PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan Leaking

Gregs89AccordLxi
04-05-2003, 02:21 AM
My dads 88 accord lx is leaking from the oil pans gasket, anybody know how hard is it to remove the pan? any tips would be helpful too :confused:

A20A1
04-05-2003, 02:44 AM
You have to drop the exhaust down pipe... which is usually the toughest part cause it's all rusted... a breaker bar and lots of squirts with wd-40 sould help... let the wd-40 soak in for a while.

Also you may want to replace the old rusted nuts with stainless steel ones.
Change the stock size from a 14mm socket to 17mm socket.
I'm not sure what the internal diameter of the nut is in (mm)... I think it's either a 8mm nut or a 10mm nut.

ok back to the oil pan. with the down pipe dropped and out of the way drain the oil from the pan.

then remove the flywheel dust sheild from the trans.

then unbolt the oil pan.

buy some tacky gasket sealer so you can hold the new oil pan gasket in place while you bolt the pan back up to the block.

Gregs89AccordLxi
04-05-2003, 11:18 AM
Man thx alot for the info , my dad was gonna take it in to get it done but i think we can do it. We just did his water pump so im pretty sure we can do this.

AccordEpicenter
04-05-2003, 08:36 PM
wait before you do it, there are many things that make it look like the pan gasket is leaking. Just put the car on ramps or somthing and go look above the pan and see if you have any significant oil coming from anywhere else. I had a very very strange valve cover gasket leak that could not be seen from above the engine, it leaked out a corner of the gasket down the back side of the engine near the distributor, but i changed the o ring on the distributor and the oil pan and gasket and finally the valve cover gasket... I almost thought i needed a rear main seal too

Mike's89AccordLX
04-05-2003, 08:56 PM
AccordEpicenter is right I had to search for my oil leak and it ended up being a valve cover leak so I used gasket sealer on it and it doesn't leak now.

Gregs89AccordLxi
04-05-2003, 09:07 PM
hey thx for letting me know cuz my dad just did his valve cover and maybe he didnt seal it right, im gonna visit him sunday so i'll check it out, thanks

AccordEpicenter
04-05-2003, 10:20 PM
youre supposed to use hondabond or rtv on each corner near the cam. My vc gasket was like $7...