PDA

View Full Version : absolute BEST 2.25" springs

88 Accord DX
04-11-2003, 08:30 AM
hey i need to know what are the absolute BEST lowering springs i can get that lower 2.25". also how much are they and where can i get them. also second or third best would be good too. thanks in advance.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-11-2003, 08:42 AM
Well you can get ground controls (coilovers). So do you want to buy that weber air cleaner now?

88 Accord DX
04-11-2003, 08:49 AM
someone told me that coilovers are bouncier than springs. i would much rather have coilovers just so i can customize the height. are ground controls the best coilovers???

what are the measurements on the opening of that filter? i still might get it.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-11-2003, 08:52 AM
I have no idea if coilovers are bouncier but I bet with the right shocks and struts they'd be fine. I'm sure Jim will re educate us :D

Mike's89AccordLX
04-11-2003, 09:06 AM
I just took some measurements and the weber aircleaner for the opening is 4.5" by 2.75". I also measured the stock carb opening and it's 3.25" diameter. The weber aircleaner can be easily modded to fit the stock carb. I have been making so much stuff lately and modding this would be really easy even for a noob to do. So I think you can handle it.

Jims 86LXI HB
04-11-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by 88 Accord DX
someone told me that coilovers are bouncier than springs. i would much rather have coilovers just so i can customize the height. are ground controls the best coilovers???

Bounce is NEVER the fault of the spring or the coilover. It is the fault of running a too weak strut. Run the right strut and you will be fine. All lowering springs and coilovers require you to run struts that are up to the task and that means no weak aftermarket sturts either, like Tokico H.P.s, Kyb GR-2's or Bilstein H.D.'s. The minimum strut to run with a lowered 3g are Koni specials. Even then, some coilovers are to stiff for even the koni's and they should be revalved or the Bilstein H.D.s could be revalved and used.

GC coilovers are the best coilover you can get for our cars, they are expensive. But they arern't so incredibily stiff like some others where you really need to spend allot more on revalved struts. CG's can be run with standard Koni's.

You really don't have much in the way of choices like some other cars for springs. Arospeed and sprint are really the only 2.25" drop springs I know of. www.nopionline.com carries the sprints and www.arospeed.com carries their springs or they can get you the name of a place that carries them.

Coilovers use a different type of spring design then just lowering springs. Most lowering springs are progressive. That's where the first part of the springs travel is softer, then it gets much harder. Coilovers use linear springs, they are at their full stiffness as soon as the suspension starts to move. Linear springs have better responce, but will feel stiffer in everyday use, especially over small bumps. I for one would want the better responce though.

Jims 86LXI HB
04-11-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
I have no idea if coilovers are bouncier but I bet with the right shocks and struts they'd be fine. I'm sure Jim will re educate us :D

:lol :werd:

Mike's89AccordLX
04-11-2003, 09:18 AM
I think I'm finally learning Jim!!!! I thoguht that it was the struts and shocks that would make it bouncy not the the coilovers or springs. Yeah for me!! :lol: I'm buying a Ingalls camber kit and will buy some more items soon when I get another job.

88 Accord DX
04-11-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
.....this would be really easy even for a noob to do. So I think you can handle it.

Did you just call me a noob. ill show you. yeah next week when i get some money ill get it.

and jim thanks. i knew the struts controlled most of the boucning but i thought springs played some part. looks like im gonna go with the coilovers.

88 Accord DX
04-11-2003, 09:33 AM
also 90-97 springs and coilovers fit with no mods right?

Mike's89AccordLX
04-11-2003, 09:33 AM
No I didn't just call you a noob. I was saying a noob could do it. And I meant that I think you'd be able to do it easily like I would. PM me when you get the money.

88 Accord DX
04-11-2003, 09:36 AM
alright i'll PM you. i was just playing around with the noob thing :)

IWLSF
04-11-2003, 04:34 PM
You just asked a question I'm curious about now, but nobody replied. Does anyone know? 90-97 springs/coilovers work?

Mike's89AccordLX
04-11-2003, 07:07 PM
I think that the answer to all coilover and spring questions concerning will these ones work are in the FAQ's. I can't remember the answer but your answer is in the FAQ's.

I'll help you out with a few links.
Coilovers:
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9652
and
Lowering Springs
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68

IWLSF
04-11-2003, 07:18 PM
Thanks man.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-11-2003, 07:20 PM
No problem. I owe all I know about suspension to the man up stairs..... Jim :)

IWLSF
04-11-2003, 07:44 PM
Jim, just out of curiousity, how do you possess so much suspension knowledge? Do you SCCA race professionally or something?

Mike's89AccordLX
04-11-2003, 07:47 PM
I'm sure he'll tell you from experience. Trial and error. Experimentation with different shocks and struts. And probably working with suspension or something. :bow: JIM :bow: