PDA

View Full Version : Need help diagnosing a problem

Wanna Be Engineer
04-05-2003, 03:37 PM
Ok so here's the problem: Today I was driving and my car started jerking/bucking like it was stalling. I gave it a little gas and it didn't really help at all. I down-shifted to 2nd gear and that didn't help either. The engine was still running, but it just felt like the car was going to stall. I kept driving and the problem stopped just a few seconds later.

This is the 2nd time something like this has happened. The first time it happened while I was accelerating in 2nd gear. The car would just "die" and nothing would happen when I stepped on the accelerator. I downshifted to first and the problem stopped, and I just shifted through the gears as usual. No problems until today. Both times this happened it was raining/wet out.

So any ideas what could be wrong? I just got a minor tune-up about a month/two months ago. (plugs, filters, no wires or cap and rotor) I also just replaced my starter a few weeks ago. Thanks for the help in advance.

turfnnsurf
04-05-2003, 04:18 PM
Maybe some water got on the cap and plug wires?? did you notice if your pgm-fi light came on in the dash?? Maybe an O2 sensor has gone bad or got unplugged when the mechanic was doing your tune-up.. after the problem happens and you recover from the near stall does the car drive "ok" for the rest of the trip?? till you shut off the motor and start again??

Wanna Be Engineer
04-05-2003, 06:05 PM
I don't think any water got on my distributor, or anything under the hood for that matter. I don't see how unless I opened the hood for something, which I haven't. No warning lights came on or anything so I was caught off-guard so-to-speak. And yes, the car (seems to) drive fine after it happens. I hope this what you're looking for.

meohmy01
04-05-2003, 07:38 PM
dude i had the same problem and there was water in my distributor cap. you might as well check iut since it's just 2 screws.

ACCORD EX
04-06-2003, 08:51 AM
how is gas your milage ! ?
check your coil and wire and cap and rotor ! :D

MIKE

Wanna Be Engineer
04-06-2003, 09:11 AM
I'll go ahead and check out those things next time I'm around my car. My mileage is pretty much the same as it's always been.