PDA

View Full Version : Rear Disk Brakes...

tmac
04-04-2003, 12:47 PM
Before anyone makes comments I have searched and read almost all the post on this topic.

I was wondering if the rear disk brakes off a '88 lude would fit onto my 88 Accord Ex-i

From just quickly looking they appear the same, but I am not sure.

PhydeauX
04-04-2003, 02:54 PM
You missed a few critical post then, as this has been gone over many times. The 88 lude disks wont fit. There are some subtile diferences that would require major modifications to make them work.

andy

markmdz89hatch
04-04-2003, 06:08 PM
I must commend you for searching though. You have no idea how much that means to so many people here.

....but yeah, like Andy said, that won't work. So far, the only donor we can use is a '89 3G SE-i. They're out there, but you really have to search.

Good luck!

tmac
04-04-2003, 07:17 PM
lol my dad has one parked in the driveway that he just bought. For some reason he is watching carefully to see if any parts all of a sudden go missing

OldSchoolSwap
04-07-2003, 07:04 AM
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11356

ACCORD EX
04-07-2003, 08:34 AM
thanx old school ! :D

MIKE

Morpheus
04-07-2003, 02:54 PM
How do you do extra mods for DX?

markmdz89hatch
04-07-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Morpheus
How do you do extra mods for DX?

what'dya mean? I don't really know what you mean by that? If it's in regards to the braking system, then maybe I can help shed some light. I've got a DX hatch, and I replaced the entire front knuckle assemblies on the front end, along with caliper brackets, and calipers. Along with that, the break master cylinder. All those parts came off an '88-89 LX-i. They have a bigger, better braking system then '86-87 LX-i's and all DX and LX's. That's a fairly easy mod that makes one hell of a difference. I actually did that along with Axis pads, Brembo c/d rotors, and techna-fit stainless steel brake lines. I stop too quick sometimes. Once those pads heat up they actually brake quicker. It's like apply brakes.... ...rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....... ugh.... neck snapped, everything in the back seat ends up in the front, and the passenger bounces his head off the dash.

OldSchoolSwap
04-08-2003, 04:42 AM
Here is a closer look at the rear disk conversion parts that you will need. The upper arm (#15) is not needed, you can use the existing one.

http://www.slhondaparts.com/images/PCI/13SG70/007/3.jpg

markmdz89hatch
04-08-2003, 04:52 AM
Thanks for posting that pic Juan. Yeah all that (except 15 like he said) and also don't forget the calipers, caliper brackets, e-brake cables, and proportioning valve. Then obviously the rotors and pads too.

Juan, do you need to use the rear trailing arm from an SE-i as well, or will SE-i knuckle assy. bolt right up to the existing one? That's the only part I'm not too sure of.

Justin86
04-08-2003, 09:52 AM
I know of a website that sold 12" disk brake conversions for are 3g's. I can't remember the website but the conversion kit was around $1,000 for front and rear brakes. I will try to get the site http:// when I can remember it.

Justin86
04-08-2003, 10:09 AM
Ok I checked the net and I couldn't find that site I saw I will keep looking, but I remembered that it was AEM that made the conversion if that will help.

guaynabo89
04-10-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by markmdz89hatch
Juan, do you need to use the rear trailing arm from an SE-i as well, or will SE-i knuckle assy. bolt right up to the existing one? That's the only part I'm not too sure of.

I'm not Juan but I'll answer your question.:lol

No you don't need the trailing arm. They are all the same. The sei knucle will bolt right up to the trailing arm yu have on yur car now.

When I converted to rear discs I used one of the trailing arms that came with my car cause one of the junkyard ones looked a little odd.

OldSchoolSwap
04-13-2003, 09:56 PM
That is affirmative :)

OldSchoolSwap
04-13-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Justin86
Ok I checked the net and I couldn't find that site I saw I will keep looking, but I remembered that it was AEM that made the conversion if that will help.
AEM does not make Big brake upgrades for our cars.
We have managed to make them fit in our cars with minor mods. I have the fronts so far and the rears will come soon! :)

Jareds 89 LX-i
04-13-2003, 10:08 PM
Just an FYI since we're on the subject.... if anyone needs just the rotors themselves (for whatever reason), the 3rd gen [88-91] Prelude had the exact same rear rotors as the SE-i did. I've confirmed this with matching part #'s. I forget if the calipers are the same or not...I don't think they are.

I'm currently working on a secret project to find alternative donors for our rear disc adventures. Gotta try some stuff next time I'm at the junkyard....

guaynabo89
04-14-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by OldSchoolSwap
and the rears will come soon! :)

Hopefully in two weeks or so.

OldSchoolSwap
04-14-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by guaynabo89
Hopefully in two weeks or so.

PFFFTTTT! i wish! :lol

guaynabo89
04-14-2003, 07:48 PM