PDA

View Full Version : need help!

jay1988lx
04-09-2003, 08:01 PM
1988 accord/lx is testing my patience. This is the problem. It actually started about a week ago or a little longer than that. The car starts up no problem at all, but when I get it going it jerks or stomps back and then continues to run perfectly for awhile. It's not a back fire or anything, but like a jerk, I mean it is somtimes hard enough to give you a whiplash.

autozone told me it was my carb? I went to a mechanic for a second opinion, he told me to buy a distributor cap, rotor and fuel filters. Changed all of that today! Got real excited cas I actually felt the car move a little faster of the start. Than I got around the block and it started up again. (changed both primary and secondary fuel filters)

So, that is why Im asking you experts out there for your help! Please.

Oh, one of my buddies hooked up a radio, amp, and speakers. Now my lights in the dash keep flickering. It stays pretty low, then it decides to brighten up, then goes low again. Now, I just realize when I start the car it sounds pretty normal, but once I turn the head lights on the engine loses power. The question is? Is it the carb, my friend hooking something or disconnecting something under the dashboard, a little of both, or something else.

Sorry for the long novel here but I just want to make sure I dont leave any info out that will help you all break down the problem. Once again please help..........:werd:

racinevrywhere
04-10-2003, 06:54 AM
I had the same problem with my accord. I ended up having to replace the fuel pump. It sounds like the exact same problem so try that.

jay1988lx
04-10-2003, 02:03 PM
Hey thanx for the input, I will try that right now. About right now Im hoping its the water pump and not the carb.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
04-10-2003, 03:05 PM
Does this problem occur when you have the sound system on? The dash lights dim because there is a large power consumption and the voltage drops. The reason your engine loses power with the headlights on is because the increased power consumption makes your alternator harder to turn. As the electrical requirements of the car increase, the alternator becomes much harder to turn due to its magnetic nature. This also causes your engine RPMs to drop. It could be a weak battery which is not holding enough juice to act as a capacitor and prevent voltage drops. Check your voltage and see if it is too low. Check your alternator as well to make sure that it charges properly.

Hope this is helpfull.

jay1988lx
04-10-2003, 05:43 PM
Hey thanx for the advice. That sure makes alot of sense. And yes the dim lights started right after we put the stereo system in, but, would the lights still dim like that with the stereo system off? cas, it still happens with the stereo off. I mean one second its dim and then BAM its as bright as it can be.

jay1988lx
04-10-2003, 05:51 PM
Well, I just check my water pump and its still in good working condition. Damn, I really thought or was hoping it was this. I'm really thinking its the carburetor. Hell! What to do!

Question: Rebuild or get a WEber or conversion if so what is the ball park figure $$$$$ on each of theses projects.

meohmy01
04-10-2003, 05:53 PM
my clutch slips every once in a while and like sends me through the windshield.

DanG86LX
04-10-2003, 06:16 PM
racinevrywhere said fuel pump not water pump, the one in the gas tank. They seem to die unexpectedly or be intermittent. I just change mine, it was the original one..

Anyway, u have to get this electrical problem first (carb would be the last). Check the battery, ground connection to battery and engine. Does the bat-light come on? Check alternator.

jay1988lx
04-10-2003, 06:28 PM
dang, thats my bad! That's how much im stressin, I really meant the fuel pump the one that sits in the gas tank, and you get to it from the trunk of the 1988 honda/lx. Dang, you sure dont miss nothing up in here. Thanks for lookin out, though.

The battery is fairly new, the connection to battery and engine is pretty solid. But, not to sure about the alternator cas I changed it about 4 months ago. I got it from the pick-n-pull and took it to autozone to get it tested. It showed good power coming from it but I wouldn't call it NEW. I guess Ill check that too.

Hey, thanks for the advice.

jay1988lx
04-10-2003, 06:32 PM
oh, no the bat-light does not come on.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
04-11-2003, 05:42 AM
If I were you I would pay Autozone a visit and check to make sure that the alt is not dieing on you. Also when you said that it jerks when you "get it going", do you mean that this is during acceleration? If so it could be that your fuel filters are clogged and once the engine starts pulling more fuel it is momentarily choked due to lack of it. There is a fuel pump testing procedure in the Shop Manual available at http://www.pauldesign.ru/ but it involves using a pressure gauge to test pump output. Try changing all of the filters (air, fuel primary, fuel secondary) as well as check your spark plugs. All these are normal maintanence things that generally need to be changed every so often and their neglect can cause undesirable operation. If you got the car just recently then it is best to service all of these areas. When I got my Accord it had crappy Champion plugs which were on their last legs from wear, dirty fuel filters, and a pretty dirty air filter. Once I changed them the difference was amazing. All these parts are pretty cheap and easy to change. Look in the shop manual for instructions on how to change the primary fuel filter in our cars.

My $.02 of knowledge.