PDA

View Full Version : Changing front motor mount

Mantis88LX
04-11-2003, 05:08 PM
how hard is it to change the front motor mount? its the one right beside the exaust manifold on teh left.

it doesnt look to hard to change just wondering if i could get some tips before i go to work.

also were should / how should i jack the engine up to suport it while i change the mount?

thanx

mindlos
04-11-2003, 05:24 PM
I think the Haynes manual suggests under the oil pan. And you have to put a wooden board between the oil pan and the jack to protect it. I dont know about the mount.

IWLSF
04-11-2003, 07:14 PM
The mount is fairly simple. Best to place a piece of wood on top of the jack, and then place the jack/wood as flat as you can under the oil pan to hold up the motor. Make sure it's a fairly wide piece of wood. Probably something atleast 8" x 8".

Mike's89AccordLX
04-11-2003, 08:37 PM
Yeah the mount doesn't look too hard to replace. How can you tell if it is worn? What are some symtoms? I don't have my manual with or else I would look it up. I know I can move that little bar thing to the left and right (wiggling it) is that bad?

IWLSF
04-12-2003, 05:44 AM
Are you referring to the top engine mount connected to the firewall? If that one moves back and forth, it's not a problem. That's common and the movement provides the engine with some variety if it needs it. You dont want something too rigid or it may cause problems when that engine torques.

DBMaster
04-12-2003, 10:56 AM
I have replaced this mount as well as the rear one. If you are replacing the front lower you also need to replace the rear. You will end up with worse vibration. Even thought the rear does not look worn, it is. I learned this from the Honda dealer and my own personal experience.

I have trouble getting the engine jacked up enough to clear the stud on the front mount. I ended up having to unbolt the bracket from the engine first. Since you can only do that with a wrench it was a pain. If your mount is actually broken be careful when you remove it or you will spill that nasty oil from inside the mount.

Once you are done with both mounts you will think it worth the effort though as it almost seems like you have a new engine because the vibration is so much less.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-12-2003, 11:08 AM
I think I should replace my motor mounts b/c my motor shakes a bit and it kinda shakes the car a little bit. I just figured it was just all the power of the A20A1 !!!!!

MrBen
04-12-2003, 11:12 AM
I think I need to replace mine. When I press the gas pedal, shift, or brake, my steering wheel movies left to right a little. Doesn't affect steering, but it's really annoying.