PDA

View Full Version : Installation....HELP

Microstreak
04-08-2003, 09:47 PM
i just got my kicker amp, it is the kx600.4 model. im planing on running 75wx4 at 4 ohms to my kappa speakers. Only problem is i have no friggen clue what wiring kit to get. The amp probably needs a 4gauge kit for pwr and ground but other than that i don't know. This is going to be my first amp install, so i don't know too much about wiring(ie wht to get and which wires need to be replaced). :stupid:

my front kappaz handle 75w rms, so i decided to go 75w all around b/c it would just be cheaper to get a amp to do 75x4 than get two and do 75x2 and 110x2.

Anyway, ebay has some 4 ga wiring kits going for 20 bucks. can somebody help me out and tell me if i need a full kit, or just a few wires other than the power and ground for the amp?

Also before i forget, does anybody have maroon/brown rear 6x9 speaker adapters? my speakers are too big. hehe.

AccordEpicenter
04-09-2003, 04:47 AM
get a full kit with rcas and some ring terminals. I payed less than $40 for my kit on ebay. BTW you DONT need a distribution block unless you plan on running more than one amp, if youre just gonna run that amp run the 4 gauge power and ground right into the amp. Just fusing it near the battery (they say less than a foot away from the batt for safety) is sufficent. Oh yeah get a kit that has at least 19 foot of power cable and at least 3 ft of ground cable, and at least 14 ft of amp turn on wire. You should be set then. Its always better to go overkill on your amp and wiring because then they perform better, because you probably wont stress your equipment that much. You dont need too much speaker wire, if you know what youre doing you can put the amp in your trunk and use the stock wiring to run the front speakers because you can hook up the speakers in the back deck area right from the amp in the trunk... so youre not using the factory wiring. What you can do with that is use it for your front speakers, connect the speaker wires you have from the amp to the ones that are there from the stock head unit then at the back of the head unit where the wires from all the speakers come together you can just connect the rear channel wires to the fronts and then you have all your speakers working. You have to make sure the black and red ( + and -) are hooked up correctly. Oh yea also make sure if you do that to make sure none of the speaker wires are actually connected to the head unit still

Microstreak
04-09-2003, 10:25 AM
thanks for the info on wht type of amp kit to get. but you kind of lost me in your explanation of the installation. i want to replace the old speaker wires, only b/c ther so old and might not provide as much clarity as new ones. i plan on bolting the amp down to the back of the rear seats so it is close to the rear speakers but im still going to have a problem with diong the front speakers. what kind of speaker wire would i have to get for the front and back. i plan on running 75x4. and could you clarify what you were saying before i'm confused. thanks for the help

AccordEpicenter
04-09-2003, 12:48 PM
i doubt youd hear a difference, but you might. I think you should make sure you get good quality rcas, then your hear a difference. The amp you have is very good, keep it. Id be careful about bolting it down like that, it would probably ground the case of the amp (heatsink) and that is usually a very bad thing to do, because the backs of the seats are steel. To protect from that (it could wreck the amp, im not sure how the amp is internally connected) just screw it down to a piece of mdf covered with carpet to make it look good and then bolt the mdf down. If you wanna run speaker wire run 16 gauge or bigger (lower #) wire and you should be set. If you wanna run new speaker wires nevermind my explanation in my first post about the speaker wires.

POS carb
04-09-2003, 01:33 PM
yea and sometimes it's best to leave room for improvement... 4 gauge will leave you with enough power for future upgrades. I've run 16 gauge on 75x4 to my speakers, anything more than 14 gauge is kind of overkill...
get the full kit unless you are using speaker-level inputs (yuck)

86hatchbackLXi
04-09-2003, 01:36 PM
with that much power you could even run 8 ga and it would work fine. just make sure to make good solid connections everywhere to avoid problems later on

Microstreak
04-09-2003, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the help everybody, i just got the amp in the mail, there some small scratches and goo on the case, other than that its fine. i talked to the retailer (seller) about this, and asked him b/c i bid on a new amp. and he said he doesn't sell anything used. So i'm going to ship it back to him and hes going to reimburse me for the shipping cost and exchange me for it. i know it might not be big deal, but i payed money for a new amp. I could live with these scratches, its just id rather wait a few days and get a clean new one, know what i mean?

Microstreak
04-10-2003, 07:16 PM
i was wondering, what would be the best way to wire the speakers? the back speakers are easy, and im guessing the easiest way to run the power cable is through the passenger side. but as for the front speakers, i have no clue how im going to wire that. any input?

Rosen99
04-11-2003, 06:17 AM
I worked for a year in the install bay @ BEst Buy & all my buddies always come to me when they end up doing something wrong w/ their sound system. The Best thing to do is to pay the extra $$$ and get a Rockford Fosgate Full Amp Install Kit. They run around $70 but its worth it bc if ur gonna want to be proud of how it sounds and the way everybody else perceives it..u might as well go all out. Get DynaMat for the Speakers b/c there will be rattling in the most peculiar places...(ie: sunroof if u have one, back windows that pop open/close, & trunk)
You DONT have to rewire the whole car unless the old wiring is just frayed and shard to crapola. Make sure u get the proper ring terminals for the amps and wire crimps for the the speaker wire connections.
I have a Pioneer Head Unit w/ 6 1/2" Rockfords int he front, 6x9" Rockfords int he back and a single Rockford HE2 12" in my trunk. I got a seperate 4-channel amp for the speakers and a seperate amp for the sub. It may seem like too much power for ur car to handle but it sounds exceedingly well. Not too bassy and just loud enough to turn heads where ever I go.
If you need any help with components or installation...gimme a holla...ill send u some pics of what ive done and id be more than willing to help u crank out an awesome system.....

Microstreak
04-11-2003, 10:08 PM
a rockford guy eh? No offense, but i don't like bestbuy at all, they overcharge like a mother on every single thing. as for the dynamat, hellz no, that costs mad money, id rather get something cheaper that does the same job, as for the wiring, i want to do it only b/c the wires are literally 16 yrs old, i don't want to end up havin less power goin to the front speakers just b/c of old wirez, i guess ill have to see what im goin to do when i do the install...

POS carb
04-11-2003, 11:09 PM
yyea plus if your amp is in the trunk you'd need to run wires up front anyway.

Rosen99
04-14-2003, 08:20 AM
im not gonna argue the fact that BEST BUY does overcharge like a b@#$!....in fact they have a 100% mark-up on all their car-audio equipment...ont he other-hand though...workin there does have its perks.....like the 50% off everything back there so it was worth it....DYNAMAT is expensive but again..it pays to have friends int he right places...if ur ever down in VA..try to get over to CRUTCHFIELD in HARRISONBURG, VA...ask for RYAN and tell him that i sent ya..hes the MGR there and an old friend from grade school.....so instead of paying out the ass for the installation of speakers & dynamat up the whazoo..all i had to do was buy the beer for the weekend...the rest was history i guess...regardless..good luck ont he install...and do everyone a favor...stay away from BEST BUY..not only do they overcharge...but some of their install bays are mad shady...Circuit Citys too...ur always better off doing it urself

AccordEpicenter
04-14-2003, 04:04 PM
yeah i second that about circuit city.. their install bays are mad mad shady... i wouldnt let them touch my car.