PDA

View Full Version : acura stock suspension

shepherd79
05-31-2002, 05:27 PM
Hey,
I don't know much about suspension, i can tell when car rides nice. :stupid:
The other day i had my friends 91 integra for about a half a day, and i had a blast. i ripped that puppy.
The question i have is that: will the stock springs from 90-93 integra fit on our cars? The reason i am asking is that i don't want to lower my car, i need every single inch of the clearence to get to my bosses house. So i want stiffer suspension without lowering. Please don't tell me go with 1" drop, i won't do it.
i need the clearence. :werd:
so will it fit or not?
is there anyother way to make suspension stiffer without loosing the clearence.
thanks a lot guys.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-01-2002, 07:35 PM
I don't think the springs off the 2nd gen teg will fit on our cars. But if push comes to shove I could make some phone calls to find out, but I really doubt it.

As far as going stiffer, without lowering, yes you can. Buy a set of ground control coilovers and get them with a set of longer springs. I pretty sure it would cost extra to do that. If you interested to to their web site and get their phone number and talk to them. They are very nice and know their stuff.
www.ground-control.com

shepherd79
06-02-2002, 08:39 AM
Thanks Jim,
I am gonna do more research see if i can find more info.
Thanks again.

hondaman87
06-02-2002, 08:58 AM
yo alex they will fit but u got to change the upper section because the acura has 2 bolts and the acc. has 3 as far as I know mostly all of the suspention parts will fit

good luck

Jims 86LXI HB
06-02-2002, 09:01 AM
I'd start at your local junk yard and bring a tape measure. If my local junk yard had any civics or teg's I would have allready gone their and I would have told you my findings, but they don't.

You can also call Bilstein and or Koni and find out if the struts minimum and maximum length matches up. They both have pretty much all the dimensions for every application they make. I'm not sure if the spring makers would be able to provide any usefull info.

AccordChemist
06-02-2002, 12:07 PM
bah! just go with a 1-2" drop!!

sorry, had to......;) :D

shepherd79
06-02-2002, 05:19 PM
oh wow,
i think the junk yard i go to has 89 integra, but i am not sure how is suspension on those.
did anyone drive the first gen. integra and compared with our accord? and i am not talking about engine, i want to know the suspension deal.
but i will be at my junk yard sometimes this week.
those cars sit there for like month and nothing happens to them.
Are there any diff. between LX and LXI suspension? :stupid:
what is the spring rating in pounds for our accord? and 89 integra?
thanks a lot guys.
i love this forum.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-02-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by hondaman87
yo alex they will fit but u got to change the upper section because the acura has 2 bolts and the acc. has 3 as far as I know mostly all of the suspention parts will fit

good luck

I'd love to hear how you came to this conculsion. And do you have the same opinion about the 4th gen accord? What makes you think most all of the suspension parts will fit?

Jims 86LXI HB
06-02-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by shepherd79
oh wow,
i think the junk yard i go to has 89 integra, but i am not sure how is suspension on those.
did anyone drive the first gen. integra and compared with our accord? and i am not talking about engine, i want to know the suspension deal.
but i will be at my junk yard sometimes this week.
those cars sit there for like month and nothing happens to them.
Are there any diff. between LX and LXI suspension? :stupid:
what is the spring rating in pounds for our accord? and 89 integra?
thanks a lot guys.
i love this forum.

Don't bother with the 1st gen teg, they don't have springs on the front suspension, they use torsion bars. And the rear isn't independent, it's a beam axle. Over all the whole suspension is a rather lame setup.

The difference between LX and LXI suspension is that the LXI got a rear sway bar. When you look at the 86-87 to 88-89 cars the 88-89 LXI's got a tiny bit larger sway bars (1/16" bigger in the front and 1/32" bigger in the rear), but not enough to bother with. If your car doesn't have a rear sway bar, adding one will reduce the understeer you have now.

spring rates for the 3rd gen accord are FT@211lbs REAR@117lbs

And here's an additional bit of info. When suspension techniques makes a 2" drop spring for our car it is 365lbs front 230lbs rear
When suspension techniques makes a 2" drop spring for the 90-93 integra it is 425lbs front and 215lbs rear. If you used the spring rates that they mean for the teg, your car will understeer more then if you used the springs ment for our cars. That's not to say that the stock teg springs are that way, but it makes me wonder,...hmmmm.