PDA

View Full Version : power steering

89LXcoupe
04-04-2003, 07:50 PM
So a few weeks back my power steering starts cutting in and out, so I kept an eye on the fluid, but it seemed OK. Then the other day there was a big pool of fluid under my car, of course this comes at the busiest time of the year for me. So I finally got a look under it today. I took off the shield that cover where all the hydraulic lines go into the steering gear. When I started it up it began to drip from around the thread. Its hard to tell which one was leaking, all the connections were soaked in fluid. They were all a little rusted, but didn't seem like anything too bad. What needs to be replaced/repaired? It looked like the entire connector unit screwed out of the steering gear, should this be replaced or the hydraulic lines? Would just unscrewing each connection, cleaning it up, and putting some sealant on help? Thanks for any advice!

Mike

bradccool
04-04-2003, 08:14 PM
it's almost definatley that hydralic line.......mine leaked......and it went on the exuast manifold and smelled really bad and smoked........I made a trip to the junkyard and got another line......15$..........was a pain to take the other one out.........a big mess!......but no problems now........

AZmike
04-04-2003, 11:57 PM
It's most likely the high pressure line. It's the second biggest fitting (14 mm). No sealent is likely to work. PSF is nasty stuff that will slip right by it, especailly when it's at 1400 psi. I'd try cleaning it up, checking that all the fitting are tight, and keeping an eye on it. If it's still leaking a new high pressure line is only about $20 if you go to the right place I've heard.

AccordEpicenter
04-07-2003, 04:53 AM
yeah if you get a used one make sure it doesnt leak and its not rusty.

wallyyfm
04-08-2003, 06:37 PM
i let a a dude round here do it for 100 bucks, i was pissed after 2 days of freezing hands and fluid in my hair

AccordEpicenter
04-09-2003, 04:14 AM
then you got it done cheap, most mechanics hate that job, its a pain in the ass

smufguy
04-09-2003, 01:11 PM
Its not that bad but that old PS fluid smells worse than my ass. ewwwwww. anywho, i hate trying to pull out the pressure lines from the solid lines, damn they wont budge and with the engine and intake in the way, forget it :rant:

wallyyfm: whats up with your sig pic dude?