PDA

View Full Version : Hoodscoop almost ready!

Mike's89AccordLX
04-12-2003, 12:52 AM
I finally got around to trying to get this project finished. I sanded the hoodscoop and primed it and wet sanded it and prime it again and then sprayed it with this metallic beige paint I got from wal-mart. Looked similar to my car from in the store. Well after 5 coats of the paint it looked nothing like the car. So I was pissed and I improvised and looked at my silver spray paint and had a thought. The metallic beige was just to gold to match the color of my car. I have the champagne color car (goldish silver) Well what I did was stood like 4 feet away and misted the silver paint over the hoodscoop. Well I think it turned out really well for not having an exact color match to start out with. I put three coats of clear on it so far. I plan to put one more coat on just to be safe. I haven't had the chance to put the hoodscoop on the hood since I put the clear on so I don't know how good of a match it was. I think it looks pretty close and good enough (before I put the clear on, my g/f said I should put a clear on so it doesn't give it a matte finish and it will have a shinny finish and blend better that way).

I have my custom plex-glass ram air box made and ready for the hoodscoop to be installed. I'm waiting on the AEM air bypass valve from Oldschool to get here before I install it. I will have to shorten up my intake to make it fit in this spot. The hoodscoop will be right in front and to the right of the pass. windshield washer. I just place it on the hood and looked at it from all angles and it looks pretty good.

I was told I can glue the hoodscoop on the hood. Does anyone know what glue to use or does anyone suggest another method. Keep in mind this is temporary and will be professionally blended when I get my car totally redone. So I don't plan to fiber glass it on or blend it to the hood with putty. Thanks a lot guys.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-12-2003, 01:42 AM
The hoodscoop is from www.jcw.com It's that hard plastic kind. Later on I will line it with fiberglass and make it stronger.

IWLSF
04-12-2003, 05:29 AM
Sounds cool man, I cant wait to see the finished product. I'm surprised you managed to paint it from 4 feet away lol, that had to have been a really really fine mist.

As far as adhesives go, I'd try using some stuff called Goop. I bought it from Ace Hardware a year ago or so to glue my bumper corners on my pickup, and after letting it set for 24 hours (recommended) I came back out to check it out and the stuff was like cement. I couldnt pull it off. The surfaces used in that situation were a metal/steel bumper, with plastic corners, so I think that would be a good adhesive for you to use. And really, I think you can use it for practically anything...

crwa
04-12-2003, 09:07 AM
The best way to do a scoop is to use pop rivits to attach it to the hood, and then to bond over them to smooth everything to give it a one piece look. After everything has set it won't go anywhere, it will be part of the car forever. I wouldn't recommend glue, because it has the potential to break down or to crack later on.
And because its glue... would a body shop put something or your car with glue??? No, so don't use glue, use a method that will last and never break down, plus the scoop will have pressure and force acting on it when the car is driving which cause potential for it to lift and that could cause the glue to seperate or cause it to crack or start to seperate.

My buddy used rivits and bondo on his roof scoop and it looked like it came with the car from the factory, it was perfect and the rivits didn't show at all. After it was all painted the car and scoop were perfect.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-12-2003, 10:05 AM
Um I actually got the idea from a guy that owns his own body shop. There's a glue that costs $70 a bottle that creates a bond just as good as welding does. What do you need to put rivots on? I thought of putting silicone on the hoodscoop and using rivots but I don't have a rivot gun.

A20A1
04-12-2003, 06:30 PM
Yeah at least add 2 rivets to either side near the opening... on a few of my scoops I even had to add bolts to hold the thing down... it really depends on how big the opening is.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-12-2003, 07:02 PM
The opening is 1" high by about 6" or 7" wide. How do you put rivots in it? I'll probably have a friend put it on. Do you think I should put some primer on the edge of the hole I cut in the hood so it won't rust? How big of a hole should I cut in the hood? The scoop is about a foot long and 8 or 9 inches wide. Is there a certain kind of rivot or bolt that I should use?

A20A1
04-13-2003, 12:41 AM
If it's plastic you may want to use some thin stainless steel washers as a backing so the rivets don't pop back out.

When you go to repaint the hood or whatever just drill the top of the rivet out so you can remove the washer and rivet... then put the finishing touches on the scoop then just pop a new rivet back it after the hood work is complete.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-13-2003, 12:45 AM
So I have to drill a little hole and put a rivot in there? I don't have a rivot gun so I don't know how they work.

Strahan
04-13-2003, 08:32 AM
Pop rivets would be a quite permanent way to do it, but don't discount glue based solutions. Back when I was a young fool I did the same thing on my Dodge Shadow. I used a JCW plastic scoop, a small one. I bought some of the two-sided gluetape that they use to put logos on with and attached it to the lower quarterpanels behind the doors (sorta like brake coolers). I had that on there for a month or two just held by the gluetape and I had driven over 100 mph to see if it would rip off. I took it off when I realized how ricey it was, hehe. That glue shit is tough.

PS.. not that I think the hood idea is ricey, I mean non-functional brake coolers are ricey :)

Mike's89AccordLX
04-13-2003, 10:51 AM
Well I think I'm just going to use 8 pop rivots and silicone. What size rivot should I use? I don't think the scoop looks too bad on the hood. I mean it won't be the greatest looking b/c I'm not going to blend it and stuff now but hey I've had the scoop before christmas and that shows how lazy I can be. I woke up one day and was like damn I need to finish this. So I made the box and painted the scoop. And bought the AEM air bypass valve.

Justin86
04-13-2003, 04:19 PM
You have to get some pics of this when it is all done. It sounds like is is pretty sweet. I can't wait to see it.

netfreak
04-13-2003, 04:49 PM
Hey Mike do you have a URL on jcwhitney of the hood scoop you bought? I can't seem to find any on the site.

Strahan
04-13-2003, 04:57 PM
I dunno which one exactly Mike is referring to, but here is a link with several styles:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=55409&BQ=jcw2

I had style N on my Shadow.

A20A1
04-16-2003, 05:10 PM
Do you have pics of it installed yet?

netfreak
04-16-2003, 09:35 PM
The hood scoop I want to get is off an '82 capri. If anyone has access to one, I'd be interested in buying it.