PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. My hatchy.... ....::tears::.....

markmdz89hatch
04-05-2003, 07:19 PM
:( :crying: :( :crying: :( :crying: :( :crying: :( :crying:

Tonight is truly the saddest night in all the days I've owned the hatch. In all the years I've owned her, and through the 100+ thousand miles I've put on her, she's never complained. Sure a little squeek or creek, or even a few sick days, but she's never given up. Never left me stranded, and she's never had to be left behind. She dealth with the 1000+ extra watts worth of stereo I put in her. Dealt with being gutted and reassebled multiple times. Dealt with being stolen and abbandoned on the side road with nothing, even so much as a cinder block, let alone a set of wheels separating the botton of the car from the ground, and rebuilt from ground up as a result. Been rear ended twice, and showed only two little bolt marks from it's enemy's front license plate. Had the windows smashed. Dealt with the clumsy-ness of me trying to figure out how to turn a wrench.

...all that only to have to be brought through the humiliation of being shown to the world from the back of a tow truck tonight.

I was on my way to visit the girlfriend, driving not a mile-an-hour over 55 due to two VERY bad wheel cylinders, only to have find itself on the side of the road, warding off any further trouble by flashing those.... ....dare I say it.... ....HAZZARD lights. I was driving, and the battery light on the dash started blinking, then tried soooo hard to maintain it's power but not succeeding, then nothing. No nothing what-so-ever. She just gave up right then and there in the middle of the 3 lane highway. She did however allow me to steer her off to the side of the road.

The alternator is officially DEAD. Now I must make the difficult decision to keep the car or dump it. She's got 2 gone, and 2 going wheel bearings, shot bushings up front, broken lower tranny/engine mount, slipping clutch, leaking head and valve cover gasket, cracked distributor cap, bad rear brakes, a going power steering pump, bad tie-rod ends, and a timing belt with 100+K miles on it. I just don't know if it's worth reviving it. Today might have been the last day she'll ever see the road unless from the back of a wrecker on it's way to it's final resting place.

I'll report back with my final decision as soon as I make it.

86hatchbackLXi
04-05-2003, 07:33 PM
that is quite a sad story. if you do end up getting rid of her is there any chance i can buy those clear bumper lights???

AccordEpicenter
04-05-2003, 08:08 PM
sounds like a parts car

ShawnS
04-05-2003, 08:20 PM
3gee vultures circling........
sorry to hear that dude. i know how you feel . i had my last car for 5 years. it was a very sad day when i was gone.

rare_89lxi_coupe
04-05-2003, 10:35 PM
I'm sorry. My car is dead too- but the car was perfect- I killed it. Sorry about your luck. Maybe you should just give it up.

'A20A3'
04-05-2003, 11:44 PM
fuck that. don't listen to all these quitters. don't fucking give up. that car, like you said never died on you and was always there. don't just drop it like it isn't anything to you. keep that car. fix it. however long it takes. just do it. don't give in man....

A20 FOR LIFE

Chubs87Accord
04-06-2003, 03:39 AM
whoa.. call down im_on_ might wanna cut back ont eh steroids a bit.. roid rage is a bad thing, haha

marky mark.. sorry to hear man maybe itll be worth it to strip all the good stuff you have off of it and slap it on a new 3g.. its your choice.. again sorry to hear the cars gone, we all know you loved the yin-yang mobile (cause its black and white) :sadwave:

carotman
04-06-2003, 06:46 AM
Nothing that can't be fixed easily...

PhydeauX
04-06-2003, 06:49 AM
And I though you were going to put those webers on it. Nothing you've listed there is any harder then that.

andy

em_
04-06-2003, 07:51 AM
keep it ... buy a 200$ 3gee from somewhere just for parts and keep that car

those cars are the best

IWLSF
04-06-2003, 10:12 AM
Haha, you gotta love some of the 3geez members. This has to fit under a "You are a 3g lover if:"

- 14 minutes after someone explains how their car quit last night and they dont know if they want to keep it or not, you offer to buy parts from them

88LXi68
04-06-2003, 10:57 AM
I think this is a perfect excuse to start putting my engine into your car! You car has 200K+ miles so that alternator definitely withstood the test of time. Its a regular thing that has to be changed every so often. Timing belt?!?! take my A20 and rebuild it with a new belt and gaskets and you will have already solved HALF of your problems. first maurice, now you??:confused:

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
04-06-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by 88LXi68
I think this is a perfect excuse to start putting my engine into your car! You car has 200K+ miles so that alternator definitely withstood the test of time. Its a regular thing that has to be changed every so often. Timing belt?!?! take my A20 and rebuild it with a new belt and gaskets and you will have already solved HALF of your problems. first maurice, now you??:confused:

Well Good Luck Marky! I offered Grant a few things from my engine for his Efi project! But whatever else I don't need u can have Mark!

dXsquared
04-06-2003, 01:19 PM
B20!!!!

Travis

Jims 86LXI HB
04-06-2003, 01:22 PM
Sorry to here you car let you down mark. With the list of things you mention that it already had wrong with it, you'll have to ask yourself (as I'm sure you've already done before this happened) how much effort and money you want to put into the car. Maybe you can find it within yourself to make the repairs, but it's a decision only you can make. I know whatever you do will be the right decision for you.

IWLSF
04-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Yeah, you just need to sit down now and begin making a list of what you need, and what the cost'll be. Also if you can do it yourself, or if not, how much it'll cost to get it done. The only other option (besides a swap, which I think is out of the question) is to get another car. And then you'll have to realize if you can get a cheap car that'll be as reliable as these 3geez. Who knows, maybe you could buy another running one that you can squeeze another 50k out of or something. Either way, good luck.

da6integra
04-06-2003, 03:21 PM
Sorry to hear that bro....Im sure u can find another hatch for the price of the repairs on this one and as u part out this one.. invest in the other.. Or just get a g2 teggy... oops.. that the car i drive.. my bad...lol
j/k... Stay true to what u love to drive.. not to what others love to see.
Angel

ACCORD EX
04-06-2003, 04:10 PM
i really like your car Mark ! :)

MIKE

markmdz89hatch
04-06-2003, 06:22 PM
alright guys, here's the story.

The hatch is reborn and feeling much better. I got up at 7 this morning and did exactly what was mentioned. I made a list. Funny thing is, the list and logical reasoning told me that I needed to cut my losses and junk the car. I mean afterall, it treated me great for 100+K mi. and did it in style for almost 4 years.

So I sat there for a few hours after making the list. Then I went over my parts stock in the basement to see just what was down there. End result.

....IT'S ALIVE!!..................THE HATCH IS REBORN!!!!!

After I decided it wasn't worth it, I said Fuck it and went to work. After spending god only knows how much time figuring how to get the alternator out of the maroon coupe I have, I went right to work on the hatch with a known working alternator. While I was at it, I replaced the whole damn knuckle on the front left to rid myself of that bearing problem. Also took the time to flush and refill the tranny. And just for shits and giggle, I adjusted the clutch. So now many of the problems are solved, and she'll bring me to work tomorrow morning, just as she normally would.

So everyone, breath again! The hatch is here to stay! Steve, I'll try and get by ur house this coming weekend to pick up the engine and start my work on that. ...and also, next weekend I'm replacing the ass end with rear disc. And I'll put in the rear Ingalls kit, and front 'lude control arms w/new b/j's. So I'm tired, and smell and look like grease, but I'm happy.

Thanks to all those that told me to bring it back from the dead. It IS back now, and I fell much better about it.

AvgWhtMale
04-06-2003, 06:57 PM
*sniff* what a heartwarming story...

86AccordLxi
04-06-2003, 06:59 PM
Wonderful news!!! Glad to hear the hatch is back!!

Alex

88LXi68
04-06-2003, 07:31 PM
Glad to hear that you are going to stick it out! Get that red coupe registered and all problems will be solved. (hopefully)

AZmike
04-06-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by markmdz89hatch
And I'll put in the rear Ingalls kit, and front 'lude control arms w/new b/j's. So I'm tired, and smell and look like grease, but I'm happy.

Where were you planning to get your Prelude ball joints? I have a pair I got at autozone and one of the boots is already torn after less than a year. It has a lifetime warranty and the part is easy to take out, but alignments aren't that cheap. You may want to spent the extra money for the Honda parts if the cost difference isn't too big.

Jareds 89 LX-i
04-06-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by 89LXi4dr
Where were you planning to get your Prelude ball joints? I have a pair I got at autozone and one of the boots is already torn after less than a year. It has a lifetime warranty and the part is easy to take out, but alignments aren't that cheap. You may want to spent the extra money for the Honda parts if the cost difference isn't too big.
Agreed. If it were me I'd buy them from Honda instead of aftermarket. Not saying the aftermarket ones are terrible or anything, but those are pretty important little things that you DON'T want breaking while you're going down the highway, so I'd feel better knowing I got quality parts that fit exactly. Plus remembering what happened with Juans aftermarket balljoint kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth, lol.

:)

Low Tek
04-06-2003, 08:44 PM
damn good story... thought I was goin to cry - I have an 86 accord HB, and I have put her through hell, and she is everything.. races, mods, and more.. soon I will be parting with the stock intake manifold, for I have a b16... never give up...

IWLSF
04-06-2003, 09:25 PM
Awesome bro, glad to see it's aliiiiiive.

cdscowboy
04-06-2003, 11:27 PM
persistence pays off in the end...as others have said, a very heartwarming story!!! shows you how much die-hard 3g'rs can be!!!:D

IWLSF
04-06-2003, 11:28 PM
Yeah no shit lol.

1988starter
04-07-2003, 08:28 AM
Just \remember to get a better clutch before you install the webbers.

goldyaccord
04-08-2003, 12:19 AM
Awwww maaaan.. You got me feeling all guilty of my car now! I'm starting to wish i had just gotten another tranny and replaced the Dist. O ring. eh.

the car is probly all torn up now..... waaaaaaaaah!

goldyaccord
04-08-2003, 12:19 AM
what the heck! my first ever double post.. and I didnt even do anything to cause that.

oh well.

wikkedv15
04-11-2003, 04:42 PM
lol like my sig says.. its never enough is it??
GOTTA LOVE DEM DAMN 3GEEZ...
anyhoot..
ya glad to see ur hanging in there.. i have felt like tossing mine every now and then but something keeps me in there...
oh well.. i love my 86 Hatchie...

Grant2k
04-11-2003, 05:36 PM
wow mark, i can't believe you almost gave up on the hatch. well i'm glad you are back in action and i can't wait to see it with those webers.

KaMiKaZeE
04-11-2003, 05:47 PM
w00tw00t go Mark go Mark its yo birthday get busy! lol I love it when i see ppl stick it out with their cars and give them new life again. Good job!

Morpheus
04-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Great story! Very uplifting.

When I have kids, before they go to bed, I'll tell them the story of the 3geez HB that could :D. Screw the train, tell it 3geez style!