PDA

View Full Version : how do i swap engines without messing with refridgerant?

meohmy01
04-12-2003, 06:39 PM
i have a dx that has no a/c that im taking the motor out of and im putting it into an lx that has a/c. how do i take the compressor off of the lx engine and swapping it onto the dx engine witout losing freon or whatever it's called now.

88accordlxcarb
04-12-2003, 07:27 PM
You cant, unless you can take the system, pipes and everything(including the condenser under the dash) out with out opening ANY line, valve or anything. Any slight leak and you will be in a world of trouble.

Jareds 89 LX-i
04-12-2003, 07:36 PM
All you need to disconnect is the compressor from the bracket, and the electrical connection going to the compressor. The compressor has 3 or 4 bolts depending on which one you have (2 on top, and 1 or 2 on the bottom). Yank that off and tuck it out of the way when you swap the motors, then bolt it on the new one. Be sure and take the compressor bracket off the old motor after you pull it out, and bolt it on the new one before reinstalling the new compressor

meohmy01
04-13-2003, 05:24 AM
and you have done this? this is what we did on my other car but these lines are much older and the engine bay is smaller. but if ayone has done this id like to know because it would make me feel a little better about it.

IWLSF
04-13-2003, 06:53 AM
So long as none of the hi or lo lines are disconnected, either from the compressor, condensor, receiver/dryer or evaporator, the freon wont leak. But I dont think you're going to be able to get around doing that. There's no home remedy for solving the problem either, you're going to have to take it to a shop and have them evacuate the system.

88LXi68
04-13-2003, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by IWLSF
There's no home remedy for solving the problem either, you're going to have to take it to a shop and have them evacuate the system.

hehe just turn a couple bolts and walk away :P :D

IWLSF
04-13-2003, 07:04 AM
LoL....

ACCORD EX
04-13-2003, 08:50 AM
man ! that would be pretty difficult ! i just did an AC job ! and moving the compressor with the lines still connected to it is nearly impossible ! or you will damage the lines and it will cost you an arm and a leg to buy these lines !
what i did was discharge the system , and went recharging and evacuating in the same day ! ( so i won't be needing a new dryer ! )

MIKE

meohmy01
04-13-2003, 12:38 PM
i can't have it discharged. it's not drivable.

ACCORD EX
04-13-2003, 03:18 PM
so your best bet is to get the bracket off ( pain in the ass ) and ask some one to hold for you ( or tie it to something till you get the new engine in ! not sure if that will work ! but that the only thing that i can think about !

MIKE

meohmy01
04-13-2003, 04:13 PM
my thought was bungy cords. ill just bungy cord it to something. that way it's flexable and all that good shit.

do you think it would be safe to lift the engine a few inches and then remove it? since it would be more accesible.

ACCORD EX
04-14-2003, 05:05 AM
i think you will be able to do that if you get the hoses clamps at teh radiator and teh P.S reservoir out !

MIKE