PDA

View Full Version : Lost 5 gear, help>????

Jebus
04-08-2003, 10:20 AM
Um lets see, when I'm in 5 gear it whines,then a few days ago I was going to get gas, I'm in 5 gear and boom losted it just makes a grind sound, all other gears work>>

MrBen
04-08-2003, 10:50 AM
Get a new clutch. Yours is gone!

Welcome to the board!

Jebus
04-08-2003, 10:55 AM
Just got a new clutch 2 days ago,fifth gear doesn't work, anyone know if it mybe a minior thing like a pin or synchro spring or the synchro rings?

AZmike
04-08-2003, 11:03 AM
Drain you tranny oil and remove the side cover and take a look. The fifth gears are on the end of the shafts so you can inspect them with the transmission still installed.

88LXi/87CRXSi
04-08-2003, 11:34 AM
First, welcome to the board! Yep, do what 89LXi4dr said. When mine went, it was the splnes on the inside of the countershaft gear stripped out. It cost me $65.20 for a new gear,nut,dish shaped washer?, gasket and s/h from Majestic Honda. Plus 2½ Qts. of oil. Other people will tell you to change the trans, but I gave it a try and it's still holding up.
Might want to check the FAQ section and download the service manual, at least the manual trans section. Good luck

-Steve

89NinjaAccordLX
04-08-2003, 11:49 AM
I've seen a stripped revese/5th gear in 3geez four times in the past year. The tranny I got for my swap had a stripped 5th. My friend had a stripped 5th right after that. I saw two at the junkyard with a fudged 5th. In any case just go to a junkyard and jack the 5th from one of those. Just bring a wide range of sockets and a breaker bar because the nut holding in the 5th gear assembly is a rather large biatch. Total time to replace 5th the first time: 45 minutes

89NinjaAccordLX
04-08-2003, 11:49 AM
Oops double post.

meohmy01
04-08-2003, 11:50 AM
you changed it? im exploring all of my option im stuck between doing a whole new drive train or overhauling the engine and fixing the tranny. was it difficult. like would a 45 year old chevy guy with 2 6 packs of bud in him (my mechanic.) be able to do it?

Jebus
04-08-2003, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the help! Its going to be looked at on monday so I will let you all know what went wrong. Oh I'm from Canada and live on a Island P.E.I.

IWLSF
04-08-2003, 12:33 PM
He loses 5th gear, so his clutch is bad? That doesnt make sense.

Jebus, was that a factory replacement, like a Luk brand or something? Or was it an aftermarket/higher performance brand? If it was the latter, I'd check out your synchros. They tend to be a bitch if too strong of a pressure plate is used.

Oh wait, can you even shift into 5th? If you can, and it just grinds, then nevermind. It may be a gear problem itself.

88LXi/87CRXSi
04-08-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by meohmy01
you changed it? im exploring all of my option im stuck between doing a whole new drive train or overhauling the engine and fixing the tranny. was it difficult. like would a 45 year old chevy guy with 2 6 packs of bud in him (my mechanic.) be able to do it?
Yeah, I did, I'm a cheap bastard! Naw, wasn't hard at all, except for removing the old F*%@!g gasket. As long as he has a torque wrench and follows the proper torque procedure, 90 Nm (65ft/lbs)>0>90 nm (65ft/lbs) on the nut he should have no problems. Like 89NinjaAccordLX said about 45 min. Still gotta make sure that's what went bad on yours! Also, how hard you plan on driving it and the condition of your trans. should be considered before you bother fixing it. It's still a gamble, so far I'm lucky, but, ya never know! :rolleyes:

Also... something I keep forgetting to mention! If you decide to open it up, built into the cover is a tube that, is supposed to direct oil to the gears. Make sure it's not blocked, I think mine was and in spite of having the proper oil level, I lost the gear.:(

-Steve

meohmy01
04-08-2003, 12:48 PM
ok. i have all the books he's just basically an extra hand. i drive very hard on my cars often redline them. ill check it out if the weather ever clears up. it's been raining and snowing for the past 2 weeks. probably this weeken ill take a look. i doubt ill find a tranny for as cheap as it'll cost me to fix this one. i don't really drive this car so i don't want to put a whole lot of money into it.

meohmy01
04-08-2003, 12:49 PM
are there any instructions anywhere on this procedure?

Jebus
04-08-2003, 12:52 PM
My local auto place put in a new clutch just stock not aftermarket but I lost 5 gear before the clutch went, oh I forgot to say that when its in neutral it makes noises like theres metal jumping around or somthing lose!

IWLSF
04-08-2003, 12:59 PM
It could be clutch chatter, but I'm not thinking a factory replacement would do that. That's more of for 6-4 puck applications with an upgraded p.p.

88LXi/87CRXSi
04-08-2003, 01:08 PM
That noise is probably the gear spinning on the shaft, when it shouldn't be. It's just grinding the inside of the gear up more. I didn't need my car, so I shut it down right away.

meohmy01 - Just follow the assembly/ disassembly procedure in the manual, not really much to it.

-Steve

88LXi/87CRXSi
04-08-2003, 04:13 PM
Don't know if this will be of any help but this is basically what I did:
1) Remove oil fill bolt (gonna need to take it off anyway later, might as well see if the level is low and you've got leaks you should fix)
2) Remove oil drain bolt, below and to the left of axle. It has a square hole that a 3/8 drive rachet fits into, no socket. (sorry, don't know the metric equiv.) Drain oil from trans.
3) Remove the 8 (10mm socket) bolts that hold the cover on, and remove the cover.
This is NOT necesary to do, but, at this point, I set the brake, started the engine, and put it in 5th gear. (Wasn't going anywhere anyway LOL) The mainshaft gear (front, bigger) was spinning the countershaft gear (rear, smaller). If you're gonna try that, make sure nothing like wires. tools. fingers, etc. can get in the gears!! And I repeat, you don't need to do this, It's just what I did to figure out what was wrong with mine.
4) Bend the locking tab out of the counter shaft nut, put the trans in a gear (forgot what gear I used so the shaft didn't turn), block tires, remove nut, 22mm socket I think.
5) Remove washer and gear. at this point inspect the splines on the countershaft, cause if they're f#&@!d up...so is the trans.
Hopefully it's the countershaft gear like mine was. If it's the mainshaft gear you also have to remove the shift fork and mainshaft nut 30mm? to get that off.
Clean everything, the shaft, the other gear, gasket, the cover (remember that tube I mentioned? I used some vac line tubing on it to check.
When putting it back together I would recommend using an assembly lube (oil, lucas oil stabilizer, etc.) on the gears so they don't start dry.
Put gear on, the spacing collar toward the case, (with lube), washer with dish facing gear, then nut. Torque to 90 Nm (65 Ft/lb), loosen to zero, re-torque to 90 Nm (65 Ft/lb). Bend in the locking tab to secure the nut to the shaft.
Put the cover & gasket back on, torque bolts to 12 Nm (9 Ft/lb). There is a sequence to torque the cover bolts, so check the manual.
Replace the drain bolt if you didn't already, and refill the trans with oil. repace intake or anything you moved. That's about all I remember doing. Hope that helps someone.

-Steve

MrBen
04-08-2003, 04:51 PM
Please disregard my post. That wasn't me.

Telling us your clutch was new would have been a good thing to put in your first post.

The symptoms you describe are not good, and I wouldn't run your car until you get it fixed. What 88LXi said is very good information.

AZmike
04-08-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by 88LXi/87CRXSi
Don't know if this will be of any help but this is basically what I did:

-Steve

What about the 5 mm spring pin that holds the 5th gear shift fork? You skipped that step. I was having trouble getting that out with the transmission still in the car. Any hints?

88LXi/87CRXSi
04-08-2003, 06:05 PM
That's right... if you have to remove the main shaft gear, not if your just replacing the countetrshaft gear! Which is what I did, and described! :)

-Steve

AZmike
04-08-2003, 09:47 PM
Ok Steve, I thought you were giving instructions for the removal and inspection of the whole 5th gear assembly. I have a bit of whine in 5th and was trying to pull both of the 5th gears at the pull-a-part. I'll probably just pull the tranny out of the car and get a good swing at that pin.

89AccordLXI666
04-09-2003, 09:33 PM
I lost my 5th gear... I can put into 5th gear with out a problem the only thing is, it feels like I'm just in nuetral, and the engine is just reving when I hit the gas... so i dunno if I have to replace the 5th gear sprocket or what... n e ine have any Idea's? Thanks Lataz

88LXi/87CRXSi
04-10-2003, 05:12 PM
89AccordLXI666, yeah, one of the gears for 5th needs to be replaced. Could either be the countershaft gear (fairly easy) or the gear on the mainshaft (which also has the synchronizer hub, ring bearing, etc.) That one I didn't have to mess with, but like 89LXi4dr mentioned removing the shift fork spring pin will cause you grief. The only way to find out is to pull the cover off and inspect. If you have all the parts onhand (and it's not 10°F outside like it was when I did it) it could probably be fixed in an afternoon. If you have to wait for parts or find them at a j/y be prepared to do without your car until you get them.

-Steve

Jebus
04-14-2003, 12:50 PM
Ok its going to cost $180 with tax to fix 5 gear! cuz the gear got stripped

buzzbomber88lx
04-14-2003, 02:17 PM
I'd say if you just bought a new clutch it may need broken in. but i have never heard of a clutch making it sound like that. synchros??

buzzbomber88lx
04-14-2003, 02:18 PM
oh crap i should have read to the end!