PDA

View Full Version : brake light problems

Downlow89LX
04-06-2003, 10:37 PM
The other day I got in my car and was driving down my street and as I hit the brakes my brake lighton my dash came on saying I had a burned out bulb. So, I go and buy the bulbs and change them, but the light still comes on and my passenger brake light and my cyclops still do not work!! :mad: So I checked my fuses but they weren't blown either. If someone knows whats hjappening and knows how to fix it please tell me because I've already been pulled over twice for it. It would be a big help!!

Blue Impact
04-06-2003, 11:15 PM
Maybe you got the wrong amperage light, making them brighter when turned on and your brake lights really don't come on as you apply the brakes. As for you Cyclops thing, try getting a bulb of the right amperage.

88LXi/87CRXSi
04-07-2003, 11:49 AM
If both the right and high mount are out check the sensor connections on your r. brake light first. When I got my car.. same problem. When I pulled the sensor out to look ai it, part of the ciruit had burnt, fixed it by smearing some solder on the burnt area to recomplete the circuit. Fixed it, still wokring:super: Later found the socket on the trunk lid light was corroded, had to replace it.

-steve

Downlow89LX
04-07-2003, 08:43 PM
Where is the sensor connection at?

88LXi/87CRXSi
04-07-2003, 09:09 PM
The sensor is the black box that's mounted on the back side of the brake lights. The connection is where the wires plug into it! ;)

-Steve

Downlow89LX
04-08-2003, 10:53 AM
Sweet man. Thanks!!!

Downlow89LX
04-08-2003, 02:13 PM
Well, you were right!! That sensor was fried. Just got back from the junk yard with another one and it works great!!!! Thanks for the help Steve.:)

88LXi/87CRXSi
04-08-2003, 03:37 PM
Great!!!! Won't have cops hassling ya anymore for the brakes!!
Just a suggestion if you have the time. Might be a good idea to make a quick check of the light sockets & wiring on that side in case there's somthing that might cause the new sensor to fry.

-Steve

Downlow89LX
04-11-2003, 11:28 PM
Good advise. Speaking of which, is there anything else that would be causing that to happen because here it is three days later and that other one just fried too! I'll be able to fix it because I just bought a soldering gun so I won't have to buy another one. I'm going to check the sockets tomorrow but I'll keep you updated.

88LXi/87CRXSi
04-12-2003, 05:49 AM
I sorta thought there might be another problem besides the module. You've definatly gotta short after the sensor. That foil seems to burn before the 20 A fuse blows. :crying:
Check the plugs at the sensor for wires touching, keep an eye out for any burn marks on the white wires, or wires touching the black one. Remove bulbs from sockets and look inside each. Check the wires for the high mount light. I'm guessing it's gotta be right at the rear light or the high one.
Do you have a meter? That would help. The there should be 3 white with green stripe wires & one white with blue stripe. One of the gr/wh wires carries 12V+ for the lights and should have no continuity to ground. The other 3 should be roughly equal when measured to ground (with bulbs in the sockets). The wht/bl might be slightly higher, goes to hi light. If any goes 0 Ohms to ground, thats the one to trace!
Damn, I hope some of that makes sense, I type a bunch of jibberish that confuses more than helps usually.:(

-Steve

*edit*Oops! I meant to type wh/gr instead of gr/wh for the 12v input. also check where the wires bend with the trunk lid.

Downlow89LX
04-13-2003, 12:15 AM
Cool. I'll check that out. Yes, some of that makes sesne to me. If I cant find whats making it short out I will just end up probably buying one from the junkyard. That's my next step. Thanks again for your help' it's very appreciated!!!!!!!:)

Mike's89AccordLX
04-13-2003, 12:21 AM
I hope that it doesn't happen again. I had this happen before and I found out that the light was the wrong bulb, so I put the right ones in and presto. It works fine now.

Downlow89LX
04-13-2003, 12:46 AM
If they are the wrong bulbs and that is why its doing that, I'll have to punch the napa guy in the face for selling me the bulbs that he said were the right ones.:mad: A little off topic of brake lights, but where did you get your weber intake from?

Mike's89AccordLX
04-13-2003, 12:52 AM
www.carbsunlimited.com For an arm and a leg though. I'm sad b/c I will have to cut the pipe to make it fit under where my hoodscoop is going to go.