PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Tie Rod Ends?

DBMaster
04-06-2003, 11:12 AM
I want to pull my tie rod ends to replace the steering boots. Since I want to be able to reuse the tie rod ends using a pickle fork to separate them from the steering knuckles is out of the question.

If any of you have done this, what tool did you use?

Thanks!

dj99
04-06-2003, 11:22 AM
A 2 jaw puller (pittman arm puller type) inserted carefully under the rubber boot worked for me.

I did recently replace them for about $15 each. The pickle fork was much more fulfilling. :)

DBMaster
04-06-2003, 11:37 AM
That's what I was looking at, but I couldn't tell if the spacing between the jaws was right for this job. Auto Zone loans out tools for free so I could get one there and if it doesn't work, no loss.

Thanks!

YK86
04-06-2003, 01:15 PM
This is excatly what I do for all the balljoints and tie-rods I reuse. Take the castle nut off and then flip it upside down and re install it again until the end of the shaft is just about even with the castle nut so you have a nice flat surface to bang on. This is to avoid screwing up the threads on the shaft and also to keep the part where the cotter pin goes through from collapsing. Flipping the nut upside down is so you don't crush the weak side of the castle nut. Take a hammer and bang a couple times around the knuckle where the shaft goes through (this is to help loosen it). Now carefully bang on the castle nut and the shaft should pop right through. This works great on tie rods and upper balljoints. It's a bit hard to get the lower balljoint out but it does work 50% of the time.

ACCORD EX
04-06-2003, 03:55 PM
here is what i do ! with NO TOOLS ! :D
loosen the castle nut ( not to the end ) hit the SOB with a big hummer once ! ( not on the boot ) it pops right out !
no need for pullers or shit! :D

ofcourse the puller is much better ! but this is much faster ! :D

MIKE

YK86
04-06-2003, 06:02 PM
Use the pickle fork/balljoint tool as a last resort. If the boot rips and the balljoint is still fine, you can buy just the boot a the Honda dealers (cheaper than replacing the whole joint).

DBMaster
04-06-2003, 06:25 PM
I have a four pound sledge hammer that ought to do the trick. I'll give that a shot. If that doesn't work I will get one of those pullers. I will probably be replacing the whole rack in a year or so, anyway. It isn't leaking significantly so I figured I would replace the ripped up boots to get it to last a bit longer.

Thanks for the advice.

anchovies
04-07-2003, 11:13 PM
It should come off without the puller. Little tab on the joint bolt or tie rod with a rubber mallet + block of wood.

ACCORD EX
04-08-2003, 01:09 AM
it 's not always that easy anchovies if it wasn't off for a long time !:D

MIKE

DBMaster
04-08-2003, 04:38 AM
Well, I have an electric impact wrench. Taking off the castle nut with that might help in loosening the stud. The tie rod ends on this car have NEVER been off.

I ordered the steering boots yesterday so once I get them and attempt the job I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Thanks.

greekguy7
04-08-2003, 12:16 PM
I loosened the nut and hit it with a hammer a couple times... didnt want to pop.

So... I took my floor jack, placed it underneath the tie rod and proceeded to slowly raise the jack until it caused the tie rod to pop out.

Kinda ghetto, but it worked fine.....

ACCORD EX
04-08-2003, 01:42 PM
i am happy it worked fine for you ! but i could bend your tie rod end ! so don't attempt to do that again !
and when i said a hammer ! i mean a really big hammer and hit it on the side ! with not loosened but not off !

MIKE

greekguy7
04-09-2003, 04:44 AM
Yes... u r absolutely correct!.... but my intention was to replace the tie rod end.

DBMaster
04-11-2003, 03:36 PM
Well, the hammer idea was not working at all for me. I went to Auto Zone and did their free rental thing for a "Pittman Arm/Tie Rod Puller." That did the trick. If I were going to do this again I would just buy one for $10, but free is good. I do like THAT about Auto Zone. I used their free rental once before for spring compressors when I changed my struts. I didn't even buy the struts there!

Later!

bambamky
05-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Tuesday May06,2003~ I just put on a tie rod todaend tiday and all I use was a fork! And a hammer of course you dont have to have a puller and mine costed me $13
Not too mention it only took me like 15 minutes and the replacement didnt have a castle nut it had a lock~nut
(which I like even better)