PDA

View Full Version : prelude arms?

upstateaccord
05-31-2002, 08:12 PM
dont mean to sound stupid(i work on toyota's for a living), but what will a prelude arm switch do?, also what period do you need to use? Thanks guys for any response

jigga225
05-31-2002, 09:31 PM
man so some research on these boards and find out.
No. Really...But to make it easy 4 you.... we use the prelude arms as a way of NOT buying a camber kit when we drop our cars. If you dont have a drop, you don't need it.
The camber on a prelude can be adjusted, and not on our cars because the ball joint is fixed in one spot. The prelude arms have a slot they can slide along

ACCORD EX
06-01-2002, 06:09 AM
i think they change to prelude arms because you can buy the ball joints seperately ! not with arm like our cars ! :D

MIKE

accordlx
06-02-2002, 01:27 AM
Both answers are correct. The 2nd gen Prelude A arms are adjustable and allow us camber adjustment. (Even more so than an Ingalls camber kit.) I think that I measured almost 7 degrees of adjustment with my kid's plastic protractor. The ball joints are also way cheaper for the Preludes. I replaced both sides on my car for what it would cost to replace one side for a stock accord.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-02-2002, 08:33 AM
I think that I measured almost 7 degrees of adjustment with my kid's plastic protractor.

protractor? Wouldn't the ametuer model work? Or does the pro-one also do pulls and plow in half the time? :stick: :D (really big grin) JK!!!!:lol :lol :lol

CoAsTeR
06-02-2002, 10:51 AM
you can use the prelude arms to do all 4 wheels??? :confused:

AccordEXI
06-02-2002, 01:37 PM
The 2nd gen Preludes use a rear MacPherson strut style set up, so there is no upper arm.

CoAsTeR
06-02-2002, 02:03 PM
so you'd have to at least buy a camber kit for our rear end then?

accordlx
06-02-2002, 04:07 PM
If you dont try to tuck the rear wheels, a competent alignment tech can shim the camber out enough to get the car back to OEM camber so the answer is no. (I have a 2 fingers gap between the fender and tire and was told by my alignment tech that he would have no problem shimming the rear end of my car even more than that if I had gone down lower.)

OldSchoolSwap
06-03-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by accordlx
Both answers are correct. The 2nd gen Prelude A arms are adjustable and allow us camber adjustment. (Even more so than an Ingalls camber kit.) I think that I measured almost 7 degrees of adjustment with my kid's plastic protractor. The ball joints are also way cheaper for the Preludes. I replaced both sides on my car for what it would cost to replace one side for a stock accord.
7 degrees of adjustment? :eek:
I went out to the junkyard today and got a set. Preping for my new ride!
I had the best shop in town (Miami Chassis) do my camber settings on all 4.
Thier method in correcting camber in the front is to bend the arms slightly untill camber reaches stock specs (Not dangerous, approved by some "what ever department of the law").

The back was shimmed.

I did buy the prelude arms to prevent bending on the new arms. Hey if there's a better way to do things, why not do them? I always say! ;)

upersleder
06-03-2002, 07:37 PM
for the rear i went to NAPA and they have an adjustable link to replace the upper arm on accords. it has lots of adjustment and is stronger than stock.

AccordChemist
06-03-2002, 08:05 PM
i have a 2" drop and my camber is perfect in the rear....so i dont really know why you need a camber adjustment in the rear.....just use prelude arms for front...

OldSchoolSwap
06-04-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by mike89lxi
i have a 2" drop and my camber is perfect in the rear....so i dont really know why you need a camber adjustment in the rear.....just use prelude arms for front...
wow! thats a first!:confused:

AccordChemist
06-07-2002, 02:50 PM
whats a first? i dont see anything in my post being a "first"...

accordlx
06-07-2002, 09:02 PM
The first that he is talking about is you dropping your car 2" in the back and your camber not needing adjustment. The correct rear camber adjustment for our cars is 0 degrees. It is impossible to lower your car 2" and have the OEM camber specs be correct.

Afrosheen
06-07-2002, 11:53 PM
What's the correct rear camber for Mercedes and BMW? I've noticed for a long time they have negative camber from the factory, supposedly helps rear-wheel drive cars corner better.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-08-2002, 06:05 AM
The first that he is talking about is you dropping your car 2" in the back and your camber not needing adjustment. The correct rear camber adjustment for our cars is 0 degrees. It is impossible to lower your car 2" and have the OEM camber specs be correct.

Good greif, why are we not agreeing on this? Why do I see people on both sides of the fence? Kinda makes me pull my hair out when trying to establish a firm personel policy on the matter of rear camber. :huh: I don't have a drop that low so I kinda have to go by what your experiences are. And you all are making that a tuff policy choice.:crying:

AccordChemist
06-08-2002, 11:36 AM

well if you would like you can take a trip here to missouri and check my rear camber...and the same for all you non-believers...otherwise dont accuse me of not knowing what im talking about. oh while you all are in missouri checkin my camber we can have a big meet here!! yay