PDA

View Full Version : A/C fuse keeps blowing aaargh

tigeraid
04-12-2003, 09:32 AM
k, my A/C doesn't work, '86 Carbed LX, as we know the A/C and the defrost share a 10A fuse. Worked all winter with the defrost, and I'd tested the A/C briefly before winter and it was okay (but only for a few minutes)... this spring, first hot day, I put the A/C on and POOF blown fuse. Replace the fuse, defrost works fine, try the A/C POOF blows it again. Obviously the fuse is not at fault, I'm thinking there's a short somewhere feeding too much power to the a/c circuit? Does anybody have diagrams of the a/c wiring, or where I can start to look for problems? Is this a known issue? HELP, IT'S GETTING HOT ;)

cruznz
04-12-2003, 03:02 PM
i can email you a diagram pic.

Do you have a multi-meter?...what sort of amps is a/c drawing?

tigeraid
04-12-2003, 06:21 PM
yes, I do, haven't done any troubleshooting yet, will do so on monday. I'd appreciate the email, [email protected]

Einstein
04-12-2003, 06:57 PM
Mine did this when the refrigerant was all gone.

I disconnected the "double-diode" from behind the radiator so that inadvertantly pressing A/C will not blow fuse (#5 I think).

I don't care if my 3G has A/C, as long as all the windows and the sunroof open.

tigeraid
04-13-2003, 03:27 AM
interesting... any way to check if the refrigerant is gone?

Mike's89AccordLX
04-13-2003, 03:49 AM
I wouldn't mess with that stuff can burn you I think, I would go to a shop and have them recharge your refrigerant if needed.

IWLSF
04-13-2003, 06:57 AM
More than likely one of the wires running through your firewall has stripped itself of insulation, and everytime you're turning the AC on, that wire is arcing and touching metal, causing the fuse to blow. I've seen it happen multiple times.

tigeraid
04-13-2003, 08:06 AM
that's what I'm assuming is happening and I'll find out tomorrow. And no, I wasn't planning on refilling refrigerant on my own, I was just asking if you know of a way to check it. Btw, is our system R12 or the new stuff? I hope don't need an upgrade

ACCORD EX
04-13-2003, 08:52 AM
our systems are R12 !
anyway ! if you don't have R12 left in your system teh AC won't work ! i mean the clutch won't engage and even teh led on the AC switch won't come on ! that was my case yesterday after i replaced my compressor !

MIKE

ACCORD EX
04-13-2003, 08:56 AM
BTW here is the diagram !
my bet is on the clutch relay as you can see in the diagram!

http://members.fortunecity.com/accordex87/ac_diagram.jpg

Einstein
04-13-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
I wouldn't mess with that stuff can burn you I think, I would go to a shop and have them recharge your refrigerant if needed.

Can you provide more information as to where these wires are located on the firewall? Thanks...

tigeraid
04-13-2003, 06:50 PM
yes that would be appreciated, I have the diagram already, I'm more interested in practical application hehe

ACCORD EX
04-14-2003, 05:07 AM
are you talking to me guys ??

MIKE

tigeraid
04-14-2003, 09:36 AM
yes

POS carb
04-14-2003, 10:59 AM
disconnect the wire going to the compressor and simulate turning on the a/c. if it blows there's a short probably

ACCORD EX
04-14-2003, 12:08 PM
yes try what ERIC just said ! ! you wil find the harness near the condenser's bottom drivers side !
if it doesn't blow , so it's your clutch relay which is held by a 10 mm screw in teh same area !

good luck

MIKE

tigeraid
04-14-2003, 03:33 PM
well I messed around with it today for a while... the compressor doesn't make any noise like it's seizing, I traced the wiring as best I could but I really couldn't find it under the hood--under the dash all the wiring looks good tho, no bare wires, shorts, frays or anything like that. I'm beginning to think it might just be out of refrigerant like you were saying, but after I put the fuse in the light comes on REAL briefly, just flicks, then the fuse blows. So not sure if being out of refrigerant is the case either. I'm gonna go ask an a/c shop tomorrow

ACCORD EX
04-15-2003, 01:16 AM
did you do what i and POS CARB said !
disconnect the compressor wire and try it ! if it doesn't blow it's your clutch relay ! also check the resistance between the compressor wire and it's body ( ground ) should be 3 > 4 ohms !

ad no it 's now out of gas teh gonna make the fuse blow !

MIKE