PDA

View Full Version : Lx --------> Lx-i

Qpats
04-08-2003, 05:55 PM
Hello,

This is my first post ;)

I got last month a Honda Accord LX 1989 and last week a 1989 Accord LX-I with a bad engine in it. Everything else work fine. I was told by my brother in law that the engine was locked up pretty bad or something. He said he was gonna try to find out if it was possible to fix it but he says that it would be better to put another engine in it. So we are gonna switch engines from the Accord LX into the LX-I one. After this engine swap, will the car have as much HP and Torque as a stock Accord 89 LX-I.
I know my question might sound stupid , easy or not important but I do not know a lot about cars and I thought I could ask you guys about it. what is good about the engine we are gonna put in my new car , it was driven by an old couple who would go on trips often so it was towed by a camper most of the time.

Thanks for answering my questions!

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
04-08-2003, 06:36 PM
What exactly are u swaping from the Lx? The lx is carb & the Lx-i is fuel Injected!

Qpats
04-08-2003, 06:48 PM
The engine on my Accord LX is good but on the LX-I it is bad.

Can't we connect the injection parts from the LX-I engine on the LX one?

I thought it was possible since its the same engine except one has a carburetor and the other one is Fuel Injected.

People switch to EFI and make a lot more modifications so I think it is possible..

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
04-08-2003, 07:00 PM
What is wrong with the Lx-i engine??

Qpats
04-08-2003, 07:16 PM
My brother in law said that the engine from the LX-I is locked up or stuck I dunno. ( he said its overfilled with oil, they put way too much he said thinking that the engine would not be stuck anymore, thats what my brother in law thinks) It kinda knocks or something when they try to start it. The person who had it before said they were driving it and it started knocking and after they stopped on the side of the road they tried to start it and it would not.

carotman
04-08-2003, 10:11 PM
the 89 lx-i has more compression than the LX, you will lose a bit of power there

smufguy
04-09-2003, 07:36 AM
ur basically going from a 9.3:1 compression to a 9.1:1 compression. Not a big sacrifice, since u have not driven the lx-i yet, u wont see the power loss. But like our God Carotman said, u will be losing power and torque. u will be getting a lil more milage so thats a point huh?

Qpats
04-09-2003, 09:45 AM
So even if it is the same year and I put the LX engine in my LX-I it wont give me as much horsepower and Torque? I thought that only the carburetor or the EFI system was making a difference. I thought that a 89 engine with a carburetor was giving 98 HP and if I was using the same engine but fuel injected , it would go up to 120.

So instead of being around 120 HP it will be around 115?

Thanks!

smufguy
04-09-2003, 01:02 PM
no it would not, having a carb block instead of ur efi block under fuel injected fuel system would not just add 120 hp.

86-89 carbed engine = 98 hp

86-87 efi motor = 110hp

88-89 efi motor = 120hp

the reason being, the 88-89 efi block had a dual stage intake, better compression and a 4-2-1 header.

its not just the fuel system u use. MIKE (A20A1) has a efi block <<88-89>> and he sees a boost in power with his carb set up. but he has a webber carb so u know the compression makes a little noticable power and thats about it. Just higher compression does not give you insane increase in hp as talked about in a lot of other threads.

SO follow the years and the motors and thats pretty much given hp ur gonna have to work around with.