PDA

View Full Version : Is it the main relay!? help me!

XXFearThisXX
04-09-2003, 12:47 AM
ok i have a starting problem like most posts i read about alot of people seem to have a starting prob well anyways mines been to pepboys for not starting alot they said the alternator and starter are ok and the battery was bad so i got a new battery and it started for a while for like 2-3 days now its starting sometimes and sometimes its not..recently i started it and sounds ok when i start it but then most of the time if i turn it off right after i started it then it will die i thought hmm are pepboys sure it aint the stater or alternator then i found out about in the older hondas they made shitty main relays in them and i live in florida and its pretty hot over here but the other day i turned it on it will go up to 1500 rpms and drop to o and turn off sometimes when it does that to keep it alive i hurry and rev it to 3000 rpms or 6-8 redline thats how bad it is just wondering if anyone knows for sure if its the MAIN RELAY OR STARTER..:( i just been thinkin its Either one but mostly the main relay.. i heard it was like 40 bucks from the honda dealer ship.. i dont know if its easy to put on or hard and expensive..:( help me out please..

anchovies
04-09-2003, 01:52 AM
Can't be sure it's the main relay. But next time before you start your car after the car has been sitting in the sun for a while, try this.
Open all windows and air the car for a while. Also try to turn the key to the on position but don't crank it yet. Turn it a few times to build fuel pressure. Then try and start it.
Did you check your air filter?
Sounds like fuel problem. It is intermittent?

XXFearThisXX
04-09-2003, 03:05 AM
i checked my air filter it looks clean i dont know if its a fuel problem i dont know what u mean when u say intermittent? but ill try that u mean turning the key back and forth a few times to build fuel pressure? i dint know about that how does that work?

AccordEpicenter
04-09-2003, 04:24 AM
so does it crank over no matter what, or it does turn over somtimes and not others. If it turns over all the time like its supposed to but somtimes it starts and somtimes it doesnt thats most likely a main relay. Ive heard for main relays are like double what you said... like $75-$85 but im not sure i havnt bought one

DBMaster
04-09-2003, 06:28 AM
If you order the main relay from www.hondaautomotiveparts.com it is about $37. I bought one last year.

Actually, when you turn your key to "On" you should hear a click form the left side of the dash when the engine light comes on. After a second or two you should hear a second click. Both of these are coming from the relay as it is two relays in one little box. I found that on certain hot days I was not getting the second click and then the car would die immediately after starting. I pried open the relay and hit the guts with some tuner cleaner spray and it worked fine until my new one came in.

XXFearThisXX
04-09-2003, 09:55 AM
yeah u guys are probally right i have been thinkin lately that its the main relay it turns over new battery and no probs with the alternator or starter so i guess thats it cause it turns over but most of the time it starts and some other times at bad moments it doesint START but yeah ill check that out what u said dbmaster also thanx for the info on a cheaper main relay im thinkin most likely its the main relay now..:(

anchovies
04-09-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by XXFearThisXX
i checked my air filter it looks clean i dont know if its a fuel problem i dont know what u mean when u say intermittent? but ill try that u mean turning the key back and forth a few times to build fuel pressure? i dint know about that how does that work?

Intermittent, as in does it happen regularly at the same conditions. Like it only happens when it's hot out and not cold. Only happens in the afternoons and not nights.
You can get the main relay at any auto parts store. If you can return it (some don't accept returns on eletronics), then get it and try it out. If you get from honda, you can't return anything.

Coitis1
04-09-2003, 12:27 PM
check your ecu, make sure it's not throwing out any codes. sounds like a main relay, but those kinda things can be hard to pinpoint.