back>>

sweet_n_fast_customs
04-04-2003, 10:06 AM
i own a body and custom paint shop it is fromthe body work they didnt do it right and yes all the cleaners u use on ur cars will fuck with ur new paint job because it will give u fish eyes in the paint thats how u can tell what it is. if it is pin holes it is in the body work and if it looks like a fishs eye then it is from all of the cleaners u used on ur car

HondaBoy
04-05-2003, 11:32 PM
dont let them screw u like that. dont just leave it. if they did a piss poor job take it back and make i right. i mean its ur car, u dont want a half ass paint job. especially when its ur hard earned money u spent. i would say take it back ASAP.