PDA

View Full Version : What happened with my brakes...

Oz87Si
04-12-2003, 09:12 PM
I posted a little while ago saying that I was having sort of a grinding sound when I was putting the brakes on to come to a complete stop. It was a really low pitched sort of rubbing noise and it was giving me the shits. After about two weeks, I took it to my mechanic and he said "yeah, most likely the pads are gone...I'll put it up and take a look".

So I call him back, and the verdict was actually good. What was happening was that the pads apparently have layers and these layers wear through slowly. One of the layers on my pads is in the process of wearing through now, and thats whats making the noise. In a few weeks, there should be no sound because the layer will be gone and the new layer is taking its place.

He said I've got at least another 6 months life left on them. He said I can replace them if I want to, but what is the point when they're still working fine...

So thats the deal if you think you may have or do have the problem.

Cheers Lads

Mike's89AccordLX
04-12-2003, 09:17 PM
Well that's sorta good news. Too bad they won't last longer though.

IWLSF
04-13-2003, 06:58 AM
Congrats, it'll save you some money for now lol.

bambamky
05-06-2003, 01:40 PM
well for one thing when you replace pads there should be no noise whatsoever!
I had that problem took the brake caliper and took the slider pins out (those flat peces of metal for both pads)
more than likely your pads are sticking against the rotor or the piston is sliding them back!