PDA

View Full Version : Alarm LED's .... alternative wiring

RedneckRicer
04-12-2003, 11:13 PM
okay, i have those ghetto windshield washer LED's on my car, and i was considering an alternative way to have them on. i'll try to explain, but everyone i've told has been confused. so here it goes, The lights are grounded in the engine bay, and the power wire goes through to a switch within the car. I'd like to hook a secondary power wire to the circuit to allow the alarm to power the lights like the LED for the alarm, but also have it available to use with the other button to be on steadily. In theory, if i hooked up both power leads to it i think it should work, because only when i'm in the car driving would i have the lights on, and at that time the alarm would be disarmed and no power would go to the junction from the alarm to short circuit. and only when i was out of the car and the lights were off, would i arm my alarm. but since the lights were off it wouldn't short the circuit because the wire to the switch would have to power to it.... would this work or am i thinking myself into an electrical fire?
:eek: :burn:

Mike's89AccordLX
04-12-2003, 11:16 PM
I understood that. Um I do have to say that having them hooked up with your alarm would really lessen the life of the ricey washer. I mean led washers. :)

87Hybrid
04-13-2003, 06:42 AM
You would need a diode on the power wire comming from the alarm so you dont get any power comming in when you have the led's on from the switch.

Strahan
04-13-2003, 08:23 AM
Do you really want your wiper lights to blink all night long? Seems to me it'll just draw people to your car not to mention battery drain. Interesting idea though. I had neons once hooked to my alarm.. whenever the alarm sent juice to the parking lights it would also hit the neons so when I disarmed it the neon came on for 30 seconds and when i armed it they blinked. Looked sweet.

RedneckRicer
04-13-2003, 05:58 PM
i live out in the sticks so i don't normally have it armed at night, but since LED's last forever was why i was thinkin this, for when i'm parked in town. i figured the LED's would last for a helluva long time, how long should i expect them to last if i did this?

RedneckRicer
04-13-2003, 06:03 PM
aaannnddd, i know they're ricey, but i have eurolight sidemarkers with red bulbs, and i'd like to do an all red exterior lights, so thats why i wanna do this. and the LED's take about no power... so why not?:pimp:

TJ89Accord
04-13-2003, 09:48 PM
You would need to hook them up to a relay to run off the alarm LED. The alarm doesn't send out 12v to the LED. And the washer nozzel LEDs run right off of 12v.

tim

crwa
04-16-2003, 09:42 PM
The washer led's will run off the power going through the alarm wires, if you have a blinking light inside your car just splice off that and run a positive wire to the washers then splice it again to run both washer leds, and then do the same for the ground.

Don't worry about drainign your battery, I have blue led hooked to my alarm and I had my alarm on for 4 days and never started the car, and when I went to start it, it fired right up, so they won't drain the battery.

About your red side markers, umm, yeah, expect to get pulled over for them sooner or later, cuz side markers have to be amber. I've been pulled over three times for my blue/hyper white ones, so I'm sure they'll get you for those, but mine are still blue and I've never gotten a ticket, so just take it easy with them if your cruzin around on Broadway after 11.

Speakin of Broadway, any Oregon guys wanna go down there and do some cruzin with me later on when it gets nicer out???

TJ89Accord
04-16-2003, 10:43 PM
The washer nozzel LEDs run right off the battery, which is 12 volts. So if you just hook the wires comming out from the alarm to the washer LEDs they probably wont light up. The LED output from the alarm is less than 12v.

tim

Strahan
04-17-2003, 09:03 AM
Use a relay. I have tons of SPDT relays laying around the house for occasions like that. Run pin 30 to a good +12v source, 86 to ground, 85 to the alarm LED output, 87 to the nozzle LEDs. Be sure to use a relay with a supression circuit or throw a diode in there if not to protect the alarm's LED circuit.

Hehe.. you could also run one nozzle LED to 87 and the other to 87a and have an alternating setup :)

RedneckRicer
04-17-2003, 07:25 PM
as it is i have the side markers and the Hood LEDS on a switch, i'd like to get a relay and hook the switch to that and have red accent lighting come on with it, neon, maybe some red daytime running lights in my H4 diamonbacks, i have a lot of ideas...just gettin them to work is a bitch :D it'd be kinda cool to have the markers and hood led's 'scan' across the car, like left marker, left led, right led, right marker, that'd be kinda trick too, but too much wiring i believe.

I'd be up for cruising once the weather gets nicer, that and when i get my car to quiet down a little, leaving the college tuesday night i set off 2 car alarms on the way out :lol

TJ89Accord
04-17-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Strahan
Hehe.. you could also run one nozzle LED to 87 and the other to 87a and have an alternating setup :)

that could be cool, but then one would be lit up when the alarm was off right?

tim