PDA

View Full Version : take my foot off the gas and it dies?

meohmy01
04-10-2003, 05:49 PM
it was running fine then i ripped my exaust off coming into my driveway with it. i ripped it right out of the cat so it was hanging down so i was going to take it off and micky it somehow. i was going to take it off including the header but i couldn't get those stupid little pipes out of it. so i put it all back together and just tied up the cat and now when you take your foot off the gas it just dies. like you turned the key to the off position. it doesn;t even cough and jerk like usual.

IWLSF
04-10-2003, 06:14 PM
Took the pipes off the header? You didnt fuck with the O2 sensor did you? That would be the only problem if you had touched the header. The engine will run with or without exhaust, but the O2's control a ton of shit.

meohmy01
04-10-2003, 06:23 PM
no i couldn't get it off and it was getting dark so i just put it back together for the night. and an 02 sensor hasn'tr been hooked up for quite some time. before it ran the same before and after the wire from it got tangled up in my air ratchet thing. this is something totally new. out of the blue. i took off the egr valve thing but put it back on. i had to take it off to get to a bolt that fell behind it

meohmy01
04-10-2003, 06:52 PM
how much could an oxy sensor possibly do? it's only a single wire. i the one on the 94 disconnected ofr a month and it didn't do anything and that one is a 4 wire.

anchovies
04-10-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by meohmy01
how much could an oxy sensor possibly do? it's only a single wire. i the one on the 94 disconnected ofr a month and it didn't do anything and that one is a 4 wire.

It's like having your own nurse check your crap and feeding you the nutriens that you lack so that you could run the 10k marathon in 30 mins.

A20A1
04-11-2003, 02:20 AM
Explain what you did to the EGR again? you may have a large vacuum leak.

As for the O2 sensor you don't need it like you would on an EFI car.

meohmy01
04-11-2003, 11:09 AM
well im not even sure that's what it was. but i had to take it off to get to a bolt and then i took it apart because i was curious.

POS carb
04-11-2003, 11:14 AM
sounds like your slow mixture solenoid is not recieving power.

meohmy01
04-11-2003, 11:15 AM
ingles?

meohmy01
04-11-2003, 11:16 AM
id love to go and play with it but it's suppose to rain over an inch in the next few hours.

POS carb
04-11-2003, 11:21 AM
oh yea it's on the back of the carb, a brass cylindrical object with 1 wire coming out. If that wire isn't connected it will make the car not idle but it will not affect anything else in the rev range

meohmy01
04-11-2003, 11:29 AM
ok. i just went out and started it. i noticed a few things (besides the giant cloud of blue smoke)

1. it will not start unless you floor it

2. fast idle is at 5000+ rpm?

3. below around 2500rpm it basically just shuts off

4. rpms seem to be going by much quicker than usual.

POS carb
04-11-2003, 11:00 PM
it's flooding up
check your vacuum hoses

maxoutracer
04-12-2003, 02:02 AM
i guess you o2 sensor is unplugged, i guess you felt that extra power from the motor, the o2 control the air/fuel mixture. once unplug it will burn more gas but you will notice the extra power. if you muffler system broken off it will not affect any part of the engine, my friend running just down pipr from his exhaust manifold and it's fucking loud, lol... you got blue smoking coming out of your car? hehe you burning oil, hopefully it's not the head gasket or pistion ring, try doing a compression test.

meohmy01
04-12-2003, 07:07 AM
im buying a new engine once i get the money. but id still like to fix this one just for the hell of it and the experiance. my exhaust actually broke off of the cat. i had to tie the cat up with some string so it wouldn't drag on the ground. i was going to take the header off but couldn't get the pipe things off of it since i didn't have much time since it was getting dark out so i just put it all back together.

meohmy01
04-12-2003, 07:09 AM
i did do a compression test but the results weren't consistant with a blown head gasket. just some extreme carbon build up and a really worn engine.