PDA

View Full Version : carb manifold: bypassing the coolant lines

POS carb
04-09-2003, 02:50 PM
ok assuming your carb can handle it...

removing the coolant lines from the intake manifold should create a noticable gain in power by reducing intake temperatures, however, this would only work if the heat transfered to the manifold by the head is less than that of the coolant lines passing through it.

the challange: anybody have a thermal meter? we need to let the engine idle after a full warmup and check the manifold temp with and without the coolant lines to see if this is feasable because if the heat transfer from the head is excessive then it will cause more damage than good.

88 Accord DX
04-09-2003, 02:57 PM
ive got a friend that has this thermomiter that uses a laser pointer to tell temperature. i could try and use that. just tell me what i have to do to remove the coolant line.

ACCORD EX
04-09-2003, 02:57 PM
man you are back on carb bussiness ! :D :D

MIKE

1988starter
04-09-2003, 03:07 PM
Yea POS Carb is back

SiR
04-09-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
man you are back on carb bussiness ! :D :D

MIKE

Someone has to do the dirty work of dealing with carbs!

This sounds intresting, keep us posted about it.

shepherd79
04-09-2003, 03:19 PM
i have done it, and yes you can feel the diff. after driving for 3 hours in 80 deg tem weather i touched the intake manifold next to the head and it was a little warm, i could keep my hand on it.
touching intake manifold under the carb, it is ice cold.
when i did this i didn't move my temperature sensor. if you let it sit for like 30-45 minutes, manifold is going to warm up, but after 10 minutes of driving i could see the temperature dropping right back to ice cold.

88 Accord DX
04-09-2003, 03:46 PM
so it works okay and wont jack anything up??? if so just tell me what i need to do to remove the lines.

IWLSF
04-09-2003, 04:11 PM
Yeah me too, I'm interested...

A20A1
04-09-2003, 06:37 PM
Hey what about my how-to :(

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9985

Hey Eric I just cut my intake manifold so that I have 2 runners with enough of a lip to connect two rubber pipe joints that will hopefully be resistant to gas... I'l look around the junk yard for 2 bike carbs and see if i can get them to fit up. if not I'm thinking of making 2 J rubber pipes meet up to a single side draft facing forward to catch the air. or maybe a different carbon some custom manifold... hood clearance is not an issue... I just want to have a little fun.

Justin86
04-09-2003, 07:06 PM
So how would I be able to do all of this while still having heat. I live in Grant Pass, Oregon! One day it will be 75 degrees outside then two days later it is snowing. So what should I do?

AccordEpicenter
04-09-2003, 07:45 PM
Ive done a similar bypass on an FI accord and it worked well, but ive only had it in cold weather so far, nothing over 50 degrees and its worked flawlessly but we will have to see when its like 75. It did give a little increase in power too

1988starter
04-09-2003, 08:04 PM
yea when my car is repaired I will try that

POS carb
04-09-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Justin86
So how would I be able to do all of this while still having heat. I live in Grant Pass, Oregon! One day it will be 75 degrees outside then two days later it is snowing. So what should I do?

you can get a heater valve from the junk yard like the one on the firewall and run a cable into the drivers seat so you can open or close the flow.