PDA

View Full Version : ferrari style shifter

ShawnS
04-03-2003, 05:38 PM
i hatched a plan today guys. i was inspired to build a gated shifter like in a ferrari for my 3gee. i can get custom metal fabrication done fairly cheap. i need some ideas on materials, design ideas, etc. i'm thinking of starting with a piece of steel and having it machined out into the 5speed pattern, smoothing the edges and having it chromed. sounds simple, but i doubt that it will actually turn out that way. any ideas?

88 Accord DX
04-03-2003, 05:40 PM
i dont get what your going for. post some pics.

ShawnS
04-03-2003, 05:53 PM
http://www.kitcar.com/CR/CRFerrari.html
under misc parts
and a better one
http://www.supercars.net/Pic?s=1&id=638&i=0&p=1991_ferrari_f40-3.jpg&y=1991&m=Ferrari&o=F40

88 Accord DX
04-03-2003, 05:56 PM
im not totally sure but i think you would have to change the shifter or prolly even the transmission itself to get this to work. way too much work.

ShawnS
04-03-2003, 06:00 PM
i just meant putting a pice of metal in the console that looks like that, instead of a shift boot. i was planning on keeping the stock shifter, and just creating gates around it, like in the pictures

88 Accord DX
04-03-2003, 06:04 PM
oh i get what your saying now. yeah just get a piece of metal and use a dremel tool to cut out what you want. should be pretty easy and it would look pretty cool too. if i had a manual i might make a stencil and mass sell them. but i dont so i wont.

Nothingbuta3Gthang
04-03-2003, 06:13 PM
I was gonna say why dont you just buy one off the website? But then I noticed the price tag...

ShawnS
04-03-2003, 06:21 PM
:werd:
i hope i can do it for less than that.

meohmy01
04-03-2003, 06:42 PM
dude. you ready my mind. me and my friend were just talking about this in gym a couple days ago. id love to see how it comes out. i think ill probably stick with the leather like shift boot but that's pretty cool too.

buzzbomber88lx
04-03-2003, 06:51 PM
I think they need to do a gated shifter for the new celica 6 speeds. Those things are a bitch to get used to! You miss a lot of gears if you are used to driving the 3g's 5spd. I think I would use aluminum and use a router to cut the pattern out. use a bandsaw to cut it to fit into the console and give it a mounting section in each corner. like a little lip down the sides so that a bolt or something can be put in there. cool idea!

meohmy01
04-03-2003, 06:55 PM
any car is hard to drive after driving my 3 gee. the clutch doesn't catch untill the pedal is almost all the way up. when i first drove it it took me like 10 minutes to figure out it was in gear.

ShawnS
04-03-2003, 07:21 PM
here's one in an mr2
http://www.ndh.net/home/bertakis/shifter.htm
sweet

meohmy01
04-03-2003, 07:27 PM
i like that. i think it would have looked better in brushed aluminum but it still looks hot. our shifters are kind of ugly though.

Vanilla Sky
04-03-2003, 10:00 PM
have that plate and an offset shifter! that would be rockin

HondaBoy
04-05-2003, 11:50 PM
i kinda liked those ferrari shifters. i remember the 308 GTS my dad brought home once. i remember it was something like a 6 speed. im not shur how it would work the the accord though. u would haveta work with the way it shifts. but if u could get it to work, that would be realy cool.

johndej
04-06-2003, 02:56 PM
what would really be good would be hooking up a padel shifter like the newer farraris have

Microstreak
04-07-2003, 04:49 AM
thats pretty cool, the shifter gate, i thought about that a few years ago, but then i took one look at my center console and bitche that it was an auto. as for the padel shifters....i feel like laughing, unless ur gonna put the padels ther for looks, there is literally no way your gonna get a f1 or smg type tranny in our 3geez. and if you do rip off the padels from some computer video game steering wheel (which i guess can be done) its going to look and seem completely retarded....if you like padel shifters go save up a lot of money and buy a z4 w/ the smg which i think bmw is now offering on that car

Chubs87Accord
04-08-2003, 03:28 AM
pedal shifters? anyone have pics and details? im curious

lostforawhile
08-26-2005, 02:11 PM
you could do the paddle shifter,but you would need a sequential shifter,that would be a bitch, you would need an airshift for it but it would work

mr eff
08-26-2005, 04:30 PM
the only problem i forsee is the shift rod vibrating against the gate. there's a lot of natural movement in the shift rod, that, unless you adressed somehow, would end up causing the set up to rattle.

furthermore, you'd want to find a better way to bolt it than just insetting it where the boot used to be. the ferarri's looks to be mounted to fiberglass; our centre console is plastic...

hope those considerations help you make this work

spanky
08-27-2005, 12:58 PM
i thought of this when once i downshifted from 5-6 when i was trying to shift into 4th and the rpms went way up this was in a mazda mitia that was a customers car that we were doing work on. (taking it for a test drive. :cool: ) and on a 6spd car the gears are alot closer than on 5spd cars.

snoopyloopy
08-28-2005, 10:42 AM
looks pretty good. i dare say it'd be much easier than what i originally thought you meant (the paddle shifter). although i know a guy who knows a guy who he said will build a transmission for whatever you want him to. so it might be possible to get a smg in a 3g given the correct amount of green.

BlueBead
08-28-2005, 11:12 PM
you would also want something like a springloaded plastic or metal plate under the shiftplate (around the shifter shaft) to seal up the openings when the shifter is not there
My jag's auto shifter has brush like stuff down the sides of the shifter groove (where the auto accord shifter has a plastic plate that covers from P to 3rd all the time)
If that is confusing, just think of how you would hide the opening with the exposed shifter shaft and base that the shift boot normally hides
cheers to this idea tho! I could see a market for a really well done CNC milled version
u could even start a business doing this for all sorts of cars.... you'd just need to test and protoype on a bunch of cars... anyone have a full range JY??