PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best rim/tyre size with stock suspension?

ChthonicPowers
05-31-2002, 12:13 AM
I wanna avoid the tyres rubbing against the car and i cant alter the suspension..so what tyre/rim size should i go for?

Keep in mind i dont want to alter the stock suspension etc :o

Jims 86LXI HB
05-31-2002, 12:29 AM
Here is the answer to your question as it was asked.

15" 195/50, 195/55 or 205/50
16" 205/40 or 205/45
17" 205/40

Just make sure the rims have a 40mm offset and you will not have problems with the sizes I've listed.

Mike89Accordcom
05-31-2002, 12:41 AM
Well said Jim, I was gonna say the same. I went with 205/40/16 when I first got my wheels on my accord.

rbeaud
05-31-2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
Here is the answer to your question as it was asked.

15" 195/50, 195/55 or 205/50
16" 205/40 or 205/45
17" 205/40

Just make sure the rims have a 40mm offset and you will not have problems with the sizes I've listed.

What width rim would that be for a 15"?

Thanks,

Roland

ChthonicPowers
05-31-2002, 11:30 AM
Whats an Off set?

Sorry i am new to this modding thing so i dont know much about it. I heard some people put some little spacer bar thingy b/w the wheels and the brakes so that the tyres dont run against the body..or summin like that.

Secondly, what r some disadvantages of bigger tyres/ off set?

Will I experience more road noise? How much will it alter the driving dynamics of the car in terms of smoothness? How will the off sets effect the suspension of the car? How will the bigger tyres affect the fuel economy, and ...yeah. anything else I should know b4 changing the rims/tyres? :confused:

accordlx
05-31-2002, 01:58 PM
Offset is how much the rims are offset from being totally centered over a specific point in relation to the wheel hub. The little spacer thingy you are talking about is a way to change the wheel offset.

The disadvantages of having bigger/tires wheels are only a few and they really depend on what tires and rims you use. Some larger tires (lower profile) make your car ride rougher because the height of your tire affects how much springiness you have in your car. An 85 series tire gives more than a 40 series tire just because it is taller. Low profile rims tend to bend more than a rim with a high profile tire. Larger wheels and tires are also heavier most of the time. Not all the time but most of the time. They do make light large rims but they are also mostly more expensive. Heavier rims will affect your acceleration. More rotational weight slows your car down.

The pros of larger wheels are the handling aspect. A wider tire means more surface area of the tire is touching the ground. This translates into better grip. A lower profile tire tends to flex less. This greatly enhances cornering.

Your car might accelerate a little slower and have a harsher ride with bigger tires/rims but the handling gains far exceed the negatives. :) :) :)

ChthonicPowers
06-01-2002, 02:51 AM
Thx Accord LX. Thats a very informative post indeed. I can say I know a lot more about tyre off set than I did b4 reading your post :)

B/w My '87 Accord is the same color as yours :super:

Jerren
06-01-2002, 01:32 PM
well i have 205/45/17. i rubbed but rolling the fender lip back took care of that.

ChthonicPowers
06-01-2002, 02:52 PM
I am leaning towards the 15 and 16 inches ones. I'll have to pick either the two. I decided not to go with 17's cuz the roads around here are not as pot-hole-free as in US, so 17's might make the ride too harsh. and this is my first time I am going to ticker with a stock car so I don wanna go to the extreme size, and play safe :p

One question i have is: Do you recommend I go with 15 or 16's, keeping in mind the road conditions here?

Plus will sharp cornering or bumps rub either of these two against the body? I know its been answered but i wanted to ask specifically :)

Jerren
06-01-2002, 03:03 PM
where are you from man. and who the hell told you that the US is "pot hole free"? i know at least here in st louis, it's like one giant fukking pot hole.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-01-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by ChthonicPowers
I am leaning towards the 15 and 16 inches ones. I'll have to pick either the two. I decided not to go with 17's cuz the roads around here are not as pot-hole-free as in US, so 17's might make the ride too harsh. and this is my first time I am going to ticker with a stock car so I don wanna go to the extreme size, and play safe :p

One question i have is: Do you recommend I go with 15 or 16's, keeping in mind the road conditions here?

Plus will sharp cornering or bumps rub either of these two against the body? I know its been answered but i wanted to ask specifically :)

Well from a appearance stand point 16's will look better, but since you have gone out of your way to bring up ride quality issue's, I'd say go ahead and get 15's. But I don't see any reason why you can't do 16's, but only you know how the road's are where your at.

And any of the sizes I have listed above will not rub, and that's no matter where the suspension is, fully compressed or fully extended.

ChthonicPowers
06-01-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Jerren
where are you from man. and who the hell told you that the US is "pot hole free"? i know at least here in st louis, it's like one giant fukking pot hole.

i am from Pakistan :)

3rdGenMartyr
06-06-2002, 09:48 PM
some people dont have the luxury of potholes and are forced to do with gravel and craters...lol:D

Afrosheen
06-10-2002, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Jerren

I totally agree with you there. I bought my car in Southern Illinois and had the pleasure of passing through St. Louis on the way home. Jesus. The highways there are ridiculously bad (or were 3 years ago, doubt they've changed much). I hit so many holes going 60 I thought my tires were gonna blow.

I asked my dad after I got home when St. Louis was gonna finish the highway because there was alot of construction. Know what he said? "It ain't Dallas son...it ain't Dallas." LOL :D

L Squared
06-11-2002, 01:05 PM
hehe what highways were y ou traveling in StL? And no the construction isn't finshed yet. I call it "creative driving" others call me nuts but i try to avoid the potholes. And constuction well the mojor projects at least....in theory will be done over the next 3 years. My dad dooes highway coonstruction so that's what he tells me at least.

-Lē