PDA

View Full Version : everybody hear that tranny go thump, thump, thump..

prozacposterboy
04-06-2003, 07:36 AM
Okay here is the deal here.

Im doing a whole assload of preventative maintenance for my ol beastly 3g. Its got 180,000 and some change miles on it.

When I shift it into any type of gear it makes a slight whine (ive heard it with other 3gs just cant explain) and if i step on the gas hard makes a thump. Its like a slight delay (oh so very slight) between the engine and tranny. I have no clue what it is. Im thinking it may be a motor mount but Im in the middle of waiting for more suspension parts from online so Im not able to advance to the next project as of yet.

If i drive smoothly i hear no problem but if Im crusing and i step on it to pass or otherwise engage my overdrive it has a slight thump and if i step on it hard from stop has a thump.

Also a whining noise more noticable at lower speeds (im assuming from less wind resistance to be able to hear it).

The previous owner kept a log of all maintenance work done on the car (and seems to be accurate). They say the tranny was rebuilt at 70,000 miles (though I have no reason why it;d need to be) so its roughly 110,000 on a rebuilt tranny.

Even with 180,000 miles on it im not sure of how the working conditions should be.

any clues?

P. :super:

prozacposterboy
04-06-2003, 07:38 AM
oh yeah. Im currently replacing both cv halfshafts, wheel bearings and most of my suspension bushings. Just to maybe rule those out.. not sure... confused... early...

smufguy
04-06-2003, 09:42 AM
is it an auto. sounds like its u got auto tranny. Try changing ur ATF and see what happens. My 4g auto tranny does that thump thump while starting from stationary and move forwards, and after that its fine. i should have done done a burnout with my auto :mad: :rant:

if its a 5spd, change ur clutch.

prozacposterboy
04-07-2003, 08:46 PM
yep..its an auto. My next step after I get the front end put back together is a tranny flush. The shop that does my smog checks and any work i cant or wont take on myself, they have a flushing machine for auto trannies. I am understanding that they pump all of the fluids out and then flush it with a detergent that is suposed to clean things out... hope it works.

IWLSF
04-07-2003, 08:49 PM
Yeah, we've got the same setup here. BG Products machine, does it all. Pretty worthwhile investment if you do them a lot (tranny flushes).