PDA

View Full Version : Shortshifters?!?!?!

Rosen99
04-11-2003, 11:31 AM
The one problem I have w/ the inside of my car now is the damn 4" tall Gear-Shifter!!! I want a shorter one.....who makes em and what is the best?!!?!?!...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....:bow:

Mike's89AccordLX
04-11-2003, 11:42 AM
Pacesetter has the cheapest one and DC Sports has the most expensive one. I have the pacesetter short shifter and I really like it. The pacesetter shifter is adjustable and I like it. Talk to Oldschool if you want to buy one. Racing Impulse Requests

bobafett
04-11-2003, 11:49 AM
if you get a "short shifter" i dont think it changes the hieght of the shifter that much. what is does do is change the leverage on the shifter linkage, so you dont have to move it as far to put it into gear..

if you want a shorter lever, just chop a chunk out 2-3" and weld it back tegether with a bolt inside so it doesnt break..

Mike's89AccordLX
04-11-2003, 12:37 PM
I did notice that the pacesetter one is a little shorter than stock. But yeah if you are just looking to achieve looks and not performance just chop the stock one and weld it back shorter.

Rosen99
04-11-2003, 03:06 PM
Hey Mike.....I noticed the pacesetter one is adjustable...probably the one im gonna get....I am lokoing for the performance aspect the most when I get it....I guess what Im loking for is something as short as say a MOMO shortshifter....w/ that short stubby VW or BMW feeling I guess....Can the Pacesetter get that low or not?

IWLSF
04-11-2003, 03:26 PM
Shit, take the PaceSetter one, chop it off, and re-weld it, making it even shorter lol.

Grant2k
04-11-2003, 04:28 PM
first, use the search button. this has been talked about so many times.

anyway, i have the Pacesetter and it's fine. but rather than welding one, why doesn't somebody chop down a stock one and tap new threads on top? you could put it on a lathe and get it down to the right size and then cut the threads. that would be stronger than welding.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-11-2003, 07:04 PM
I actually drove a Toyota MR2 Spider and that came with a short shifter and yes it can get that low. I had mine set that low at the begining but you'll find out it's harder than fu*k to shift in some gears due to hitting the torque rod. I have the ball set at about 3/4 the way up the threads. It's still shorter than the stock shifter and it shifts like a dream. I think I will eventually move the ball up slightly to try and get it perfect. And for the price you can't go wrong.

hky85accord
04-12-2003, 07:25 AM
which one do you use? I've not seen one specific to the 3rd (or in my case 2nd) generation accord. I have one from my 90 Civic, would it work? I know it will fit practically every civic and integra.

PhydeauX
04-12-2003, 10:28 AM
I use a pacesetter in my 2nd gen. Some slight modification to the linkage is required, but thats about it. The bottom of the 3rd gen shifter is about 1/4" wider then the 2nd gen. Just bend it and get a longer bolt and you're fine. A shifter from an 84-88 civic will also work along with one from a 84-87 prelude. While you're installing it its a good idea to get an energy suspension shifter bushing kit fon an 84-88 civic. It only costs about $15 and makes a nice diference.

andy

hky85accord
04-12-2003, 07:31 PM
do ya mean 84-87 civic? b/c the 4th gen civic (88-91) and newer use the same shifter, technically mine was labled for a 92 or above civic or integra, however it worked fine in my 90 civic.

PhydeauX
04-12-2003, 07:39 PM
84-87.

hky85accord
04-12-2003, 08:43 PM
I'm gonna try mine anyway, I read somewhere there was minor differences between the 3rd gen civics/1st gen crx and the 4th gen civics/2nd gen crx