PDA

View Full Version : getting only highs out of 6.5s?

4DoorAccordDX
04-06-2003, 03:18 AM
Ok, I posted earlier that I ordered a Blaupunkt from Ikesound.com, well my order didn't go through, something with the card number or somethin, oh well. But I was talkin around a bit, and my cousin says on his deck, it's an Alpine of some sort, he can set it so the speakers runnin off the deck only receive the highs and his subs take care of the base. The only way I know to get my 6.5s to play only the highs is to turn the bass all the way down and the treble up, but by doing that I get no base from my subs. Is there some feature to look for in a deck that is able to send all the lows to the amp runnin my subs, and all the highs to my 6.5s running directly off the deck without an amp? I know you can run an amp to the 6.5s and set it to the high pass, but how can you do it without an amp? What do I look for? I hope you guys understand what I am asking, it seems kinda confusing to me. :wtf:

Thanks in advance for any and all info.

2-Knee

Bobs89LXi
04-06-2003, 07:29 AM
There are two ways this can be done.

The first, and least expensive way is to install a bandpass crossover network on the speaker. This will allow only specific frequencies to pass through to the speaker, while blocking all others. It is a fixed value, so you have no control over which frequencies you allow to pass.

The second way is to install a graphic equalizer and amp to power the 6.5s. It is more expensive, yet you have more control.

Also, many of the high end head units have separate EQ settings for the front, rear, and SUB channels. It is all done electronically via a built-in signal processor. You are going to have to check with your local car stereo shop for more details

shepherd79
04-06-2003, 07:36 AM
almost every high priced Alpine HU does that.
I agree with Bob, just get crossover, set the front, back and sub to what every frequescies you want. Remeber, you don't want just highs and bass. you need some mids too.

Strahan
04-07-2003, 06:19 AM
If all you want to accomplish is cutting the highs from going to the sub just buy an amp with a built in low-pass crossover, that's the simplest.

meohmy01
04-07-2003, 06:25 AM
i have a mid range alpine head unit and it doesn't have that feature. one of my 6.5's only gives of very soft highs. could there be somethng wrong with htis speaker? im not sure what model but i think it's like crystal sound or something. it came with the car. another thing is there is a black box attatched to each of the 6.5's. any idea what that is?

4DoorAccordDX
04-09-2003, 05:53 PM
Ok, I guess a better question would be how can I eliminate only the bass from my 6.5s? I have a 500w Jensen amp runnin my subs and I have it switched to the Low Pass, so I have all the bass I need there. But when I turn up my music there is too much bass going to my 6.5s and they start to pop. I have a cerwin vega amp I am going to eventually hook up and run my front 6.5s. Should I switch that to the Full crossover or High? Basically, my goal is to have the bass taken care of by my subs, and the mids and highs taken care of by my 6.5s, how do I do that?

Thanks in advance for any and all info.

2-Knee

em_
04-11-2003, 03:39 PM
Leave everything the way it is and just buy some tweeters

i had the same problem but after installing the tweeters everything is much better

88LX-iSedan
04-18-2003, 11:21 PM
When you hook up the cerwin vega to the 6.5's just set it to high pass ...If it's still not high enough turn the gain up on the amp ...Be careful not to push them to much though ..Stay within RMS

dXsquared
04-19-2003, 03:00 PM
dont listen to em_

when you get the amp, turn it to high pass
leave the Jensen at low pass

Travis

rideredorgohome
04-22-2003, 07:55 PM
All you guys are trying WAY to hard here. If you want to cut out all the bass to your fronts, just buy a SIMPLE crossover. All you have to do is go to your local stereo shop and ask for a capacitor that will stop all the bass from getting to your 6.5's. It will cost about $4-5. It is that simple. Forget buying a electronic crossover unit for the whole car, or a specific amp. Make it simple and easy.

88LX-iSedan
04-22-2003, 08:15 PM
He already has the amp just needs to hook it up. Besides over all the 6.5s will sound better hooked up to an amp. If ran off the HU they'll just get drowned out by all the bass from the subs. ...Unless he turned the bass down