PDA

View Full Version : starting problems ?

ACCORD EX
04-05-2003, 09:33 AM
hello everybody !

i have problems starting my car and i think it happens when cold !
the car doesn't crank at all !
i turn the ignition switch - i hear the fuel pump - i proceed to turn it on all i hear is a click !
after several tries i manage to turn it on !

battery OK
charging OK
FUSES OK
Ground wire OK
Starter's ground wire OK !

could it be a starter problem ?? if there are any other opinions please share them !

thanx a lot guys !

MIKE

Coitis1
04-05-2003, 10:30 AM
maybe, check the alternator. i had one go out on me before.

brianc85
04-05-2003, 11:13 AM
Im having the exact same problem. I checked everything and I still cant fiqure it out. The only difference is that mine won't start at all. I went to the store drove home and now it wont start. All i hear is the click from inside. Can someone tell us whats going on? I live in minnesota so its real cold outside but i dont know if that would make a difference

ALTERED4
04-05-2003, 11:55 AM
it also sounds like the problem im having... im willing to bet its the starter

RCracer
04-05-2003, 01:02 PM
My B20a starter was like that when it was in the parts car.
When I stripped the starter to rebuild it the contacts in the solenoid were worn out. After I replaced the contacts and cleaned the starter end of problem.
Its never done it since its been in my aerodeck and the B20a has been in for over 4 months now.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-05-2003, 01:11 PM
Hey I live in MN too. I had this problem earlier this year and it was the starter. I only heard a click also. Luckliy I had a warrenty on it still. Where do you live in MN?

ACCORD EX
04-05-2003, 01:32 PM
damn ! so it's the starter ! :(
but it starts fine most of the time ! :(

any other ideas !

MIKE

Mike's89AccordLX
04-05-2003, 01:38 PM
Mine starts kinda iffy right now but I think I need new terminals. Mine started up fine sometimes too and then it just didn't work at all.

RCracer
04-05-2003, 01:46 PM
The B20a was like that. It would start maybe 4 times out of 5 then just plain fefuse to start. Then for no reason start working again.
If you take starter off and have a look at the big contacts inside the solonoid on top of the starter my guess is they will be worn away the same as mine were.
The new contacts and brushes for the starter cost me just over £10 gbp ($15 us)

Mike's89AccordLX
04-05-2003, 01:47 PM
I think a starter is about $60-$70 (US)

ACCORD EX
04-05-2003, 03:16 PM
thanx guys ! but any cheap ideas !

MIKE

Mike's89AccordLX
04-05-2003, 03:27 PM
You could get one from a junk yard for a cheaper price. I got mine from napa and it was about $70 i think. It's been awhile. But I had it installed in May of last year and early this fall it was bad again. So maybe napa ones suck.

brianc85
04-05-2003, 03:29 PM
I fiqured out what was wrong with mine.... The ground wire on the starter fell off. I just squeezed the clip with a wrench and pushed it back on and its all better. I guess I need to take a better look next time lol.
Mike's89AccordLX -
I currently live in Saint cloud cuz im going to Saint cloud state but the summers I live in Eden Prairie.

ACCORD EX
04-06-2003, 08:49 AM
well today i went down to turn it on ! and everything is ok !
i think the next time it gonno happen i am going to activate teh starter by how wiring ( by passing the ignition switch )
and see what happens !

MIKE

smufguy
04-06-2003, 09:38 AM
if u have probs of starting in hot temperatures is the Main relay (but since u said u hear the pump, its not it)

also it could be ur altenator (the car stumbles and starts, runs sluggish, and wont turn on after u shut if off)

it could be ur starter like mentioned above ( i jacked a denso fro mthe junkyard)

also, the 5spd and auto starters are different as u know mike ;)

IWLSF
04-06-2003, 10:22 AM
It's not the alternator, that is used for charging, not starting. The battery would be completely dead if the alternator wasnt working, and he said the battery was okay. If you keep on trying to crank it, does it eventually start up after like 5 tries? When my starter began going out, it would randomly click before it eventually turned over the motor. It did that for a few months until finally when I tried to jump someone else's car, then the starter fried and smoked everywhere. That was when I decided to replace it lol.

I got a replacement from O'Reilly's tho. 3 year warranty, and they took my core for a $20 refund. Overall, it was like $61.

ACCORD EX
04-06-2003, 03:49 PM
smufguy : i have a carbed so no main relay ! but anyway teh pump runs fine !

IWLSF : the car didn't crank at all ( engine doesn't spin ) !

anyway it's better now i hope it lasts this way ! :D

thanx guys !

MIKE

IWLSF
04-06-2003, 03:53 PM
Yeah, it's your starter man.

smufguy
04-06-2003, 07:10 PM
""" also it could be ur altenator (the car stumbles and starts, runs sluggish, and wont turn on after u shut if off)""""

that means after the car has been running, then its ur altenator :rolleyes:

Blue Impact
04-06-2003, 10:18 PM
I think I know what you're talking about. My car's really hard to start too. No one else in the family could except for me. My problem is the ignition switch though. I somewhat have to tilt my key in order to start it. Since your alternator and starter are good, you might wanna look into the ignition switch like mine.

IWLSF
04-06-2003, 10:43 PM
He never said his starter was good, just that the starter's ground wire was grounded. I'm telling you man lol, it's your starter. The alternator does not affect how the car starts up at all, it's is on the charging side of the system. You said the battery was okay, meaning it wasnt drained, meaning it's being charged, MEANING it's not the alternator. It's the staaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrttttttteeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrr. Heh.

ACCORD EX
04-07-2003, 08:21 AM
heheh :lol !

i know it's not the alternator ( 14.5 V output at engine idle )
so i think it's whether teh starter or switch ! but it works fine now ! don't know what was the problem !

thanx guys ! i reall appreciate it !

MIKE

smufguy
04-07-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by IWLSF
He never said his starter was good, just that the starter's ground wire was grounded. I'm telling you man lol, it's your starter. The alternator does not affect how the car starts up at all, it's is on the charging side of the system. You said the battery was okay, meaning it wasnt drained, meaning it's being charged, MEANING it's not the alternator. It's the staaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrttttttteeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrr. Heh.

:huh: Whoa, we get it man. Dang, it was just our opinions on what "could" be wrong:lol :lol http://208.57.88.26/forums/images/smilies/icon_spin.gif